Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
For all you folks that have redeemed MR for travel packages in the last couple weeks are you let the cert. float or attaching it? I may redeem for a 1>5 Cat. package this week.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: AC *P
Hi, I just transferred 200k SPG points to Marriott but it has been almost an hour and the points have not shown up yet. Is anyone having trouble or experiencing delay? TIA.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tth6133
My favorite method to extend AC/AP miles is to transfer 1 Starpoint to AC/AP. I'm not sure this SPG Platinum benefit will survive the merger, though. For redemption on CX/JL, I wouldn't use AA miles since it's much cheaper and more flexible (for stopovers, etc.) to use AS miles.
However AA program while no stopovers, many changes are free for everyone. And if miles are coming out from one account, fee is charged in full on the first ticket with only $25 per subsequent ticket.

AS now charges $125 per ticket. Given the current policy CX has adopted, it makes long range bookings very difficult, not to mention married segments are unbookable by AS or BA. With AA you can book the married segment, ticketed it and later use drop segment provision to drop the unneeded segment - if your itinerary meets the criteria, drop segment is free. Can't even do this with AS or BA as they need non-married segment availability to book to begin with.

Personally I would give a consideration on AA's still free changes feature (and the 5 days award hold feature).
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mudd_stuffin
Hi, I just transferred 200k SPG points to Marriott but it has been almost an hour and the points have not shown up yet. Is anyone having trouble or experiencing delay? TIA.
It should be instant, but lately can take longer, even overnight.

You can do the following to verify it.

To see it in your Marriott account

1) Use the app to check the balance.
2) Use the site, under Activity, use the ALL option to pull up your activity details - if the transfer is successful you would see the activity there but only shows up with the ALL option, AND does not included in your account balance online!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: AC *P
Originally Posted by Happy
It should be instant, but lately can take longer, even overnight.

You can do the following to verify it.

To see it in your Marriott account

1) Use the app to check the balance.
2) Use the site, under Activity, use the ALL option to pull up your activity details - if the transfer is successful you would see the activity there but only shows up with the ALL option, AND does not included in your account balance online!
Thanks so much for your response. I was able to see it on some pages and not others. Called in and verified that the points are there even though they don't appear on the website.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
For all you folks that have redeemed MR for travel packages in the last couple weeks are you let the cert. float or attaching it? I may redeem for a 1>5 Cat. package this week.
Attached Cat 9 package
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Waiting now day 3 for a SPG to SPG transfer (family).

I'm thinking of canceling it and doing a SPG -> Marriott and then using the family pool to redeem the specific award? (this should be instant).

Is today the last day? Or do we have until the 17th?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:51 pm

Both...

Originally Posted by philemer
If you know where and when you want to stay, and especially if the hotel is staying the same or going up in points cost, I think you will be wise to attach it. If Marriott will still allow one year extensions from the date of request or Cat changes, you should mitigate any possible losses. In my case, since the TPs are being seriously devalued, I decided to buy 13 TPs, only 3 of which are attached, all Cat 9s (I know dates, hotels and they are going up in cost). The value of getting two airlines' FF balance up to 7 figures hedges at least somewhat against whatever Marriott might do to floating certs (I'm floating across all Cats to spread the risk). I'm of course hoping they will treat these fairly, but I had too many points to just sit by and watch them devalue significantly. Ymmv. Cheers.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum; Marriott Titanium Elite; Hertz President's Circle
Any recent experience with redeeming TPs to obtain Korean Air miles? It's been 10 days since redemption and still no love in my Skypass account. Makes me greatly appreciate Korean's super generous hold policy.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
However AA program while no stopovers, many changes are free for everyone. And if miles are coming out from one account, fee is charged in full on the first ticket with only $25 per subsequent ticket.

AS now charges $125 per ticket. Given the current policy CX has adopted, it makes long range bookings very difficult, not to mention married segments are unbookable by AS or BA. With AA you can book the married segment, ticketed it and later use drop segment provision to drop the unneeded segment - if your itinerary meets the criteria, drop segment is free. Can't even do this with AS or BA as they need non-married segment availability to book to begin with.

Personally I would give a consideration on AA's still free changes feature (and the 5 days award hold feature).
Yes, I agree. There're a few other benefits that AA has over AS besides the ones you mention. For instance, the ability to mix multiple partners on the same itinerary, or the ability to add Cathay Dragon intra-Asia flights to your CX flight to HKG. However, the cost differential vs AS is substantial.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Booked my first travel package yesterday and the UA miles were in my account today.

I am currently on hold while I am booking a second package, but was told that they will expedite the AS miles from the usual 1-3 weeks to something quicker.

As a note, this is now the seventh Marriott associate I have asked about which package to purchase if my desired property will move down categories come August. This is the fifth of the seven that has advised me to purchase the lower priced category and attach it after the change (even after I asked if a floater certificate will be canceled and they said no). Only two advised to attach it to a reservation but they also had no clear answers.

Obviously, the Marriott associates do not have any depth or breadth of information, but the point is if their own associates have very little knowledge about these changes and are advising members in certain directions, and if Marriott decides to do something in a different direction than that, it seems reasonable that Marriott would need to, from at least a PR/member relationship standpoint, make this right by their members in some way.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by COMike78
Any recent experience with redeeming TPs to obtain Korean Air miles? It's been 10 days since redemption and still no love in my Skypass account. Makes me greatly appreciate Korean's super generous hold policy.
That super generous hold policy is now history. Hope they honor yours since you did it before their policy change. Also, pre-8/18, you get substantially fewer miles if you select KE for your TP.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:05 pm

Called the toll-free number yesterday past midnight and got a knowledgeable representative after waiting on hold for 5-10 minutes. Was able to change the name on my account and order a travel package in under 2 minutes.

Not once was I asked for my Marriott Rewards number or even my name! Someone spoofing my phone number could have easily emptied my account in a few minutes.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:12 pm

If I only have 200K points, is it worth to exchange 7nights (c1-5) + 50K AS miles? or use to stay for hotel?
Really not sure if I will stay in one place for 7 nights

Last edited by weever; Jul 31, 2018 at 6:13 pm Reason: grammer
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by weever
If I only have 200K points, is it worth to exchange 7nights (c1-5) + 50K AS miles? or use to stay for hotel?
Really not sure if I will stay in one place for 7 nights
Perhaps.You will likely waste some nights or have a hard time using it unless you can get over 80k in MR value at the hotel. Also, keep in mind you will be able to exchange 120k MR points for 50k AS miles (you can even do it now by exchanging the 120k MR points for 40k SPG points). No rush since this won't change. Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.