Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by osotoc
Just booked a second Cat 1-5 7-night travel package with Alaska Miles. The first I attached for a trip to Bangkok in April.
This one, which expires in a year, I'm thinking of attaching to a Cape Town Protea property.
Two things are keeping me from attaching: 1) Cape Town is cheap, so not sure it's a good bang for my buck; and 2) I'm curious what will happen to unattached certs come program merge date.

That being said, what's the possibility of extending these pre-merger certificates out another year to the summer of 2020?
I've never had 7-night certs before, but I've seen where people had no problems (or few problems) extending them.
But that was all pre-merger; post-merger may be different.

Thanks!
Mine have always been extended, but customers haven't been told by Marriott what will happen to existing unattached certificates.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by tth6133
Read it more carefully. There's no contraction at all. Lurker's statement was approved by Flueck's team.
Reading the comments here and on various blogs, it’s clear why readings comprehension tests are a thing, and that most people score well below 100%.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sinfonia
Ack! I just called to purchase the cat 6 travel package and wimped out.

The friendly and helpful fellow at the elite line (picked up right away, by the way) suggested I purchase a cat 1-5 certificate when I told him that I was wanting to use it at a property that is currently 6 but will be 4. He advised I purchase 1-5 now and then wait to attach it after the category change. I told him that I was concerned about an unattached certificate being canceled and he thought it preposterous that such a thing would occur. After he reminded me that any changes after August would then be assessed with the new price structure, I asked if attaching the certificate post-August would be considered changing the reservation and therefore defaulting to the new price structure. He did not know but seemed to think that it was against Marriott's ethics to do such a thing.

In any case, he seemed rather confident that I could purchase a 1-5 now and then attach it once the categories change.

Has anyone else been told this by Marriott associates?
Seems like good advice: book the Cat 5 certificate now, at today's rates. Then attach it to your reservation after the merger.

That's essentially a bet that today's Cat 5 will convert to tomorrow's Cat 4, which I believe is the one very easy decision for Marriott to make. It's some of the higher-category certs that get thorny.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:37 am

Hi,can anybody tell me how long does it take to post AS miles after purchasing the packages?
I purchased 7 nights Cat 7+ 120K AS miles on July 23,7 nights certificates posted in 2 days,but never got the AS miles yet.Is that normal?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by pinniped
Seems like good advice: book the Cat 5 certificate now, at today's rates. Then attach it to your reservation after the merger.

That's essentially a bet that today's Cat 5 will convert to tomorrow's Cat 4, which I believe is the one very easy decision for Marriott to make. It's some of the higher-category certs that get thorny.
I'm not so sure, a hotel I'm looking at that will be cat 5 after the merger is cat 8 now - I'd love to get a cat 6 now and be able to use it after the merger (for a cat 5) but I'd be surprised if this works out - I realize this isn't what you were saying - just pointing out how hard it is to guess what they're going to do! You're also assuming they won't force redeem the unattached cert.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by estnet
I'm not so sure, a hotel I'm looking at that will be cat 5 after the merger is cat 8 now - I'd love to get a cat 6 now and be able to use it after the merger (for a cat 5) but I'd be surprised if this works out - I realize this isn't what you were saying - just pointing out how hard it is to guess what they're going to do! You're also assuming they won't force redeem the unattached cert.
Agreed...there are lots of permutations where I can't honestly predict how Marriott will handle. In your case, booking the 6 now seems reasonably cafe.

Only thing I feel reasonably certain about is that a base package in today's world (5) will remain a base package in the new world (4). Upgrading certs unfortunately gets more expensive post-merger since it's not a 5k/nt step-up anymore.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by ANGIE2018
Hi,can anybody tell me how long does it take to post AS miles after purchasing the packages?
I purchased 7 nights Cat 7+ 120K AS miles on July 23,7 nights certificates posted in 2 days,but never got the AS miles yet.Is that normal?
My AA miles from a TP purchased on 7/25 have also not yet posted. Agent said 1-2 weeks, but also that it never takes tat long. Normal is apparently about 2 days for AA from reading other FT threads. Guess they are just very busy.

Last edited by dhacker; Jul 30, 2018 at 8:54 am
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by ANGIE2018
It is rumored that AS miles post on Wednesday.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
If Marriott can come up with a methodology (and the corresponding infrastructure) to deal the current TPs, it has to be able to work consistently for ALL the certificates, not just one kind or another. There's simply no easy certificate-conversion scheme that can cover all scenarios.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by tth6133
If Marriott can come up with a methodology (and the corresponding infrastructure) to deal the current TPs, it has to be able to work consistently for ALL the certificates, not just one kind or another. There's simply no easy certificate-conversion scheme that can cover all scenarios.
There aren't many options that allow MPG to treat each customer similarly that don't involve refunding in some fashion the number of points required to purchase the current hotel portion separately. Although I am not expecting an unrestricted number of points, I would be surprised if cancelled certificates don't at least receive a voucher equal to the base level certificate plus a refund of the points for upgraded categories.

Someone who bought the base level package with 120K in miles for 270K in points that received 45K back would have paid 225K in MR points for 120K in miles. As a standalone transaction someone might willingly exchange MR points to airline miles at a 1.88:1 ratio.

Someone who bought the base level package with 50K in miles for 200K in points that received 45K back would have paid 155K in MR points for 50K in miles. I doubt a less than 1:3 ration would be attractive to many people.

Since MR had packages with 50K, 70K, 100K, and 120K in miles, a low value forced redemption would yield significantly different cost per mile values. I would expect considerable controvery if MPG decided to adjust the value of identical hotel partial packages in order to provide a similar conversion ratio.

Although forced conversion need only occur for certificates that at some point become unattached, travel plans can and do change and scenarios that adopt penalties that weren't in place at the time a travel package was purchased seems unfair. Although I believe MPG will err on the side of being generous, I am not saying that a MPG can't do something else.

Last edited by rny321; Jul 30, 2018 at 10:07 am Reason: Clarified language based on OssianBlue's feedback.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:01 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by dhacker
My AA miles from a TP purchased on 7/25 have also not yet posted. Agent said 1-2 weeks, but also that it never takes tat long. Normal is apparently about 2 days for AA from reading other FT threads. Guess they are just very busy.
Same boat as you - 7/25 TP purchase, no AA miles yet. My only concern is that the confirmation email I got from Marriott showed the redemption occurred (and Marriott account reflects the certificate/decreased point balance), but there's nothing evidencing the mileage transfer to AA, and the confirmation email actually says to allow up to 6 weeks for mileage transfer...

Last edited by dwbf11; Jul 30, 2018 at 9:24 am
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by estnet
Yes, what makes me hesitant to do this is if they cancel my certificate because it is unattached.

I am also considering getting a second TP for a property that is currently 8 and will be 5, so I would also need to leave that unattached.

It seems it would be unfair of Marriott to cancel my unattached certificate if the Marriott agent is specifically telling me to purchase it and attach it after August. At the same time, it also seems as if I am taking advantage of Marriott by wanting the benefits of the new program (e.g. cat 8 hotel will now be a 5 so I only need a cat 5 TP) but still wanting to pay the price structure of the old program.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by rny321
Someone who bought the base level package with 120K in miles for 270K in points that received 45K back would have paid 225K in MR points for 120K in miles. While that isn't a transaction I would make, it isn't an unreasonable value.
It absolutely is unreasonable value--it is a shocking reduction in the value of the hotel portion of the package.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
It absolutely is unreasonable value--it is a shocking reduction in the value of the hotel portion of the package.
I was only referring to a standalone transaction in which someone might willingly exchange 225K MR points for 120K airline miles. I completely agree that a forced conversion of the hotel potion of a travel package to 45K in MR points would be an enormous devaluation. I edited my earlier post because of your feedback.

Last edited by rny321; Jul 30, 2018 at 9:59 am
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by richh1833
I have a question since I'm currently waiting for my points to transferred to my SPG account. When is the last day to phone up Marriott to actually order one of these packages? Is it the 17th August? I understand that the last day to redeem your certificate is the 17th but when is the last day to order the package?
No one knows for certain, buy my friend at Marriott told me 8/3 to be safe. An email will be going out I'm also told on 8/2 informing people of an IT blackout from 8/4-8/18 to fully integrate the two programs and that the TPs won't be bookable at that time. You could maybe go until 8/4 but that seems risky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.