FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:28 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sinfonia
Ack! I just called to purchase the cat 6 travel package and wimped out.

The friendly and helpful fellow at the elite line (picked up right away, by the way) suggested I purchase a cat 1-5 certificate when I told him that I was wanting to use it at a property that is currently 6 but will be 4. He advised I purchase 1-5 now and then wait to attach it after the category change. I told him that I was concerned about an unattached certificate being canceled and he thought it preposterous that such a thing would occur. After he reminded me that any changes after August would then be assessed with the new price structure, I asked if attaching the certificate post-August would be considered changing the reservation and therefore defaulting to the new price structure. He did not know but seemed to think that it was against Marriott's ethics to do such a thing.

In any case, he seemed rather confident that I could purchase a 1-5 now and then attach it once the categories change.

Has anyone else been told this by Marriott associates?
Seems like good advice: book the Cat 5 certificate now, at today's rates. Then attach it to your reservation after the merger.

That's essentially a bet that today's Cat 5 will convert to tomorrow's Cat 4, which I believe is the one very easy decision for Marriott to make. It's some of the higher-category certs that get thorny.