FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:40 am
sinfonia

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by estnet
I'm not so sure, a hotel I'm looking at that will be cat 5 after the merger is cat 8 now - I'd love to get a cat 6 now and be able to use it after the merger (for a cat 5) but I'd be surprised if this works out - I realize this isn't what you were saying - just pointing out how hard it is to guess what they're going to do! You're also assuming they won't force redeem the unattached cert.
Yes, what makes me hesitant to do this is if they cancel my certificate because it is unattached.

I am also considering getting a second TP for a property that is currently 8 and will be 5, so I would also need to leave that unattached.

It seems it would be unfair of Marriott to cancel my unattached certificate if the Marriott agent is specifically telling me to purchase it and attach it after August. At the same time, it also seems as if I am taking advantage of Marriott by wanting the benefits of the new program (e.g. cat 8 hotel will now be a 5 so I only need a cat 5 TP) but still wanting to pay the price structure of the old program.