Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by controller1
On a Travel Package, only the points allocated to the airline miles immediately relieve Marriott of any balance sheet liability. That's because that part of the transaction is final. The points allocated to the hotel stay do not relieve Marriott of any liability until the reservation is used.
Originally Posted by controller1
I'm going to doubt that. Marriott would have a significant amount of history to indicate what percentage of their liability will be used for the purchase of airline miles versus the amount that will be used to secure hotel award reservations. It will be this blended cost per point that will be used for the valuation of the liability. With the amount of history Marriott will have, over a year there are probably only relatively small fluctuations requiring a revaluation of the liability.
I'm sure they have plenty of history however you broke down the transaction into separate parts; airline points and subsequently the award liability, stating the miles immediately relieved Marriott of that liability. I merely stated that liability is mitigated by the costs associated with purchasing those airline miles so the write down could be minimal or non-existent. Marriott has the data, we don't.

They very well may blend the liability in toto however that's not what you stated in your first post on the matter.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist;Bonvoy Lifetime Titan ; Hilton DIA (amex); AA Plat
Originally Posted by jiteshjerome
Apparently this is only for upgrading an existing package. It might get resolved within 48 hours. I was holding a CAT 6 and was thinking about a CAT 8. However, not too sure - they might mess this up in the last few minutes.
Called twice to upgrade 1-5 to Tier 4 Ritz. first took 30+ to tell me not allowed.

HUCA, she said after 30 that the system is down and can't make it happen.

I check in today at Ritz, hoping I can do this after the fact...
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by pilgrim
Some have received the five-night package who weren't MVC members and had it cancelled when audited.
I just succeeded in sneaking one (5-night TP) from an unsuspecting agent
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I'm sure they have plenty of history however you broke down the transaction into separate parts; airline points and subsequently the award liability, stating the miles immediately relieved Marriott of that liability. I merely stated that liability is mitigated by the costs associated with purchasing those airline miles so the write down could be minimal or non-existent. Marriott has the data, we don't.

They very well may blend the liability in toto however that's not what you stated in your first post on the matter.
Originally Posted by dsquared37
But concurrently Marriott is purchasing airline miles, which are likely more expensive than their internal value of points, so Marriott could be taking a financial hit on the miles portion which is subsequently negated (and then some) on the hotel cert.
I'll try one more accounting explanation and then leave it. You are mixing apples and oranges or balance sheets and income statements. The reduction in the liability occurs on the balance sheet while the cost to purchase the miles occurs on the income statement. When the purchase of miles is completed the balance sheet liability is reduced. There is no subsequent negation since the rest of the transaction occurs on the income statement. You were the one that combined the transaction into both the balance sheet and income statement. I, as I previously stated, simply was responding to the OP who theorized the purchase of Travel Packages were reducing the liability on Marriott's balance sheet. And they are!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:40 pm

I have one Cat 7 certificate. The hotel I am planing to stay is currently Cat 7 but will be Cat 5 later this August. Should I downgrade to get some points back before attaching it to the reservation?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by jrey
I have one Cat 7 certificate. The hotel I am planing to stay is currently Cat 7 but will be Cat 5 later this August. Should I downgrade to get some points back before attaching it to the reservation?
You're using category numbers on the certificates as though they had some permanent meaning. They don't (unless a certificate is attached to a reservation). A room at today's Cat 7 requires 35,000 points per night. On 18 August, a Category 5 room will require 35,000 points per night.

Buying a cat 5 certificate today (25,000 points per night) will not attach to a cat 7 reservation today, so you couldn't reserve that room today with a cat 5 certificate, and the old cat 5 certificate will not redeem a room at a (new) cat 5 on 18 August.

Here is the new chart, which takes effect on August 18th: https://members.marriott.com/redeem/...&lk=1000280106

And here you can enter the hotel and find out the change (if any) in the number of points required for a night's room reservation on 18 August and after: https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change
jeepie likes this.

Last edited by Counsellor; Aug 3, 2018 at 4:59 am Reason: Add links
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Does anyone know if I use the book now pay later option for points booking does that guarantee me the lower number of points?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Has anyone tried to extend a package for an additional year lately? Have a package expiring in November and would be interested in getting the additional year and attaching cert for a trip next August.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Does anyone know if I use the book now pay later option for points booking does that guarantee me the lower number of points?
Yes. I booked Marriott Emerald Bay when it was a cat 5. It became cat 6 in March. I just redeemed a cat 5 cert a couple of days ago.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by DCLobo
Has anyone tried to extend a package for an additional year lately? Have a package expiring in November and would be interested in getting the additional year and attaching cert for a trip next August.
Yes. Did that a couple of days ago.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:18 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

If I get Cat-9 package, will it become the new Cat-7? Then I can book the new Cat-8 stay? This would be the highest MR category.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RedSun
If I get Cat-9 package, will it become the new Cat-7? Then I can book the new Cat-8 stay? This would be the highest MR category.
Nobody. Knows.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by DCLobo
I too have a certificate expiring in November that I'd like to extend. I've called five times and each time after waiting on hold and then the agent placing me on hold a while they've come back and said that it's too far from the expiration date now to extend it and to come back and try closer to expiration. I think for the next call I'll just upgrade the certificate to extend it automatically because this is getting annoying.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Willbur
I too have a certificate expiring in November that I'd like to extend. I've called five times and each time after waiting on hold and then the agent placing me on hold a while they've come back and said that it's too far from the expiration date now to extend it and to come back and try closer to expiration. I think for the next call I'll just upgrade the certificate to extend it automatically because this is getting annoying.
I don't know why they *can't* extend it for you now, but you really should wait until November to extend it. They extend it by 1 year from the date of your extension phone call, not from the original date of the certificate.

When I think I'm going to extend one, I just set an alarm in my phone for the week prior to the expiration. You can easily do the upgrade in that same phone call (obviously November would be at *new* upgrade rates).
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: Marriott LTPP
I have usually extended my TP's one day before they will expire. That being said, I did extend two of my TP's at the end of July. I had no problem doing this. I wanted to attach one to a hotel in Nov. and in order to do so, they had to extend it anyway. It was not a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.