Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by azepine00
why? there was cat 5 and there will be cat 5.. there was 8 and there will be 8... anything 8 and above will be valid at any hotel.. clean and simple no refunds remapping rebates and logistical and legal headaches.. your cert is valid for category as stated on the cert...
That's not how the categories work though. Think of the opposite:

If they suddenly introduced 8 new categories, making them go from 1-15. Surely you wouldn't say that "today's category 8 will be valid for future category 8, i don't see what the problem is. Clean and simple, no remapping" if all hotels move up categories to adjust for the new structure. People would be VERY unhappy about that.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:58 pm

why? there was cat 5 and there will be cat 5.. there was 8 and there will be 8... anything 8 and above will be valid at any hotel.. clean and simple no refunds remapping rebates and logistical and legal headaches.. your cert is valid for category as stated on the cert...
A current Cat 8 is part of a package that costs 390K points. A Tier 4-5 costs 540K points. So right off the bat either everyone above 8 is getting screwed or they're getting a ridiculous payment of returned points.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:15 pm

Anyone else get one today?!
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
If I'm transferring to VS, how long do I need to wait after creating an account (thought I had one but apparently never created one)?
Upthread it said 24 hours. i.e. problem to be able to transfer but no more problem after 24 hours have passed.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zozeppelin
Agree on all fronts. At minimum, in lieu of giving us points back directly, I think they'd like to stick us with a restricted points equivalent cert (total or nightly), but even that would be a pain to do (they'll have single night points certs and multi night cat certs, but not multi night points certs) and cause consternation if you get stuck with a dead cat (6, 8, 9). But not enough return and time to justify the CS and IT work in the midst of the merger.

What about TPs detached after Aug18? I assume that can not be points refund, otherwise I think a lot of people would drop their reservations and book less nights at the same property, probably 5, and save the remainder for later. Happy to be wrong there.
I already have 2 Cat 5 floating.

The difference is 30K, not enough for us to gamble should the floater certs not be able to book the Cat 4. We need that 7 nights AND probably another 7 nights as we would be in the city for 2 weeks based on current tickets In any case the first 7 days are not going to change with the second 7 days may see some changes, depending on what I will see before Aug 24 - the last day to exercise the one shot free change of the tickets.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
A current Cat 8 is part of a package that costs 390K points. A Tier 4-5 costs 540K points. So right off the bat either everyone above 8 is getting screwed or they're getting a ridiculous payment of returned points.
no - they are not getting screwed - they would be getting hotel stay at any property in the system - exactly what they redeemed for (or better of they redeem for cat8-t3)...
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90
That's not how the categories work though. Think of the opposite:

If they suddenly introduced 8 new categories, making them go from 1-15. Surely you wouldn't say that "today's category 8 will be valid for future category 8, i don't see what the problem is. Clean and simple, no remapping" if all hotels move up categories to adjust for the new structure. People would be VERY unhappy about that.
yet and that's devaluation and everyone would be rightfully upset.
keeping cats as stated on certs otoh would cost mr very little - minor difference in payout to properties - a minuscule cost on the scale of integration that prevents a massive customer service mess
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:11 pm

no - they are not getting screwed - they would be getting hotel stay at any property in the system - exactly what they redeemed for (or better of they redeem for cat8-t3)...
RC New York, for example, is 70K a night. How can you possibly argue that a cert currently worth 40K a night should be redeemed for that?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:27 am

Correct. Marriott "owes" you a redemption at a hotel at a certain category (or lower). It has never made any representations as to which hotel will be in which category once you will redeem your certificate. So if MR will (and I think it is likely the will do this) is that certificates will retain their respective category, e.g. a Cat 1-5 cert will be good for Cat 1-5 (new). This makes Cat. 8 certificates the sweet spot. If you buy RC Tier certs you will lose value in the new program (compared to a Cat. 8 cert) but you still have some days to redeem at the current RC tier levels.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:13 am

This is certainly possible, but then why all the secrecy around it?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by funkbandit
Correct. Marriott "owes" you a redemption at a hotel at a certain category (or lower). It has never made any representations as to which hotel will be in which category once you will redeem your certificate. So if MR will (and I think it is likely the will do this) is that certificates will retain their respective category, e.g. a Cat 1-5 cert will be good for Cat 1-5 (new). This makes Cat. 8 certificates the sweet spot. If you buy RC Tier certs you will lose value in the new program (compared to a Cat. 8 cert) but you still have some days to redeem at the current RC tier levels.
This would be one of the two simplest solutions (the other being refunding full 6N worth of points) and we can all hope (or pray?) this would be the case. However, its probability is nearly zero because:

1) Head of Marriott's loyalty team has said Marriott is still working on its IT system to solve this issue. If a current certificate can be used as is, it won't require an IT solution.

2) Starwood Lurker has stated, with approval from the new loyalty team, that certificate holders should attach their certificates to maximize their "usage". If a current certificate can be used as is, there won't be a need for that.

3) This would be much more costly solution than the other simple solution of refunding full 6N worth of points. If Marriott only had these two choices, it would choose the latter. If it had chosen the former, it would have to refund the points-differential (which could be as high as 210K points) to the current cat 8/cat 9/tier 1-3/tier 4-5 certificate holders, and pay much higher reimbursement rates to the very top tier hotels, which could cost up to 100K/night in points in peak season next year (or up to 600K points in total). The choice should be obvious to Marriott.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by tth6133
1) Head of Marriott's loyalty team has said Marriott is still working on its IT system to solve this issue. If a current certificate can be used as is, it won't require an IT solution.
Yes and No - A certificate for a category 1-8 wouldn't require an IT solution but a certificate for a category 9 and any Tier certificate would definitely require an IT solution since those "categories" will no longer exist after Aug. 18 hence those certificate codes used to apply against a reservation would be invalid.

2) Starwood Lurker has stated, with approval from the new loyalty team, that certificate holders should attach their certificates to maximize their "usage". If a current certificate can be used as is, there won't be a need for that.
Starwood Lurker has always advised members before any category change to make a reservation PRIOR to the change to ensure you lock in the lower redemption rate AKA "maximize points usage". Let me break it down this way... if you hold a category 5 certificate and the property is moving up a category you should attach your certificate to maximize its value.

3) This would be much more costly solution than the other simple solution of refunding full 6N worth of points. If Marriott only had these two choices, it would choose the latter. If it had chosen the former, it would have to refund the points-differential (which could be as high as 210K points) to the current cat 8/cat 9/tier 1-3/tier 4-5 certificate holders, and pay much higher reimbursement rates to the very top tier hotels, which could cost up to 100K/night in points in peak season next year (or up to 600K points in total). The choice should be obvious to Marriott.
The least expensive solution is to allow the certificates to be used as is because I believe Marriott will only allow certificates to only be used for standard redemption meaning you'll have to pay the points difference during peak season. I also believe Marriott will not extend the expiry dates of the legacy certificates nor will they allow upgrades/downgrades or refund of points. It will be: use it or lose it.

Also keep in mind the rate Marriott pays each property for a free night is cheaper than refunding the points which can be used to buy another travel package with airline miles
Plus, some members won't stay the full 7 nights which again reduces redemption costs - heck I'm sure Marriott is hoping people don't use them at all like people who buy gift cards and never use them.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:50 am

Not sure how a conversion of cat types does not require an IT solution. At the very least Marriott would have to have completely separate categories, terms, and conditions for the legacy ones until they processed out of the system.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by imverge
Yes and No - A certificate for a category 1-8 wouldn't require an IT solution but a certificate for a category 9 and any Tier certificate would definitely require an IT solution since those "categories" will no longer exist after Aug. 18 hence those certificate codes used to apply against a reservation would be invalid.

Starwood Lurker has always advised members before any category change to make a reservation PRIOR to the change to ensure you lock in the lower redemption rate AKA "maximize points usage". Let me break it down this way... if you hold a category 5 certificate and the property is moving up a category you should attach your certificate to maximize its value.

The least expensive solution is to allow the certificates to be used as is because I believe Marriott will only allow certificates to only be used for standard redemption meaning you'll have to pay the points difference during peak season. I also believe Marriott will not extend the expiry dates of the legacy certificates nor will they allow upgrades/downgrades or refund of points. It will be: use it or lose it.

Also keep in mind the rate Marriott pays each property for a free night is cheaper than refunding the points which can be used to buy another travel package with airline miles
Plus, some members won't stay the full 7 nights which again reduces redemption costs - heck I'm sure Marriott is hoping people don't use them at all like people who buy gift cards and never use them.
Certainly hope they don't remove the ability to upgrade the category on points! That would be bad.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:19 am

If Marriott refunds the difference between the current cat-7 certificate and the higher-category certificates, all current cat-7 or higher certificates would be turned into the new cat-7 certificates, there wouldn't be a need for an IT solution.

If the current cat-5 is turned into a new cat-5 certificate (and similarly for other higher category certificates), there wouldn't be a need to book now to maximize usage. Very few, if any, hotels jumps from current cat 5 (25K/night) to new category 6 (50K/night in regular season) or above.

No, that's false. The reimbursement rates depend on occupancy. At the very top hotels, the occupancy levels are likely to be very high for this year and next because of new redemption structure for this year. BTW, the new TP certificates can be used for any season, including the peak seasons, so it's highly unlikely the current floater certificates, if they survive 8/18, would have seasonal restrictions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.