Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by crimsona
If I've followed you correctly, you received 135k points, but managed to talk directly to a supervisor to issue you a partial package under the new chart? (minus the 30K incremental which is the premium based on the old chart). Did you ask to speak to one directly, or was there a regular agent as an intermediary?

Might be hope for me yet trying to get a straight Old 5 to new 4
I believe that is what happened. I had to go through a regular agent first and when she told me that was just the way it was and because of the way the system worked there was nothing that she could do to fix the problem. At that point I asked to speak to a supervisor and she was happy to send me off to the queue to wait a longish time on hold to speak to one. Once I did get to the supervisor he quickly understood the problem and thought he was able to fix it and he would have succeeded if he had picked the right new package to put me in but perhaps he was not that familiar with the category mappings and gave me the NC6 instead of the NC5. Unfortunately my cell picked that time to disconnect just as I was trying to confirm he got the correct package - that's the way my luck has been.

Here is the information on my new cat 6 partial package. Hopefully this helps someone.

Reward Details

Description:Total points redeemed:PARTIAL PACKAGE - 7 NIGHTS CATEGORY 6
Reward certificate number: XXXXnnnn
Total points redeemed:165,000
tonywush and rny321 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I just want to make sure I have this correct. You believe your Old Cat 5 certificate should eligible for a New Category 5? Yes?

If an old Category 8 @ 40K per night is now a new Category 5 @ 35K per night how do you account for your Old Cat 1-5 with value of 150K @ 25K per night being sufficient for that redemption?

An unattached certificate was a gamble. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Luckily everyone got more value than a cancelled certificate for points. You got your Cake, but now want to eat it too.

Would you be happy if everything mapped to a New Cat 7 and then when all the available rooms were booked you had a certificate that could not be used?

James
You would be wrong. Please read before typing out essays

The very message you quoted from me explicitly mentioned partial category 4, which is worth 25k standard.

Also, had you actually read this thread, the only reason why I'm asking is because I had cancelled an attached old 5 certificate and was given 45k points, instead of a new cat 4. My travel pack had been attached since June, so spare me your indignation

​​​​​​Since multiple agents and supervisors were unable to help, I wanted to know if there was a pattern to the new partial certs coding. Given what we see now, there might not be, since a partial new 4 is QP80 and a partial new 6 is QP99

Please come back when you have something of value to add
Happy and tonywush like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
All of this confusion coupled by no official communication from Marriott means that we should be guaranteed extensions on the cert expiration date. If Marriott had expected to change this policy, they had many chances to convey this info to bloggers over the past couple days.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: Marriott
I just want to make sure I have this correct. You believe your Old Cat 5 certificate should eligible for a New Category 5? Yes?

If an old Category 8 @ 40K per night is now a new Category 5 @ 35K per night how do you account for your Old Cat 1-5 with value of 150K @ 25K per night being sufficient for that redemption?

An unattached certificate was a gamble. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Luckily everyone got more value than a cancelled certificate for points. You got your Cake, but now want to eat it too.

Would you be happy if everything mapped to a New Cat 7 and then when all the available rooms were booked you had a certificate that could not be used?

James
James clearly has some desperate need to put in the last word.

Go on, James. Prove me wrong.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:34 pm

I totally agree on the boondoggle. Marriott should have just cancelled all the unttached certificates and converted them to points. Then they could book whatever they wanted with their 45K + 30K per category upgrade and everyone would be whole. I don't see giving you back exactly what you had in worth, is fleecing anyone.
Will you please stop pushing this nonsense. I assure you that my week stay at the HK Courtyard is worth a heck of a lot more to me than 45K points.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Will you please stop pushing this nonsense. I assure you that my week stay at the HK Courtyard is worth a heck of a lot more to me than 45K points.
Technically you'd be right, because it's worth 45k MR and 132k UA miles!
invalyd likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

I totally agree on the boondoggle. Marriott should have just cancelled all the unttached certificates and converted them to points. Then they could book whatever they wanted with their 45K + 30K per category upgrade and everyone would be whole. I don't see giving you back exactly what you had in worth, is fleecing anyone.

Perhaps this is what Marriott should do if it starts and ends with Marriott! No? Be careful what you ask for.

45K + 30K per category upgrade is all that your old package is worth in points if you didn't utilize it's value in the old program. Anything more is a bonus.

I will just add that I have lost a lot of sleep over this boondoggle! It all has been so incredibly entertaining that I just can't put it down.

James
Your suggestion in the initial paragraph above would open the floodgates for Marriott to have more potential liability for legal and regulatory violations. Sounds more like a suggestion to fuel further entertainment for yourself rather than any kind of well-deliberated approach to address this situation in any sort of customer-friendly way for those hit by this Marriott-caused mess.
Happy, rny321 and nexusCFX like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:50 am

Given how they released no information apart from "lock in your TP's now to avoid something we're not willing to tell you but have already decided" coupled with the introduction of peak/off peak redemptions next year and the removal of the ability to upgrade packages (many people surely had 1-5's pending upgrading once they had the points) then I think the fairest thing marriott could do is to offer people who held TP's prior to the 18th the ability to pay a premium in points at redemption time should they wish to use the package on a higher category based on the points delta between what they value the package at and what their redeeming at.

IE Hold a cat 1-4 valued at 30k points per night, want to book a cat 6 peak (60k points per night) -> redeem TP and 210k points.

I think the mapping was fair, I think the removal of the flexibility certainly was not fair particularly as there was no official announcement (and AFAIK still isnt)
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by wonderman
Given how they released no information apart from "lock in your TP's now to avoid something we're not willing to tell you but have already decided" coupled with the introduction of peak/off peak redemptions next year and the removal of the ability to upgrade packages (many people surely had 1-5's pending upgrading once they had the points) then I think the fairest thing marriott could do is to offer people who held TP's prior to the 18th the ability to pay a premium in points at redemption time should they wish to use the package on a higher category based on the points delta between what they value the package at and what their redeeming at.

IE Hold a cat 1-4 valued at 30k points per night, want to book a cat 6 peak (60k points per night) -> redeem TP and 210k points.

I think the mapping was fair, I think the removal of the flexibility certainly was not fair particularly as there was no official announcement (and AFAIK still isnt)
And locking in TPs a) didn't avoid anything, b) was irrational for properties declining in price on 8/18, and c) given the uncertainty in the transition and prior history and CSR information the SAFE bet was just to get an old 1-5 and upgrade once everything got sorted out.
rny321 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

I think the mapping was also unfair because Marriott decided to withhold such mapping information before August 18th and because the mapping was done to reduce the value of the certificates (in line with Marriott’s greediness to fleece customers a certain amount) despite Marriott claiming otherwise.
Happy and NJKen like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by skimthetrees

Here is the information on my new cat 6 partial package. Hopefully this helps someone.Reward DetailsDescription:Total points redeemed:PARTIAL PACKAGE - 7 NIGHTS CATEGORY 6
Reward certificate number: XXXXnnnn
Total points redeemed:165,000
Prior to 8/18, I believe providing the code for the hotel package to the CSR made it less likely that things would get messed up. I appreciate that you and Happy have added the codes at least a couple of them. From Happy, NC 1-4 is QP80. From skimthetrees, NC 6 is QP99.

Last edited by rny321; Aug 22, 2018 at 7:13 am
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Technically you'd be right, because it's worth 45k MR and 132k UA miles!
I believe OssianBlue meant 45K pts could not redeem for a full week at HKG CY (not even at the cheapest one at Sha Tin as that is at 12.5K/night and the one in HKG is 25K/night.)

Therefore, technically you conveniently omit the FACT that for the 45K if being refunded, would not cover even 50% of the same stay by the 7 nights cert.

May be you redeemed your package just for the miles. Many do. Nothing wrong with that. But there are also many of us who redeemed the packages also for the actual hotel stay need.

That is what the OssianBlue's point counters Jame's nonsense on members would be made whole if the 45K pts being returned when members tried to change hotel like crimsona who has a need to do so, and the system made him losing his existing cert and seemingly nobody at Marriott he got on the phone calls, would try to help.

So pray you would not need to change dates or change hotels on your attached certs if you have any such booking(s), else you would be suffering the same mess as crimsona currently suffers, that is why crimsona tries to get real help from our collective wisdom on this thread in the attempt to figure out how to Protect Ourselves from Marriott's Shenanigans.

This, should provide a lesson or 2, especially with the further evidence that is revealed from this post 6020 that I feel everyone should read - it is very chilling.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30108459-post6020.html

I would like to remind people, Had It Not for Many of Us Raised Our Voice, Marriott would double down to rub salt to the injury to those who suffer this Shenanigans.

@crimsona, the conversion can be done as it has been done on Sunday by different supervisors located in different call centers, and yesterday by the supervisor skimtherees got (despite the mistake the supervisor made on the wrong category chosen).

The SAD thing is, because Marriott has chosen, again, to keep its employees totally in the dark without communicating what the latest company lines to the people who are actually doing the job you would need to play supervisor roulette, much like redeeming airline award seats, to find a sympathetic supervisor who is willing to try. My supervisor on Sunday told me she would try to see if the system allowed it. She took some time to study the NC table before she went in to do the cancellation of old Partial Cat 6 and reordering of the new Partial 1-4. I received a pair of emails of her actions almost immediately. New Partial 1-4 showed up in account a few hours later, though it does not say the point value but the confirmation email has the information.

And that was on Sunday, when Marriott was still holding the Hard Line to stiff the Cat 6, 8 and Tier 1-3 holders, as evidenced by Post 6020 - that should serve as a Reminder - what the real intention Marriott has been having all along.

Finally try to use a speaker phone, so you can be multi-tasking while being put on long long hold. Always ask to speak to a supervisor once the phone is pick up - just briefly said something like my situation is a bit complicated and would require supervisor authority to resolve it. No reason to waste time with front line rep who would need to get supervisor anyway.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 22, 2018 at 8:31 am
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:32 am

For the Airline portion, I transferred to AA on Aug 11, up to now it is not on my account. If you guys have some data points i would appreciate it.
thank you!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mapping is NOT fair. Marriott is trying to take as many points from the customers WITHOUT returning the corresponding value.
The Cat 6 holders paid 30K extra point but get back the SAME new cert 1-4 as those Cat 5 owners. Ditto for the Cat 8 owners.
How can anyone say this is a fair mapping?

Here is a case that good faith from customers have been mad by the very bad case of corporate greed.

In case you have missed it, Please read Post 6020 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30108459-post6020.html

It reveals Marriott has NO INTENTION to give refund on the 30K extra pts taken from Cat 6, 8 and Tier 1-3 owners.

It only changed course towards end of the day probably after seeing social media reactions and receiving some bloggers calls to their contacts, then it did an Ad Hoc announcement while not even communicating to their own employees given the responses people received both via the link to submit refund requests or over the phone by reps / supervisors even on the Plat elite line, and the system is DEFINITELY NOT Capable to handle the legacy certs booking, whatever said in the PR Spin notwithstanding.
Nobody has succeeded booking a stay with the unattached legacy cert as recent as late last night based on the feedback on various sites. I monitor this because I have a stay I need to use the cert.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum; Marriott Titanium Elite; Hertz President's Circle
One thing that has me raising my eyebrows a bit is how all of the sudden since the supposed "announcement" a couple of days ago to allows downgrades/refunds for 6, 8 and 1-3 TP holders as well as the elimination of the blackout window we have had radio silence from all of the bloggers. It is ironic since in the days, weeks and months leading up to the 8/18, we had almost daily blog updates with new theories and strategies to maximize value. On the one hand, I can appreciate that they do not want to burn any bridges with their contacts at Marriott - but on the other hand what they have been putting out in recent days is at best a premature half truth and at worst completely false. For better or for worse people are following the advice step by step only to be stonewalled by CSRs.

I am not sure what to believe anymore other than believing that Marriott has been intentionally taking the least customer friendly approach throughout this whole process. Even incompetence does not look this messy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.