Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: Marriott
Originally Posted by Happy
100% agree. Without the information on how the existing certs would be converted, Members have no option but to guess. Personally I feel this no upgrade / downgrade treatment is the most unfair handling from Marriott.

Ditto.
I agree. It seems monumentally unfair that they aren't releasing the category mapping until after the merge, but they are not allowing us to downgrade or upgrade certificates after the merge--especially since we have always been able to do so (and were able to when most of us purchased those certs). If they gave us the information in advance, at least we would decide accordingly.

I think a LOT of people with TPs are going to be furious when they find out they cannot upgrade or downgrade their certificates.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: Marriott
Originally Posted by FTcritter
Amazingly I just called the normal Travel Package number (3:45 EST) and was able to order 132K United and Cat 1-5 in less than 9 minutes from dial to hangup !
BEFORE the CSR answered, asked for MR# , my zip code, last 4 numbers on CC ; which I haven't had to do before.
The CSR also said without prompting that the category could be changed...... Not what Lurker has advised today.... so CSR have not been advised yet
I messaged SPG and Marriott through Facebook, and Marriott never responded. SPG however almost immediately confirmed what Lurker said--that certs cannot be upgraded or downgraded after 8/18. When I pressed further and asked how we are supposed to know what category to upgrade to BEFORE 8/18, if they are not releasing the category mapping until after 8/18...and pointed out how unfair it is to their most loyal customers, the response was, "we are seeking clarification on your questions and will get back to you when we get an answer. We appreciate your patience."

This whole TP debacle has been very frustrating.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:35 pm

I'm hoping at the very least they'll allow a one-time category change. I mean, you've had CSRs telling people that the Marriott category number of the package will be the category number of the new package!
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Since MPG caved after pressure from SPG members hoping to become LTPP, it may help if concerned individuals make their objections to the proposed no change policy known. If some of you haven't done so already, it can't hurt to add your responses to the Lurker's update on the Starwood side of FT.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: United 1P
Will do. Thanks!
rny321 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:55 pm

I just called to upgrade my category 7 travel package to category 8, it took about 10-15 minutes total. Praying it'll be converted to the new category 6.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
This is only true for marriott properties. Those hoping to book SPG properties with TP likely won't be as lucky with the one month freeze. Unless you have loads of SPG points to lock in a rate and hope it drops (which if you did you'll probably assessing whether to get a few more TPs with versus holding award space)

Originally Posted by entrada
You can make an award reservation at the new rates as of August 18. And then call and attach the travel certificate to the reservation after Sept. 18. Marriott does not deduct the points for a reward reservation until you ask them to. So the one month period should have no impact on access to award inventory for travel packages.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by FrustratedinCA
I messaged SPG and Marriott through Facebook, and Marriott never responded. SPG however almost immediately confirmed what Lurker said--that certs cannot be upgraded or downgraded after 8/18. When I pressed further and asked how we are supposed to know what category to upgrade to BEFORE 8/18, if they are not releasing the category mapping until after 8/18...and pointed out how unfair it is to their most loyal customers, the response was, "we are seeking clarification on your questions and will get back to you when we get an answer. We appreciate your patience."

This whole TP debacle has been very frustrating.
Ditto! I don't know what category the certs will map to. I want to use the certs for an SPG property. There is going to be a one month blackout period from 8/18-9/18. COME ON MARRIOTT!
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ahbitheman
This is only true for marriott properties. Those hoping to book SPG properties with TP likely won't be as lucky with the one month freeze. Unless you have loads of SPG points to lock in a rate and hope it drops (which if you did you'll probably assessing whether to get a few more TPs with versus holding award space)

If the launch of the combined program on August 18 also means a combined reservation website, and if this is built on the Marriott platform, then point reservations for SPG legacy hotels are likely to work the same way as for Rewards legacy hotels.

Originally Posted by emofeng
Ditto! I don't know what category the certs will map to. I want to use the certs for an SPG property. There is going to be a one month blackout period from 8/18-9/18. COME ON MARRIOTT!
I would think that Marriott will publish on or soon after August 18 how the e-certificates from travel packages will convert, even if we can't attach them until September 18.

Maybe I'm just too optimistic.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
To give one more example of the misinformation CSRs have fed to customers: was told today that if I wanted to book a (new) Cat 6 hotel with my (old) Cat 8 certificate, I can downgrade it to Cat 6 and get the difference in points.

Obviously, it’s very incorrect but just goes to show what a mess Marriott has on their hands with CSRs making things up due to lack of information.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Horace
If the launch of the combined program on August 18 also means a combined reservation website, and if this is built on the Marriott platform, then point reservations for SPG legacy hotels are likely to work the same way as for Rewards legacy hotels.

I would think that Marriott will publish on or soon after August 18 how the e-certificates from travel packages will convert, even if we can't attach them until September 18.

Maybe I'm just too optimistic.
Leaked T&Cs of the new program indicated Starwood hotels couldn’t be reserved without having points. Of course, it’s possible those weren’t true final rules but I wouldn’t count on being able to reserve Starwood properties without having full points.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by ahbitheman

I think the problem for those people will be more so trying to find 7 consecutive days to use a TP at high-end SPGs. People are going to grab single days whenever they can, similar to IHG Thalasso Bora Bora which has become a Powerball lotto.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
Not all properties going up in category are blocked. I booked Grovesnor House, London which is moving from an old Cat 9 to a new Cat 7. Could also have booked any of the London properties that were going up in category except Grand Residence. It and all other vacation club properties appear to be blacked out for redemptions.
Vacation Club properties are almost never available for redemption, so this lack of availability likely has nothing to do with the program changes.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
I'm only relaying what the lurker wrote here. I agree that things would be a lot simpler if they did allow us to upgrade legacy certificates, given that we won't know which category we'll need until after the deadline to redeem.
Starwood Lurkers have been very upfront. From the beginning they had advised attaching a certificate to a hotel before August 18 for maximum value. People didn’t want to follow that advise (of course if the dates are not open yet, if you want a former SPG property etc would be exceptions) and even though they know the hotel/dates they are not attaching. Agree, its been a mess but I think Starwood Lurkers have been great, given the circumstances.

In any event some TP holders will be upset, some will not.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Redeemed for 2 Travel Packages: 1 from my account and 1 from the wife's. I still have tons of points left but unlikely that we will be taking that much vacation in the next 12 months.
1. Cat 1-5 with 120K AA miles requested on 8/13. No miles posted as of 8/15 and cert left unattached.
2. Cat 9 with 132K UA miles requested on 8/14 (yesterday). Miles have posted as of today evening so ~24 hours. Attached the Cat 9 cert to a London hotel going up to 60K per night. Not sure if I'll make the trip but its been on the cards and didn't want to let this pass by.

I am considering attaching the Cat 1-5 cert to a speculative reservation on a hotel going up in points just in case Marriott gets generous and upgrades the cert to the higher value. Any thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.