Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 11:34 am

What's the easiest way to book a travel package? I called 1-800-321-7396, which is the number listed on the Marriott website travel packages page:
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

The first associate I talked to had me choose the hotel and dates, and then told me the only package available was the United one. I want to get Alaska miles. I told her I wanted package 1. She said there were no other packages and there was no choice of airline miles. I HUCA and the second associate put me on hold for a long time because she didn't know who to talk to to book these. She finally came back and said I had to go to the website for Vacations by Marriott. When I told her the webpage for the travel packages said to call this number, she put me on hold again, and then came back and said to go to Vacations by Marriott.
Old May 26, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HanBkk
What's the easiest way to book a travel package? I called 1-800-321-7396, which is the number listed on the Marriott website travel packages page:
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

The first associate I talked to had me choose the hotel and dates, and then told me the only package available was the United one. I want to get Alaska miles. I told her I wanted package 1. She said there were no other packages and there was no choice of airline miles. I HUCA and the second associate put me on hold for a long time because she didn't know who to talk to to book these. She finally came back and said I had to go to the website for Vacations by Marriott. When I told her the webpage for the travel packages said to call this number, she put me on hold again, and then came back and said to go to Vacations by Marriott.
This is the number to call. It is unfortunate and very sad that you have had an untrained rep - seems the norm since the final merger is announced. Both reps are wrong. You can only HUCA or insist to get a supervisor. Call on the Weekdays during the middle of the day when there are hopefully still some knowledgeable reps around.

No, you dont need a hotel and date to redeem the package. Yes you can transfer to AS. It is in the Package 1. Tell the rep to read their own website.

There is no other number that can help you get to the previous well-trained reps. We are seeing a total melt down of Marriott Customer Service right now.
Old May 26, 2018, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Happy
This is the number to call. It is unfortunate and very sad that you have had an untrained rep - seems the norm since the final merger is announced. Both reps are wrong. You can only HUCA or insist to get a supervisor. Call on the Weekdays during the middle of the day when there are hopefully still some knowledgeable reps around.

No, you dont need a hotel and date to redeem the package. Yes you can transfer to AS. It is in the Package 1. Tell the rep to read their own website.

There is no other number that can help you get to the previous well-trained reps. We are seeing a total melt down of Marriott Customer Service right now.
I can confirm this nightmare experience.
Old May 26, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I can confirm this nightmare experience.
Here is what I fear - Marriott will get rid of the Travel Package redemption, hence it does not plan to train the newly hired reps on how to do the redemption under the current program.

I also dont understand WHY there are so many untrained reps handling customer calls these days? It is not like they have increased the call center staff based on the horrendous long wait. Where are the existing reps who know how to do stuff?
Old May 26, 2018, 1:42 pm

Here is what I fear - Marriott will get rid of the Travel Package redemption, hence it does not plan to train the newly hired reps on how to do the redemption under the current program.

I also dont understand WHY there are so many untrained reps handling customer calls these days? It is not like they have increased the call center staff based on the horrendous long wait. Where are the existing reps who know how to do stuff?
I've been wondering the same thing. I can’t seem to get any of the seasoned reps on the phone who know how to speak and treat their valued customers. It was always one of the things I admired about Marriott Rewards reps. I always thought they were the best in the business. They had that can do attitude. If they didn’t know they would get someone to help. Their main objective was to make their guests happy.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:29 pm

I am on the phone right now with the Vacations by Marriott rep who was able to do the 7-night package and transfer miles to Alaska. When he said it will take 1 to 2 weeks for the miles to be delivered I asked if there was a faster way. Yes there is for $15 delivery by 3 days. Only problem is he doesn't know how to do it and is looking for some rep who does know. Been on the line waiting for 30 min. now.
Edit: around the 35th minute the rep came back and said everything was good to go incl expediting the miles to Alaska. No fee charged.
Brendan likes this.

Last edited by Frank Wong; May 26, 2018 at 2:51 pm Reason: resolved
Old May 27, 2018, 4:37 pm

For those of you having problem getting good Marriott reps, ask for “Elite Services”. Those folks are well trained.
FLA77 likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 5:16 pm

I understand one can redeem an outstanding certificate for someone else (with the other person's name on the reservation) by calling in to make the booking. I presume there's no issues with the other person attaching their own elite member # to the reservation and enjoying elite benefits this way?
Old May 27, 2018, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
For those of you having problem getting good Marriott reps, ask for “Elite Services”. Those folks are well trained.
Do you mean you can talk to the bot lady with this phrase and get transferred to a human in the Elite Services dept?

These days one would feel when a human picks up the line after only 30 min wait...
Old May 27, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer05
I understand one can redeem an outstanding certificate for someone else (with the other person's name on the reservation) by calling in to make the booking. I presume there's no issues with the other person attaching their own elite member # to the reservation and enjoying elite benefits this way?
Dont think so. The owner of the cert remains attached to the cert in the sense of the status benefit. By the same token, if the others have no status but the owner of the cert has, the benefits transferred to the nonstatus guest, not the other way wrong.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:45 pm

Dont think so. The owner of the cert remains attached to the cert in the sense of the status benefit. By the same token, if the others have no status but the owner of the cert has, the benefits transferred to the nonstatus guest, not the other way wrong.
Hmm ok thanks. I take it you’re speaking from experience?

In this case, who gets the elite nights credit? The owner of the cert?
Old May 27, 2018, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Experience on the regular award nights. I dont think the 7 night cert would have a different set of rules from the regular award nights.

Probably nobody gets the stay credit due to the account that owns the cert, did not do the stay.

Marriott's rules (and all hotel programs seem so too) is that in order to earn stay credit, the account owner must do the stay and pay for the stay. In this case the stay is paid for fy the account owner alright but the account owner does not do the stay.

That I can also tell you from personal experience on a pay stay mix up by hotel error. when the invoice shows one account (mine) and then the payment is made by my husband's card because the reservation actually was made in his account, and he also stayed. The stay did not post in either account - the erroneous account due to hotel mistake, nor the account made the payment. It took a monumental effort to provide proof that the reservation was made under his name, in his account and he also stayed in order to correct the guest name on the hotel's side so he would get the stay credit. It was a critical stay too as we were doing Gold Challenge at the time.

Last edited by Happy; May 27, 2018 at 7:56 pm
Old May 27, 2018, 10:40 pm

In most cases the one who purchased the travel package will get the elite nights. It happened when my parents checked in, and when I have transferred to an employee. The only way I have heard of it going differently is if the checking in party can get the agent to change the rewards number and details on the reservation at the hotel. I have tried and failed, but I have read one or two reports of success. Finally, if the person checking in has higher status, they can show their app card and receive the benefits. Just don't take the Platinum arrival points as they don't show up if that party's MR number doesn't get changed (previous experience!)
Old May 27, 2018, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Is there a web page that explains the Marriott Travel Packages in detail, I have plenty of SPG points and been thinking about doing the 7 night at a Ritz Cat 4-5. When it comes to air points, can one determine if you want FC or Biz?
Old May 27, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Is there a web page that explains the Marriott Travel Packages in detail, I have plenty of SPG points and been thinking about doing the 7 night at a Ritz Cat 4-5. When it comes to air points, can one determine if you want FC or Biz?

​​​​​​https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi
Brendan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.