Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:56 am

Which Marriott Travel Package?

Hello FT,

I'm torn on whether to take 120k AS (Alaska) or 152k United miles with the 235k Marriott travel package.

Balances:
400k UR
175k Amex
140k AA
235k Marriott
30k AS

The main use of my miles are J/F cabins to Asia and SE Asia.
I occasionally travel to Europe as well.

In my case, should I take the United or AS miles?

TIA
Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by crazytravelguy
AA is over, UA is good til end of month.
Thanks
Knew it was one or the other. Thanks for the clarification.

Anyone know when they usually offer these bonuses?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:17 am

Is UA bonus still at 20%? The website seemed to show it is 10% only. Thanks.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you travel J/F to Asia why would you consider anything other than AS, which gets you Cathay Pacific and Korean, or even the longer way round with Emirates?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by yoyo
It's 152k miles for the travel package. I looked up the landing page earlier but forgot where it was.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
AS is the winner since you have more partners and need less miles to get an award ticket in the front of the plane to fly to Asia.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:26 pm

Thanks guys!

I'm even considering doing it twice or even 3x for 240k or 360k AS.
The only concern is if a devaluation is coming up..what do you guys think?

Last edited by Travelchurner; Nov 23, 2016 at 12:48 pm
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:34 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
It's 152k miles for the travel package. I looked up the landing page earlier but forgot where it was.
The 20K bonus will not post until after Jan 31st 2017.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yoyo
The 20% transfer bonus is offered by UA and is capped at 20K. You need to register on the bonus else you do not get it.

It is independent from the 10% extra on TP redemption.

TP is 132K. The 20% bonus is not a regular bonus. Need registration to get that. UA ran the same promotion last year.

Originally Posted by t1c
The 20K bonus will not post until after Jan 31st 2017.
Correct.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it still possible for anyone to get the 5 night package?
I want the 5 night and not the 7 night one.

I'm torn on whether to take Alaska miles or United as well..120k vs 152k.
I have 400k UR, 175k Amex, 235k Marriott, 140k AA, any suggestions?

I only redeem for J/F from USA to mostly Asia, and sometimes Europe.
Have you compared award charts among programs?

As a starter AS chart is partner specific. US to Asia on CX with stopover at HKG on one way or if you like, both direction on 2 one-ways, is 60K in J 70K in F one way. UA is 80K on partner. ditto AA, and 110K in F. Neither allows stopover on one way. UA has stopover on r/t. AA has none.

AS still uses old AA rate on AA chart.

For the 5 nights package, you can certainly call but Marriott has plugged the loophole published by the bloggers since 6 or 9 months ago. Nobody has reported any success in redeeming 5 nights in the past several months when not being a Vacation Club owner. In any case even if you would forfeit 2 nights you would still come out way ahead in the ratio of Marriott pts to airline miles redeeming the TP.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 23, 2016 at 7:15 pm
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:04 pm

Can 5-night travel packages still be booked?

I have the same question as a previous poster - has anyone (who is not a timeshare owner) had recent success in booking a 5-night travel package? I have called twice in the past week, and both agents responded almost immediately that this package is only available for timeshare owners. It seems they may have been trained to enforce their policy more strictly since the blog posts a few months ago. Before I continue calling, I wanted to see if anyone has had recent success (and if you would be willing to make any suggestions). Thank you!
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect as we send this to the Marriott Rewards forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:51 pm

I tried myself and had no luck trying to get the 5 night package. It looks like Marriott is actually enforcing the timeshare requirement.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thanks guys!

I'm even considering doing it twice or even 3x for 240k or 360k AS.
The only concern is if a devaluation is coming up..what do you guys think?
Devaluations happen. Hard to tell. But I would expect one from United before AS (which has to intergrate VX and try not to alienate those new customers)
Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by Happy
You mean a total of 10 business days?

The Marriott rep said for AS it would take a week. However DPs from SPG forum it usually took just 2 days.

Redeemed on 11/14 2pm (time stamp of the confirmation email).

No miles in AS account yet on 11/16 morning.
Redeemed for Travel package + Alaska miles on November 22, still no miles in my Alaska account

I see some CX J availability for the dates I want, I hope it's still there when the miles finally arrive to my Alaska account

Any other data points for Alaska miles Travel Package redemptions ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.