Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:46 am

Cool thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
That's assuming Marriott continues w/ the travel packages. We don't know yet.

Cheers.
My guess is Marriott may even eliminate the Travel Package or raise the point levels once it sees the number of redemption after the transferrability from SPG, especially after January 1st when the hold up demands of getting WN points spike the number of redemption much higher.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
That's assuming Marriott continues w/ the travel packages. We don't know yet.

Cheers.
SPG has a similar program called Nights and Flights. It is available for mid tier hotels only.

Given that, I am guessing some sort of package will survive, but whether it will look more like Marriott or SPG is anyone's guess.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 1:41 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eric6464
Can my friend and I redeem travel package together?

And let he get 7 free night. While I get those miles at my FFT account?
Per the T&Cs, the airline miles and points would go into the same person's FF and Marriott accounts. Once the FF miles have been deposited, who can use them and how is totally dependent on the airline program's rules. Technically, the hotel cert is supposed to be used by the person whose account it resides in (i.e. the person who has their name on that cert.)

But with that said, in the US, most hotels won't have any issue with adding a second name to the reservation and that 2nd person checking in (with the 1st person never having to show up.) So if you want to use the hotel cert for a stay in the US, you can most likely have the FF miles and the hotel cert go to one person, but the 2nd person can still use the hotel cert.

Outside the US, it really depends on the hotel in question. Most every Asia and Europe hotel I've stayed in wanted to see my passport when I was checking in. That could be problematic as the 2nd person's passport won't be the same name as the person in the reservation. So I'd be very hesitant in saying that the 2nd person could use the hotel cert without the 1st person being there as well.

Originally Posted by accrue450
Any speculation as to when SPG will permit the Marriott certificates from this package to be redeemed for SPG hotels??
Probably not until they actually "merge" the two programs. My guess is they won't fully merge until 2018, but it could happen later in 2017 if everything goes smoothly with the merger.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by 466SHH
SPG has a similar program called Nights and Flights. It is available for mid tier hotels only.

Given that, I am guessing some sort of package will survive, but whether it will look more like Marriott or SPG is anyone's guess.
I think there was already public comment from Marriott that the x-fers to MR were much higher than expected and appeared to be disproportionately oriented towards redemption of these awards.

My guess is this ended up being pretty expensive for them; perhaps not a long-term trend versus pent-up demand to redeem starpoints for airline miles more favorably, but my guess is it was visible enough for them to re-evaluate the current attractiveness of the program.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Who owns the points? I am pretty sure the FF miles can only go to an account that is in the same name as the MR account owner. Anyone can use the seven night certificate. If you need to combine points for the TP, Marriott allows that-but I think a max of 50k points/year. Hope that helps.
A and B both have some points and redeem together.

You meant if A has 7 free night then it can be used for anyone not only A?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01

Outside the US, it really depends on the hotel in question. Most every Asia and Europe hotel I've stayed in wanted to see my passport when I was checking in. That could be problematic as the 2nd person's passport won't be the same name as the person in the reservation. So I'd be very hesitant in saying that the 2nd person could use the hotel cert without the 1st person being there as well.
Yeah...I think it only can be applied to US hotel
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:00 am

Are TP nights not treated the same way as normal points nights, which I've never seen any suggestion that there are issues with the 2nd guest checking in and staying without the account holder being present?

I did hear that the credit card certificate nights are for the account holder only, but not the TP nights.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:07 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stargold
I did hear that the credit card certificate nights are for the account holder only, but not the TP nights.
Good question. Normal awards can be ordered (i.e. created) in anyone's name. TP awards (at least in the past) were ordered (i.e. created) in the person's name who ordered the award. Thus technically only the person who ordered the award could use it.

But with that said, its been quite a few years since I tried to use a TP hotel award cert for someone else. So maybe it is possible that has changed. I'll defer to anyone who has more recent experience and knowledge.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:40 am

Just to confirm, I can receive the 20% AA bonus twice if I were to order a second package under the current promo and there is no cap as per the UA packages?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:18 am

Good question. Normal awards can be ordered (i.e. created) in anyone's name. TP awards (at least in the past) were ordered (i.e. created) in the person's name who ordered the award. Thus technically only the person who ordered the award could use it.

But with that said, its been quite a few years since I tried to use a TP hotel award cert for someone else. So maybe it is possible that has changed. I'll defer to anyone who has more recent experience and knowledge.
I thought the SOP for booking awards for other people was to book it under the primary member's name, and then add the other person's name as second guest, which allows him or her to check in by him/herself without you being present?

I found a Marriott Insider thread where they describe doing exactly this with TPs, so I am reasonably confident that it will work.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Eric6464
A and B both have some points and redeem together.

You meant if A has 7 free night then it can be used for anyone not only A?
My experience is anyone can use the 7 night certificate. I have given it to others for use inside and outside the US. All relatives. Calling Marriott in advance and saying who was going to use it. There has never been an issue.

Some other people posting (who also know a lot about MR) are giving differing opinions.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Just to confirm, I can receive the 20% AA bonus twice if I were to order a second package under the current promo and there is no cap as per the UA packages?
I have ordered 2 AA packages and the bonus points posted with both, Per AA term and conditions you can do it multiple times and receive the bonus.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Is it true that these can only be booked over the phone and the phone center closes at 7pm?!?!

I just had some points hit earlier today and wanted to redeem for the 20% AA bonus, but it seems like I might be out of luck. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I ended up calling the Japanese call center since it was still open, but hopefully there is a better way I'm not aware of. I tried twitter too, but didn't get a response from Marriott Rewards.

Last edited by spgplat21; Nov 14, 2016 at 8:38 pm
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by extremeromance
I have ordered 2 AA packages and the bonus points posted with both, Per AA term and conditions you can do it multiple times and receive the bonus.
aa.com said the current 20% bonus ends today, 11/14. https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...tt-rewards.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.