Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:57 pm
alc

Originally Posted by extremeromance
If I want to book a travel package and only have 120k points in my account can I use 150k points from a friends account to make it to 270k, keeping in mind that I have already bought 50k points from Marriott this year and had another 50k transferred from family member directly in my account as per the maximum transfer limit.
Yes, as hhoope01 metnioned you can transfer more than 50K when you have "completing" an existing reservation.

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Technically, I think you are only supposed to be able to pull more than the 50K (when ordering an award) once per year. But it is possible they will still let you do it again. In the past, they have played fairly "loose" with the rules around transferring points between accounts. So they might still do it.

I'd call in and ask them. Note you don't have to mention that you've done it once already this year. If they've tracked it and tell you no because of that, fine. But if they didn't track it or don't realize and let you transfer the points for the award. Great. ^
as far as I know, the restriction is that each member can only transfer "out" as many times they want as long as they are still under 50K of transfer "out" points. But as receiver, you can rec'd as many other members as possible.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:01 pm

Thanks for the quick answers everyone, will give this a shot!
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no restriction on quantity of points transferred between SPG and Marriott, right?

Otherwise the blogger world would not keep touting the virtue of 90K SPG pts.

Still on the fence on whether to take advantage of UA extra 20K transfer bonus or go with AS which is a much more valuable currency.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:06 pm
brg

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Can anyone PM me if they've had any positive data points on the 5 night travel packages (last two weeks)? I've heard a positives from last month, but won't mention the method publicly.
I just did a 5 night package + 120k AA miles (with 20% bonus offer)
80k SPG > 240k MR less 235k for package
I got 140k AA and 5 nights at 1-5 hotel for 79k spg
(or 40k AA free along with 5 nights instead of usual transfer)
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:12 pm
brg

Originally Posted by Happy
There is no restriction on quantity of points transferred between SPG and Marriott, right?
Otherwise the blogger world would not keep touting the virtue of 90K SPG pts.
Still on the fence on whether to take advantage of UA extra 20K transfer bonus or go with AS which is a much more valuable currency.
At 270k for usual package, one would need multiples of 90k spg
Even 1M spg will only get 3M MR = 11 packages
The 20% bonus is only for UA and AA and once per account

Looking at most miles, the best are these along with 7 nights free class 1-5
UA - 132 + 20k = 152k UA is almost anywhere in the world in business class
AA - 120 + 20k = 140k which is enough for India/ Australia in business class
SW RR -120k - worth at least 1500$
AS 120k - enough for 1 business class award r/t

So AS, AA and UA appear very similar

I suppose one can do multiples of packages without the extra bonus, but I can at most do these for 2 people in family with status for UA and AA
So the rest can be done anytime (unless MR devalues suddenly)
Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:58 pm

So the 20 percent bonus is only once per account with UA and AA, meaning if 2 travel packages are redeemed then the second one will not get the bonus?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by brg

I suppose one can do multiples of packages without the extra bonus, but I can at most do these for 2 people in family with status for UA and AA
I just read the AA terms and conditions and the wording states that members can convert multiple times during the promotion period, am I missing something?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 3:56 am

So the 20 percent bonus is only once per account with UA and AA, meaning if 2 travel packages are redeemed then the second one will not get the bonus?
UA is 20% bonus maximum of 20,000.

In the past they have run this 2x a year.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
UA is 20% bonus maximum of 20,000.

In the past they have run this 2x a year.
Correct, however AA doesn't have the same wording.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by brg
I just did a 5 night package + 120k AA miles (with 20% bonus offer)
80k SPG > 240k MR less 235k for package
I got 140k AA and 5 nights at 1-5 hotel for 79k spg
(or 40k AA free along with 5 nights instead of usual transfer)
This is without being a timeshare member?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brg

Not talking about the value of 90K SPG. Some of us also have a good amount of MR pts sitting in the account so the SPG 1 to 3 is a very nice addition.

Taking into the account of the availability of saver award seats and the chart cost, I would say AS > UA > AA which is a distant third. Never fly WN in the past and most likely not in the future so the RR is meaningless to us.

If your goal is to India/ Australia in business class using AA miles, you should do some search to see the availability reality and not just relying on the figures on AA chart. This is from me who has just done a big RTW trip that included Europe / Australia / Asia in May/June - The only portion that AA miles came in play was HKG-LAX-MIA in CX J. Never found any QF availability between SYD-HKG, and despite CX flies to 6, yes, 6 airports in Australia, we could not find a single route that would work in our desirable day + / - 3 days. Meanwhile TG had J availability SYD-BKK-HKG everyday and F on 90% of the days. Oh, it costs 10K less using UA than AA, just for the kicker.

Charts mean nothing if you cannot find award seats. Staring at our combined total of close to 1 million AA miles I wish they would be AS miles or UA miles both are down to 600K because we have to use them far more often than AA miles - just returned from a trip to South Africa and Hong Kong with 140K AS miles r/t x 2 in CX F/J and have a one-way JNB-HKG-LAX-SEA-YYC booked with 70K AS miles x 2. I may do the UA bonus this year and hope to see an AS bonus next year but I dont think I have ever seen an AS bonus promo in the past.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 11, 2016 at 3:39 pm
Old Oct 30, 2016, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Willbur
The loophole of 5 nights package has been killed since the bloggers bragged about it earlier this year. Marriott would not budge now if you are not a timeshare owner.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:00 pm

If I want to book a travel package and only have 120k points in my account can I use 150k points from a friends account to make it to 270k, keeping in mind that I have already bought 50k points from Marriott this year and had another 50k transferred from family member directly in my account as per the maximum transfer limit.
I tried doing that by requesting to transfer my 120K points to my wife's 150K in order to book the 270K points stay and fly package. However, I was told that is not allowed with the stay and fly packages. You can only go over the 50K annual limt if you make a hotel only award booking. I am not sure what would happen if I attempt to make a hotel booking costing all 270K points and then cancel though? I ended up transfering to SPG and requested a transfer to my wife's spg account. Still pending though, not sure if SPG has a limit (I thought i read something about a 30K limit earliest this year).
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Willbur
Curious to know the answer to this as well
Old Oct 31, 2016, 5:31 am

Can someone confirm? I was planning to get the stay and fly package by transferring over 50K points to my husbands account. Is this allowed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.