Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2006, 6:21 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Copilot23
Along the same line of thought. I've never used a package in the past, but based on past comments on this board was considering the 7 night in a category 7 with airfare to Hawaii. But what I encountered was the resort hotel only showing stay-anytime availability through the spring and early summer months. If I was to send the points to my AA account, what would be the chances of standard rewards on both the resort side and airline side showing up together to make a 7 day trip possible. I'm sure others have done it, and my search was just a very cursory search to assess availability. What has been your experience?
The only Cat 7 in HI is the JW Marriott Ihilani. There are plenty of Standard awards available but they are upgraded standard awards, which means for an ocean view in addition to the points for the Cat 7 stay you will also need an upgrade certificate at 5000 points each for each night you stay, along with a $50 per night upgrade charge. FWIW the weeks of April 15-22 and April 22-29 have the above award available at the JW Marriott Ihilani. You want to search at the hotel's web page not from the general reservation page. When you are unable to find the rewards stay you want you will see a link down toward the bottom of the page (as shown below) that will take you to an alternate date finder:

Travel dates flexible? Alternate Date Finder shows you when
Marriott Hotel Rewards are available >>

Use the alternate date finder, setting the options to 4 weeks and looking for 1 night and then you will see availability for 4 weeks. You will be required to sign in during this process if you have not done so already. Then you will be provided a number of award options. You may end up clicking on some and the system may come back and say that option is not available. Once you identify the dates that are available then go back and search for those dates at the hotel's web page.

Note that you can combine paid and reward nights and still use a 7 night certificate. If you stay 9 nights the first 4 are awards the 2 middle are paid and the last 3 are awards then you can use a 7 night certificate for this stay as long as the nights are all at the same hotel.

Also, I always bank the miles that come with my travel package. I use them later for upgrades to whereever, and whenever. I buy AA YUP fares to Hawaii as they are usually quite good. Using miles for award tickets to Hawaii IMO is a rip off. Using them for upgrading purchased coach tickets is good though. JMO

Last edited by aaupgrade; Dec 18, 2006 at 6:27 pm
Old Dec 18, 2006, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
On a somewhat related note, for those of you having trouble finding 7 consecutive night availability, I found this post in another thread to be interesting:

Originally Posted by aupgrade
Note that you can combine paid and reward nights and still use a 7 night certificate. If you stay 9 nights the first 4 are awards the 2 middle are paid and the last 3 are awards then you can use a 7 night certificate for this stay as long as the nights are all at the same hotel.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
The experience posted by aupgrade jives with mine as well, in that a paid stay and award stay can be mixed at the same property. By that very logic, a stay anytime award and standard award should be able to be mixed as well, at the same property.

As my experience today bore out, getting them to do such things can be a lot harder in reality than it is in theory

Pat
Old Dec 18, 2006, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by pinniped
Do you already accrue AA miles? Their program is unique in that all miles - including partner miles - count towards lifetime levels.
I favor AA for this reason and because AA does not allow transfers from Amex Membership Rewards whereas DL, CO do.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 10:05 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Are you saying that if the Marriott transfer provides 85k miles-you will get 127500 miles from BA-with a 50% bonus?
Yes, that's absolutely correct, when BA is offering the bonus. Many of us took advantage of the BA bonus last (two) times it was offered.

Last time it was 30%; http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ht=British+Air

My recollection is that it was 50% the time before (but it could have been 30%.)

I notice somebody posted above that the BA bonus is on now. I'm not aware of that (it could be, I don't know), but maybe it's a reference to the Diner's Club 50% BA bonus which is on now. Remember, these bonuses are sponsored by the airlines, not by Marriott. The BA bonus seems to be the most frequent one. One advantage of BA is that the miles can be used on American (except to the UK). One disadvantage is that if you are not a member of the BA Executive Club (their frequent flyer program), it is relatively difficult to join. As I recall, to join you must fly on a BA flight, or obtain a BA Visa credit card. They might also have an arrangement with Diners to allow membership.

Last edited by ohmark; Dec 18, 2006 at 10:10 pm
Old Dec 19, 2006, 1:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well I'm going to Grosvenor House in Feb & I'll be doing a combo award - StayAnytime for the first night (grrr) & Standard for the remaining 3 nights. I'm not sure there's anything strange in my situation. I talked to the Plat line today & it says it shows 2 awards being needed (maybe cuz the SA is the first night it makes it easier) & at Cat 6 (the hotel just changed to Cat 7).

Cheers.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:53 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I know this is a little OT, but a month or so ago, GH was showing lots of availability. I just tried it again this morning and nothing for any Thurs/Fri from February onto the end of the year.

Also, GH is still showing as a Cat. 6, not a 7. Though I did notice there is a note stating that new renovated rooms will be available starting April 1st. Possibly the category change will occur after the rooms are available?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:40 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ohmark
Yes, that's absolutely correct, when BA is offering the bonus. Many of us took advantage of the BA bonus last (two) times it was offered.

Last time it was 30%; http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ht=British+Air

My recollection is that it was 50% the time before (but it could have been 30%.)

I notice somebody posted above that the BA bonus is on now. I'm not aware of that (it could be, I don't know), but maybe it's a reference to the Diner's Club 50% BA bonus which is on now. Remember, these bonuses are sponsored by the airlines, not by Marriott. The BA bonus seems to be the most frequent one. One advantage of BA is that the miles can be used on American (except to the UK). One disadvantage is that if you are not a member of the BA Executive Club (their frequent flyer program), it is relatively difficult to join. As I recall, to join you must fly on a BA flight, or obtain a BA Visa credit card. They might also have an arrangement with Diners to allow membership.

That's awesome-I was disappointed about the lower mileage on the foreign carriers. I will watch for the specials and take advantage-THANKS FOR THE INFO!!!! ^ ^

PS: Where do you normally see these offers? Marriott's website or the individual airlines.

Last edited by Mr. Vker; Dec 19, 2006 at 10:26 am
Old Dec 19, 2006, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
When I booked beginning of May this year for next Feb it showed no Fri (I don't think I paid attention to Thurs since I wasn't arriving until Fri) for several months. I've been calling periodically since then to see if Fri was switched to Standard, but no such luck.

When I went to check online yest or day before, it showed GH as Cat 7 which totally surprised me since I didn't think the renovations were done. I had the Plat line note that I made my ressie when it was a Cat 6. If it's showing Cat 6 still (or again), then that won't be an issue. I was using the dates for my stay when I checked, not April.

Truthfully I figured if there was going to be a StayAnytime night it would have been the Monday night (when more biz people are staying there) than the Fri night.

Cheers.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 3:26 pm

I booked RCC and GH for a full week over the New Year and for the March Spring Break week. I then decided on RCC for the New Year trip and cancelled the GH trip. Then the wife said she wanted to take the kids to DC for springbreak. So I cancelled both RCC and GH for the March trip. But after your post, I thought that it was wierd that you couldn't get a full week. So I checked and now I can't get another one for the whole year.

BTW, it sounds like you are talking with the reservation line to check availability (and that is fine.) But you can do that online very easily and look at availability a month at a time to see exactly which days have anytime availability and which do not.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 3:28 pm

Posted here in error --- Reposted on correct thread.

Last edited by rahmanbar; Dec 19, 2006 at 3:58 pm
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:07 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SWA CP
Originally Posted by ohmark
You might also check for which carriers offer bonus redemptions for hotel points. British Air has offered as much as a 50% bonus, and others including Northwest have offered bonuses in the past. I'm not sure about current offers, but I always wait to buy travel packages until there is a promo being offered. It increases your points received from 25% to 50%.
In my continuing research on this subject, today I found an offer from NWA for 25% bonus miles good through (also must register):

Terms and Conditions:

This 25% Bonus Miles offer is valid between November 6, 2006 and January 31, 2007 (“Promotional Period”).
Offer is only valid for WorldPerks members who reside in North America.
Only points to miles conversions made during the Promotional Period with the following hotel partners (“Participating Partners”) qualify for the 25% Bonus: Goldpoints Plus, Hilton HHonors, Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club Rewards and Marriott Rewards.
Limit one 25% bonus per Participating Partner points to miles conversion.
Bonus Miles will be retroactively removed if account is merged.
Please allow 6-8 weeks from activity date of converted miles for 25% Bonus Miles to post to the account.
If your points to miles conversion does not appear in your WP account, please contact the Participating Hotel Partner to verify the transfer.
Please review Participating Partners points to miles conversion terms and conditions before converting.

goldpoints plus
Hilton HHonors
Hyatt Gold Passport
Marriott Rewards
Priority Club Rewards

Converted miles and Bonus Miles will post as banked miles, not Elite Qualifying Miles.
Northwest Airlines has the final authority on the interpretation of these rules.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 7:41 am

Programs: AAEXP 3+MM, Marriott Plt and Plt for life, Hyatt Diamond
Travel Package question

I have a question. If you purchase a travel package can you split your hotel stay between a couple properties if they are within the point catagory purchased? I know there is a hotel sampler for Europe but I don't see anything about sampler and air miles combined.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 8:48 am

I have asked Marriott in the past about this and have been told, no. The travel packages come with a 7-night single hotel cert and that can't be changed. It was a good idea though, and one I had thought about with my upcoming London stay.

But with that said, there is an option. There is no requirement that the hotel cert you receive with your travel package award be used on the same trip as your FF miles are used. In other words, you could order the travel package and order a hotel sampler package. You would use the FF miles from the travel package to fly where ever you wanted and then use the hotel sampler. Of course you would still have the 7 night stay award. With that you can hold on to it and use it within the next year (or longer if you call and have them extend it.) Or you could return it for a modest return of points (which I think is around 35-50K depending on the hotel category.)
Old Dec 22, 2006, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by flyinghome
I have a question. If you purchase a travel package can you split your hotel stay between a couple properties if they are within the point catagory purchased? I know there is a hotel sampler for Europe but I don't see anything about sampler and air miles combined.
No it must be at the same hotel. They can break up the nights to be combined with paid nights, but they must be used for that one stay.

Example:

I had a 10 night stay in Buenos Aires 7 of the nights was using the travel package award. 3 of the nights were paid. The agent selected and secured the most expensive nights out of the ten and booked the 7 night award and left the remaining 3 less expensive nights for me to pay. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.