Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2007, 7:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Bonvoy, World of Hyatt
Thanks for the advice, gardener, Delta3MM and hhoope01.

I'm going to go with the travel package. I was hesitant because it would eat up nearly all of my Marriott Points, leaving me with a balance of a few thousand. But like you all have said, FF miles can give me more bang for my point. My status is nothing like many people here, so 50,000 miles is a big deal. Just want to make sure I'm getting the most value for my miles and points.

Now, I know it's a question better suited for another forum, but has anyone had luck getting business class seats on NWA from SEA-BKK? I can only find coach for next December.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 8:03 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
If the airline points are used for business/first class tickets or upgrades, then their value is multiplied and worth considerably more than a Marriott point.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Which airlines do you transfer to for the Asia bus tix?
Since I'm 1K with United, I usually transfer my miles to United. I can book on any star allance carrier on a business class ticket, availability permitting.

Billy
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, Lifetime Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
A few years ago I cashed in points for a package deal that gave an extra 25% AA miles. I got 150,000 miles for the 'price' of 120,000, which enabled hubby and me to fly biz class to Paris where we used the hotel cert to stay at the Marriott Champs Elysees. I have been saving up points in the hope that Marriott will offer this type of deal again.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:23 pm

NWA has the same offer now until the end of the month. 120,000 gets you 150,000 NWA miles.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:06 pm

Where can I find the NWA deal online? At the Marriott or NWA site?
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:08 pm

Nevermind, I found it. Thanks for the tip.

http://www.nwa.com/offers/PTM/
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:59 pm

Travel package online redemtion?

1.) Is it possible to redeem a travel package online or do I have to call (= reserve the hotel nights)?

2.) Is it possible to check hotel availability online? E.g. I search for a 7-night stay with points: if the hotel is available for points, then I can also use a travel package certificate. Or is there another way to check hotel availability for a travel package?
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:24 pm

Do you mean travel packages that include airline miles? If so then you must call marriott Rewards to transfer the miles into the airline of your choice. But you can reserve a room using a reward certificate at anytime. Just check the small box where it says "Use Marriott Rewards points" which is below where you input your Marriott account number.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by imverge
Do you mean travel packages that include airline miles?
Yes.

Thanks for your reply. If I click "Use Marriott Rewards points" and the hotel is available for e.g. "140,000 POINTS for stay (standard reward)", can I book the room and redeem a travel package? Or must the website show something like "travel package" in the search results.

Last edited by HansHuckebein; Jan 15, 2007 at 12:21 am
Old Jan 15, 2007, 2:52 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by imverge
Do you mean travel packages that include airline miles? If so then you must call marriott Rewards to transfer the miles into the airline of your choice.
This is not correct, I have transferred 8 lots of miles on line as part of a travel package - just follow the process and you will be asked for your airline and FF account number.

Originally Posted by HansHuckebein
Yes.

Thanks for your reply. If I click "Use Marriott Rewards points" and the hotel is available for e.g. "140,000 POINTS for stay (standard reward)", can I book the room and redeem a travel package? Or must the website show something like "travel package" in the search results.
You can book the hotel whether or not you have the miles or a certificate and whether or not the certificate or miles are part of a travel package.

There is a box for you to indicate whether you have a certificate or not. If you say you do not have a certificate then there will be an automatic redemption of the points required for the 7 night stay - 150000/130000/115000 as appropriate, and thiswill remain as an electronic record on your account.

You should say you already have the certificate in which case the booking is just made for you. (You don't get certificates any more - just an electronic record, the only paper you get sent is a discount voucher for Hertz)

You can then choose at any time before your stay to redeem a 7 night award or a travel package to match the booking.

If you have already redeemed a travel package before your booking ( for instance because you need the miles earlier) then you should still say that you have the certificate to stop the system redeeming another set of points for you.

When you actually stay the hotel should be able to see either your 7 night award or travel package award on your account and match it to your stay.

Everything can be done on line.

Tom
Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:24 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HansHuckebein
If I click "Use Marriott Rewards points" and the hotel is available for e.g. "140,000 POINTS for stay (standard reward)", can I book the room and redeem a travel package?
I think TOMSURFER answered most of your question, but make sure that the award stay is a standard award. The hotel portion of the travel packages are only usable with standard awards.

Originally Posted by TOMSURFER
This is not correct, I have transferred 8 lots of miles on line as part of a travel package - just follow the process and you will be asked for your airline and FF account number.
I know that Marriott has definitely allowed more and more award redemptions online, but I didn't realize that even the FF miles transfers could be done online. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
I just thought I would add that although I have always performed my travel package redemptions on line, I did regret it last time.

I needed UA miles quickly because I had cancelled a miles booking and couldn't wait for the miles to be recredited before I made a new booking.

So I thought the transfer from Marriott would be quicker - but it took 2 weeks.

I understand from other posters in this Forum that if you ring up for your redemption you can ask for an expedited miles transfer (for a fee). However this fee is normally waived for Platinums. So if you want a quick miles transfer it may be better to ring up rather than do it online.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, UA 1K
The hotel portion of the travel packages are only usable with standard awards.

Just two weeks ago, I called the Platinum line, since there were no standard hotel awards available at the end of March in Orlando. They were able to issue me a Stay Anytime travel package, which included the 50% additional required points for the hotel stay. Of Course, the airline miles were still 1 for 1.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Delta3MM
For me - I always get the travel packages - with as many miles as possilbe - 120K miles. I value airline miles at more than marriott miles.

I fully agree with Delta3MM. I never miss the chance to convert MP into miles at a 1:1 ratio so everytime I go for the 120K miles. My math shows that I get more thru miles rather than thru hotel nights. With 50,000 MR points I get 50,000 miles which allow me to redeem a $1,200 round trip ticket to the US. However, with the same 50,000 MR points I just get 2 nights at a cat. 5 hotel, translating into $500 aprox.

Diversification is also good as there is some "devaluation" as Marriott upgrades their hotels to upper categories. Finally, I'm not sure about this (please comment) but I read that miles transferred to AA count towards the 1M lifetime status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.