Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
After reading the instructions for redeeming this award, I have a couple more questions. It says to call in and choose your hotel, and they will issue an electronic certificate. I don't really have a set trip just yet, but it says it takes up to 6 weeks for the miles to appear in your account. Can I just choose any hotel in the right category for now and then change it later so that I can get started on the process of transferring the miles? Is there any problem changing dates or the hotel once you call in with a particular hotel as part of this award and they issue the electronic certificate? It does mention that you can pay an expedite fee and get the miles faster. What is the fee and how much faster can you get them?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by number5858
After reading the instructions for redeeming this award, I have a couple more questions. It says to call in and choose your hotel, and they will issue an electronic certificate. I don't really have a set trip just yet, but it says it takes up to 6 weeks for the miles to appear in your account. Can I just choose any hotel in the right category for now and then change it later so that I can get started on the process of transferring the miles? Is there any problem changing dates or the hotel once you call in with a particular hotel as part of this award and they issue the electronic certificate? It does mention that you can pay an expedite fee and get the miles faster. What is the fee and how much faster can you get them?
Miles typically post 48-72 hours. You do not have to use the hotel at the same time. In fact, I don't think I ever have.

Like San1K, I rarely use all 7 nights - it is easier to get a suite upgrade that way
Old Apr 9, 2008, 6:30 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by number5858
Can I just choose any hotel in the right category for now and then change it later so that I can get started on the process of transferring the miles? Is there any problem changing dates or the hotel once you call in with a particular hotel as part of this award and they issue the electronic certificate?
The biggest issue with changing hotels is making sure there is Standard Award availability for the hotel you want to use the award at. Other than that, a quick and easy call to MR can get your award cert associated with a different hotel award reservation.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 8:05 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
I have redeemed numerous packages, and HAVE received the points back when downgrading from a cat 7 to 6.

Now, has anyone ever used the cert for 7 days for 2 rooms over 3 days each? I have this coming up, and will attempt this!

(Or thinking of the euro special 3 hotels, 7 nights....2,2 and 3, for the 2 rooms)

The single rooms for 3 nights is a KILLER in points!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 8:16 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
I have redeemed numerous packages, and HAVE received the points back when downgrading from a cat 7 to 6.
That is great to hear. Was this a recent request? Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me do that in the past (about 3 or 4 years ago I think.) Also per Chris, who used to be the Marriott Concierge, found here Question for Chris on Travel Package award/Stay Anytime View Single Post , officially points aren't given back for using a cert at a lower level hotel.

Also, I found the Chris/Socrates -- Reward Code 086 Question thread, while old it is still probably valid, where it implies that a single 7 night award cannot be used for multiple concurrent rooms. But go ahead an ask anyway. Maybe something has changed, or maybe you will get lucky and the hotel will allow it. Good luck.

Last edited by hhoope01; Apr 9, 2008 at 8:30 am
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by hhoope01
If your not sure of the hotel you want to use the hotel cert for order the lowest possible category (i.e. Cat. 1-5). You can upgrade a cert by calling MR and paying the point difference between the category levels. So no penalty. But you can't call MR and get points back by reducing your cert's category level.
Good advice is common among FTers. But this one is beyond good. Its' fantastic. ^
Thank you.
Old May 12, 2008, 10:07 pm

I'm actually about to redeem one of these purely for the miles. Is it still possible to redeposit the hotel certificate for MR points? I don't really see myself using the certificate anytime soon or should I just keep renewing the cert?
Old May 13, 2008, 12:05 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Unfortunately Marriott just downgraded the hotel portion of air/hotel awards so that if you return only the hotel portion, you get far fewer points than you used to.

So, I'd keep the cerftificate alive for a year, renew and try and use it even if only for a 3 day stay or so, you'd come out ahead. Of course, if you can use the whole 7 days stay, even the better.

Keeping the certificate alive keeps your options open, once you turn the certificate back in, it's gone and you get very few points back...

Billy
Old May 13, 2008, 8:17 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by hhoope01
But you can't call MR and get points back by reducing your cert's category level.

Yes you can, I just did it...downgraded from a Cat 6 to a Cat 1-5 package award.
Old May 14, 2008, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Delta3MM
Unfortunately Marriott just downgraded the hotel portion of air/hotel awards so that if you return only the hotel portion, you get far fewer points than you used to.

So, I'd keep the cerftificate alive for a year, renew and try and use it even if only for a 3 day stay or so, you'd come out ahead. Of course, if you can use the whole 7 days stay, even the better.

Keeping the certificate alive keeps your options open, once you turn the certificate back in, it's gone and you get very few points back...

Billy
Hi,
Is there a fee to renew the certificate? and how many times can you renew this certificate?
Thanks
Trang
Old Jul 23, 2008, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Question Are Travel Packages Still Worth It Or Should I Just Book A Hotel Only Reward?

Comments requested.

Thinking now that with the devaluation of FF miles given the new fees associated with obtaining such awards, and the general problem of date availability and whether or not a non-stop is available to your desired destination, whether a re-thinking of the benefits of a travel package where one gets FF miles now needs to be re-evaluated.

We are not elite in any airline FF program, so difficulty in using miles is greater than for someone who is elite or expects to remain elite in their FF program where award availability may be greater than for the average person.

Just wondering whether it now might be better banking the extra MR points that are associated with a travel package (and their conversion into FF miles) and instead just using them for another straight hotel reward for future stays.

With prices of European hotels through the roof, I was thinking that this may be a better long term use of points for someone in our position.

What say you?

Thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2008, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
It depends on your circumstances. For me, transferring MR points to AA is a huge plus and continues to be a great value. In fact, as fares continue to rise, the FF miles become more valuable. I've never had a problem redeeming awards, provided that my travel plans have been flexible.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 3:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
It depends on your redemption patterns for plane tickets and hotel rooms. If you can get first/business tickets on international flights, the travel packages are nice. If you are satisfied with coach tickets and like to stay at hotels in London where room rates can approach $800, you might be better off redeeming for a week of free room. I will redeem my first travel package in the next two months, and I intend to get AA miles. With enough time, I should be able to get lifetime gold and maybe platinum on AA.

Last edited by VA1379; Jul 23, 2008 at 5:10 pm Reason: Wrong levels for AA program
Old Jul 23, 2008, 3:26 pm
Suspended

I hear both of you loud and clear. I, myself, have been redeeming points from my Marriott account towards AA lifetime Gold -- don't know if I will ever reach it but am trying.

The points we are redeeming are from my wife's separate account, and we are not sure whether it is worth it to pursue in AA or anyone else.

At least one of you are elite in AA so that also makes a difference, of course.

Would love to fly business over to Europe but it is not available and since R/T coach to Berlin I snagged for $610 on DL -- with exit row on the overnight for us, it seemed that perhaps, I should just redeem the hotel only reward and bank her points for a future hotel award or travel package.

Berlin Marriott is our reward hotel if one had not guessed yet.

With 50,000 miles for R/T European travel and at the very least approx. $100in taxes and fees, not to mention future or present fees for reward seat redemptions on various airlines, I am starting to wonder whether in the long run, FF mile redemptions, and the programs, themselves, have any long term future. (I know that some are considering switching to a cash back card in lieu of their FF miles earning cards.)

I always have classified Hotel rewards programs in a different category as it was always far easier to redeem such awards and still is a lot less expensive to drive to certain destinations for points earning or redemption possibilities (mattress runs, etc.) than flying to a destination for your vacation -- even with $4.00 fuel -- you just don't necessarily travel as far.

More comments welcome!

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Jul 23, 2008 at 5:43 pm
Old Jul 23, 2008, 3:57 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
My patterns have changed. I have to say, that I have close to 750K in my account, and earn about 700K-900K a year! So, YMMV.

BUT...that said. I am now looking at using my UA SWU's to u/g coach tix, and NOT dump miles into CO/UA ff accts. I feel that the use of MR points for London (my wife's FAVORITE place!) and other expensive hotels is now a better value, while paying for coach and u/g'ing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.