Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2008, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Blue, Priority Club Plat (again!), Marriott Rewards Gold
Thanks for all your responses. Sorry it was a typo the certifcate was ordered in July 2008.
Phil
Old Dec 16, 2008, 9:40 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Great series of posts with time-sensitive information and analysis and strategy for Marriott Rewards members with loads of points to use for better value in 2009. Thanks Grizshel.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 9:53 am

Thanks for sharing, lots of good info.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Folks, as discussed on other threads of late, it is now too late to order a HI or Europe sampler package, but you still have to the close of business for Marriott Rewards on January 14, 2009 to get a travel package (with airline miles) ordered under the soon to expire point system. To my knowledge the rules for changes in hotel reservations with either type of package during 2009 have not been published on Marriott.com - although Marriott Concierge has assured us that at least the sampler packages will have a great deal of flexibility. I take from some of MC's posts that there will be some changes allowed with the Travel Packages also, but the limits on the changes have not been (and may not be) published, so proceed with caution especially if you anticipate you may have to make multiple changes. I'd like this situation to be better defined, but I can understand the difficulty they would anticipate in just saying unlimited changes are allowed.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The HI 7 night sampler is still for sale on the MR website. It never had a expiration date of Dec. 31 listed like the European one did and when I asked last month on the forum if it was going away noone answered. I guess the answer was no.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
The HI 7 night sampler is still for sale on the MR website. It never had a expiration date of Dec. 31 listed like the European one did and when I asked last month on the forum if it was going away noone answered. I guess the answer was no.
That is very interesting!
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:35 pm

Programs: LT Mariott Platinum?, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Nothing.
I asked two different reps, one on 12/30/08 and one on 12/31/08. Both confirmed that the Hawaii sampler was not expiring 12/31/08.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by copyright1997
I asked two different reps, one on 12/30/08 and one on 12/31/08. Both confirmed that the Hawaii sampler was not expiring 12/31/08.
If this is being continued indefinitey for 150k, then megakudos to Marriott for giving us another great way out of the sting of the upcoming point inflation! ^ Am very surprised they did not ever mention leaving us with this great perk (well, if you like going to Hawaii, that is )
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by GrizShel
If this is being continued indefinitey for 150k, then megakudos to Marriott for giving us another great way out of the sting of the upcoming point inflation! ^ Am very surprised they did not ever mention leaving us with this great perk (well, if you like going to Hawaii, that is )
It is nice that there is at least one nice offer out there left!

I may be wrong here but occupancy rates in Hawaii are not breaking any records right now with this economy...so it probably makes decent business sense too to leave us at least one bone...for those who haven't already cleaned out our account at least
Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:35 am
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Originally Posted by copyright1997
The Hawaiian and UK / Ireland Sampler Rewards will not be offered after January 15, 2009. However, like the European Hopper, these awards can still be used if ordered prior to January 15. I apologize for any misinformation that has been provided.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Drew
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shoot. DH has only 147,000 points after ordering the Euro hopper but is staying in San Diego for 10 days this month, not until after the 15th. We were going to order the HI hopper at the end of that stay.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
The Hawaiian and UK / Ireland Sampler Rewards will not be offered after January 15, 2009. However, like the European Hopper, these awards can still be used if ordered prior to January 15. I apologize for any misinformation that has been provided.

Best regards,

Drew
Figures
Old Jan 6, 2009, 2:42 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
The Hawaiian and UK / Ireland Sampler Rewards will not be offered after January 15, 2009.

Thanks for the 'heads up' on yet another value-added feature to the MR program!
Old Jan 6, 2009, 3:12 pm

Programs: LT Mariott Platinum?, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Nothing.

Best regards,

Drew
Yes, I have concerns.
1. As I mentioned before, I specifically asked two separate reps if this award was expiring. The answer from both was No. I asked specifically because I was ordering this award for my brother/his wife as a gift, and at the same time was considering a Europe hopper for myself. When I learned that this wasn't going away and the last day for the Europe award was 12/31/08, I prioritized the Europe award. I might not have done this knowing the above.

2. I don't frequent this forums every day, usually I go several weeks between visits. I would have be really p*ssed off If I "discovered" in February that this award went away. (Well, I'm not exactly happy now.)

3. The Marriott web site still doesn't mention anything about this award going away 1/15/2009.

Last comment: I am a (very) long term stock holder in Marriott (and HST for that matter), circa 1990. As a guest, I have accumulated well over 1 million Marriott rewards points, most of them accumulated in relatively expensive Marriott properties. As a stock holder, I can't think of a *worse* time for Marriott to have made these changes and am additionally concerned about how the changes were made and communicated. To put it in simple terms, if the changes are enough to get me thinking to eliminate/minimize stays with Marriott and more stays with the competition given I am a stockholder, what does that say for others who have no financial incentive for Marriott's success? (And that in turn makes me question keeping my investment in Marriott stock.)
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:59 pm

MR Points for Hawaiian Airlines Miles - going away??

I too am getting conflicting information regarding the Hawaii portion of the new program. Specifically, I noticed that Hawaiian Airlines is NOT listed in the new program points structure charts for either Airline Points or Air/Hotel Package Awards.

Does anyone know if MR points to HA miles is being discountined as of Jan 15? MR customer service reps give conflicting info.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.