Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
Because there has been a lot of confusion about the sampler reward I would like to take a step back and try to clarify some things which I think will help answer your questions. First, the Hawaiian, and UK/Ireland sampler rewards will be discontinued after the 15th. However, rewards issued prior to this change will be valid until their expiration date (one year from the date they are issued). Similarly these sampler rewards can be issued after the 15th if they are being issued to honor a reservation made before the 15th. If you are planning to use any reward on the current reward schedule but are waiting for points to post. Make your reservation now and then order the reward anytime before your stay.

If a travel package or sampler reward from the current schedule is issued after the 15th in order to honor a reservation made before the 15th. It will have a final expiration date on or near January 14, 2010. (We do not have the exact date yet but it will be in January of 2010)

For example: if I made a reservation for July 7, 2009 in November 2008 and I was planning to use a sampler reward or travel package, I could order the package or sampler in June of 2009 but the expiration date would still be January 2010.
For now, I have a couple of more questions, there's probably more to come later I am afraid.

1. So is it really, for sure true if I want to get 1 cat. 5 or 6 t.p. but don't have quite enough points for it by the 14th that I can still reserve the package without ordering it (i.e., having the airline miles transferred)? I previously thought everything had to be ordered by the 14th of Jan.

2. I have a diliemna. I want to get a London package for a stay in Oct. I have at least 2 properties in mind, one is and will be a cat. 7 the other is a cat. 7 and will be a cat. 8. In this case it seems you are saying that I've got to order it by the 14th, and stick with my one choice no matter what NO DATE CHANGES, NO HOTEL PROPERTY CHANGE, and you lose most of your points permanently if you can't stick exactly to a plan made in Jan. for late 2009). Is this right? If so, I think this is an unreasonably stringent restriction and I hope Marriott will reconsider. For example, at least letting me make the hotel reservations at both of the London properties and choosing which one I want to keep later.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by GrizShel
For now, I have a couple of more questions, there's probably more to come later I am afraid.

1. So is it really, for sure true if I want to get 1 cat. 5 or 6 t.p. but don't have quite enough points for it by the 14th that I can still reserve the package without ordering it (i.e., having the airline miles transferred)? I previously thought everything had to be ordered by the 14th of Jan.

2. I have a diliemna. I want to get a London package for a stay in Oct. I have at least 2 properties in mind, one is and will be a cat. 7 the other is a cat. 7 and will be a cat. 8. In this case it seems you are saying that I've got to order it by the 14th, and stick with my one choice no matter what NO DATE CHANGES, NO HOTEL PROPERTY CHANGE, and you lose most of your points permanently if you can't stick exactly to a plan made in Jan. for late 2009). Is this right? If so, I think this is an unreasonably stringent restriction and I hope Marriott will reconsider. For example, at least letting me make the hotel reservations at both of the London properties and choosing which one I want to keep later.
Actually you can. It is possible now to call Marriott, make dozens of different reservations without having the required points or without touching those in your account by telling that you already have a certificate (an European sampler for example). Then, as Ira stated you can issue a travel package or e-certificate later in 2009 at the old point structure to honor that reservation (I must confess that I am surprised that Marriott will allow this). So, basically, this results as flexible as it can be with the only limitation of how much you can travel in 2009. So, there will be tons of fake reservations made just in case...
Old Jan 10, 2009, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA,UA,HH,Marriott
Why am I so confused...still? I see questions about the miles/hotel/car travel packages, and then answers, talking about the "sampler packages". Are the rules the same? I have a Cat 6 travel package that is good until 1/10/10. Do I have to reserve the hotel now to avoid paying more points?
Old Jan 10, 2009, 7:33 pm

Programs: UAL, Marriott, Skymiles, AAdvantage, trueBlue, Starwood Preferred Guest, Hyatt,Leaders Club, Alaska
Thumbs up clarifying question regarding burning my points..

I have 340k points and want to burn them with a reservation before January 15th.

Here are my questions:
1. If I get two rooms for 5 nights in 2009, and then want to change the date to a different date in 09, do I have to start over using the new point structure?

2. Am I right in that I can go ahead and make multiple reservations, saying that I'll use my points, then pick and choose which dates I want to use them with..without an penalty?

Thank you!
Old Jan 10, 2009, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Jaybee
Why am I so confused...still? I see questions about the miles/hotel/car travel packages, and then answers, talking about the "sampler packages". Are the rules the same? I have a Cat 6 travel package that is good until 1/10/10. Do I have to reserve the hotel now to avoid paying more points?
So you redeemed this prize yesterday and it has a 1 year validity until it expires. The cat 6 certificate will be good at any cat 6 hotel so you don't have to make a booking now but you risk that your desired cat 6 hotel might be upgraded to cat 7 after Jan. 15. We do know which hotels will become cat 8 but there is no information if other hotels will change categories as well. It would be nice to hear about his from Marriott Concierge.

Last edited by frisbeeace; Jan 10, 2009 at 7:51 pm
Old Jan 10, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I booked a stay for September at the Marriott in PAris that will become a category 8. I don't have enough points in my account now, but will earn enough in the next few months or can transfer the points from my wife's account. Can I wait to get the reward certificate after Jan 15 or should I transfer the points and get it now.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Plat, HH Gold
thanks for keeping this thread up to date.

I'm looking forward to using my Europe Hopper awards in March!
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: MR Platinum Premier, HH Silver, National Exec Elite, USAirways Silver
Originally Posted by Renard
Hopefully the situation with the HI properties and their categories will stay that way...they way things are going, I'm not betting on it.
Plat Reservation Representative told me yesterday that this was NOT the case. I made a reservation at the Wailea Resort in Maui (ordered travel package before jan 14th) and inquired about changing the dates afterwards. Not only did he say that if I made changes afterwards (without an unordered reservation) that I would be charged the extra points but that the property would be changing to a Category 8! I did not realize this was unknown until another poster pointed this out to me. I'm hoping Marriott Concierge can chime in on this unlisted category change and either confirm or deny.

Just FYI
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:04 am

Folks,
Not having time to update the above summary of policies regarding the transitional period handling of travel packages and samplers now, I'm just going to direct you over to the original thread where marriott announced these changes, Marriott Concierge answers in the last day or so I find to be really helpful, start reading especially on page 34 of that thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...d-ugly-34.html

This is mainly coming down to, as far as I understand it, the fact that you need to have your reservations and backup reservations in place for travel packages by the 1/14/09; this is not necessary for the samplers you ordered. An interesting suggestion by Marriott Concierge in the above thread about another way to line up an Hawaiian sampler, get your reservations in place by the 14th, order afterwards (rather than the reverse; personally I would only do this if I did not have the points I needed yet.)
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:19 am

When must a travel package be "ATTACHED" to a reservation?

Wow - I never thought I could be so confused. This has probably been asked and answered and if so, I apologize. But I can't find this info anywhere and I'm starting to panic. Please feel free to point me to another post if needed.

FIRST: I ordered a Cat 7 travel package 3 days ago. The airline miles have posted to my FF account. I have made a reservation at the Wailea Marriott for end of March using the standard, 150k 7 night award (did this over the phone with the hotel's reservation clerk). However, the reservation listed on my Marriott account page simply says that I will need to order a certificate before the stay. Does this mean that the 7 night certificate portion of the travel package has not been "attached" to this reservation? If not, at what point (if ever) does it have to be "attached"? Or do I simply show up when I check in with the certificate in hand?

SECOND: To make things even more confusing, I may have to change my plans for Hawaii and use the certificate in Paris in mid March - where the hotel will be changing to Cat 8. As a backup, I made an online reservation at the Renaissance Vendome for a standard, 150k 7 night reservation. Again, my account simply states to be sure I order the certificate before my stay. Since this will become Cat 8, do I need to call before tomorrow to "attach" this reservation to the paper certificate. Or can I simply show up at the hotel with the Cat 7 certificate in hand and proof that my reservation was made before the 1/15 deadline? I'm getting nervous...

HELP!
Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:59 am

gogogo, part of the problem here is that the Marriott Rewards folks still have not completely worked out all of the details of their policy for what I'm calling now the transitional travel packages - booked under the old point system for use in 2009. Just yesterday a Marriott Rewards rep told me I had to order the package by today; totally contradictory to what Marriott Concierge and some other Marriott Rewards reps told me. I have been advised to make the res and backup res, then actually order (Have the points deducted) when I am sure as I can be of which hotel res I actually want to use.

I'm nervous also, but I've got to rely on what MC has told us. I think you are ok with your backup res in place, but you really need to wait to hear from them. Or try getting this reconfirmed by a supervisor in Marriott Rewards today. Note the time of your call and who you spoke to.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:43 am

The fact that the Marriott Rewards people don't even know the rules is what concerns me most. I get a different answer every time I call. At this point I think I'll just hope for the best.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:59 am
Suspended

GRIZSHEL OR ANYONE ELSE --

Let me repeat what I think Ira is telling us on this board and in PMs, and I ask for your critique of it.

First, I am only talking about the 7 night travel packages, not the hotel samplers.

As I understand it, we need only to make an old points reservation by tonight.

I am not even sure if we need to have the points in our account, but that is not a problem for me, as I have enough points. In fact, I have made two 7 night stay reservations over Christmas under the OLD point schedule for what will become Category 8 hotels.

Now, I think Ira is saying that is all we need to do right now.

At some later point we can then order an OLD Category 7 travel package (at less points than the new ones that come into force tomorrow) -- until what date in the future we must do this by is unfortunately left unsaid by Ira -- should we wish to utilize the reward reservation we have booked prior to 1/15/09.

Should we wish to utilize that reward reservation, we will be able to substitute in the hotel portion of the OLD travel package, and have the points holding that reservation under the old rates go back into my account (since I am holding the reservation with points) or not, if the MR member is allowed to hold the 7 night award booked under the old schedule without sufficient points.

If we do not wish to utilize the reservation, we need not order the Old travel Package and the points holding the reward reservation (or not, if permitted) will just go back into our account, like any cancelled hotel award reservation operates.

Is this correct, as you understand it?

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Jan 14, 2009 at 12:06 pm
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:30 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Originally Posted by gogogo
Wow - I never thought I could be so confused. This has probably been asked and answered and if so, I apologize. But I can't find this info anywhere and I'm starting to panic. Please feel free to point me to another post if needed.

FIRST: I ordered a Cat 7 travel package 3 days ago. The airline miles have posted to my FF account. I have made a reservation at the Wailea Marriott for end of March using the standard, 150k 7 night award (did this over the phone with the hotel's reservation clerk). However, the reservation listed on my Marriott account page simply says that I will need to order a certificate before the stay. Does this mean that the 7 night certificate portion of the travel package has not been "attached" to this reservation? If not, at what point (if ever) does it have to be "attached"? Or do I simply show up when I check in with the certificate in hand?

SECOND: To make things even more confusing, I may have to change my plans for Hawaii and use the certificate in Paris in mid March - where the hotel will be changing to Cat 8. As a backup, I made an online reservation at the Renaissance Vendome for a standard, 150k 7 night reservation. Again, my account simply states to be sure I order the certificate before my stay. Since this will become Cat 8, do I need to call before tomorrow to "attach" this reservation to the paper certificate. Or can I simply show up at the hotel with the Cat 7 certificate in hand and proof that my reservation was made before the 1/15 deadline? I'm getting nervous...

HELP!
You may want to contact guest service sometime before your stay and ask that they verify that the travel package is attached to your reservation. I can do this for you if you send me an email with you account and reservation information.

Your reservation for Paris sounds fine. As long as it was made for reward redemption before the 15th it does not matter when you order the reward, you are locked into the category 7 price.

Ira
Old Jan 14, 2009, 5:14 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
GRIZSHEL OR ANYONE ELSE --

Let me repeat what I think Ira is telling us on this board and in PMs, and I ask for your critique of it.

First, I am only talking about the 7 night travel packages, not the hotel samplers.

As I understand it, we need only to make an old points reservation by tonight.

I am not even sure if we need to have the points in our account, but that is not a problem for me, as I have enough points. In fact, I have made two 7 night stay reservations over Christmas under the OLD point schedule for what will become Category 8 hotels.

Now, I think Ira is saying that is all we need to do right now.

At some later point we can then order an OLD Category 7 travel package (at less points than the new ones that come into force tomorrow) -- until what date in the future we must do this by is unfortunately left unsaid by Ira -- should we wish to utilize the reward reservation we have booked prior to 1/15/09.

Should we wish to utilize that reward reservation, we will be able to substitute in the hotel portion of the OLD travel package, and have the points holding that reservation under the old rates go back into my account (since I am holding the reservation with points) or not, if the MR member is allowed to hold the 7 night award booked under the old schedule without sufficient points.

If we do not wish to utilize the reservation, we need not order the Old travel Package and the points holding the reward reservation (or not, if permitted) will just go back into our account, like any cancelled hotel award reservation operates.

Is this correct, as you understand it?
I pretty much agree with this but I want to give a little bit of my own explanation.

If you have already ordered the travel package you do not need to make the reservation tonight. Of course it is always best to make your reservation as soon as you know where and when you are staying, but the point is, if you have a travel package in your account it will be good for any reward redemption stay (matching the category of hotel the package is issued) regardless of if the reservation was made before or after the 15th.

Making the reservation tonight becomes important if you are planning to use the certificate at a hotel that is becoming a category 8, and it is also important if you do not have enough points in your account yet to order the reward. Booking the reservation tonight will make it possible for you to order the cheaper rewards anytime before your stay.

Ira

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.