Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
You have to call Marriott Reservations and ask them to reserve 8 consecutive days at the property. They can apply 7 nights to a standard award, and you can pay for the unavailable night.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Is there anyway around the consecutive rule.. I could do 10 night at the property no problem. It's the one night in the middle which is either double points or $450 + tax!
Old Sep 10, 2008, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by welookgood.com
Is there anyway around the consecutive rule.. I could do 10 night at the property no problem. It's the one night in the middle which is either double points or $450 + tax!
Not that I know of.

Hey, it's pretty good that they let you do that. If it were me, I'd spring for the 65K (are you sure about that number? I think the Stay Anytime awards are 2X the one night price, so if it's a cat 7 prop, you're looking at 70K), since on average it's only ~28K/night. For a $450/night hotel, that's pretty good.

Besides, as the date approaches, standard availability might open up.

As a last resort, you might try calling the hotel to see what they'll let you get away with.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:21 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Unfortunately, the stay must be contiguous nights to use a single award cert.

One thing you might try is to call the hotel GM and talk with her/him. A few years ago, I wanted to spend some nights at the Marriott Grand Hotel just outside of Mobile, AL. I couldn't get standard availability for all the nights I wanted to stay. I talked with the GM and he graciously offered to let me use my standard award cert for all the nights. ^ It doesn't hurt to ask.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Is there anyway to do 7 nights in 8 nights with the 7 night award?
YES - see below

As VA1379 already stated, but I will rephrase since I think you may have misunderstood his post.

You call Marriott Reservations and ask them to book 8 nights, 7 of which will be standard award nights. Give the CSR the hotel name, the dates of your stay, and also let them know the night that is NOT available as a standard award. Many CSRs are very adept at this, whereas others are not, so you may need to help them along by telling them you already checked availability and need them to book an 8 night stay that includes 7 award nights and 1 paid night. They can and will book a single reservation that includes a 7 award nights and 1 night paid. You will be given a single reservation number for this 8-night reservation. You can then have a standard award, or perhaps the hotel portion of a Travel Package, applied to the 7 standard award nights.

In order to use a 7 night award, you can use it for stays that include 7 award nights as long as the stay is contiguous at the same hotel. The award nights do not have to be consecutive. So you could use a 7 night award for the following 10 night stay:

Check-in
Mon - Award
Tue - Award
Wed - Paid
Thu - Award
Fri - Award
Sat - Paid
Sun - Paid
Mon - Award
Tue - Award
Wed – Award
Check-out

You could not use a 7 night award for the following stays as it is not a contiguous stay:

Check-in
Mon - Award
Tue - Award
Wed - Paid
Thu - Award
Fri - Award
Check-out

Check-in
Sun - Paid
Mon - Paid
Tue - Award
Wed - Award
Thu – Award
Check-out

Last edited by aaupgrade; Sep 10, 2008 at 9:50 pm
Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:55 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Where is the property located? What level Rewards member? What level hotel?

If you are Platinum, and the property is located in Florida, Hawaii, or Europe, you can use the Hotel Sampler award. You are issued three certificates, two for two nights and one for three nights, which can be used at the same hotel. These do not have to be used on consecutive nights.

If you're not Platinum, I'd still call the rewards line and see if they might let you do this. The points for Hawaii and Europe are the same as seven nights in a Level 7, Florida is equal to Level 6.

So if you're a Platinum Rewards member looking for a Level 7 hotel in Europe or Hawaii, this would be a solution. If you're a Silver looking for a week in Altoona, this doesn't do anything for you!
Old Nov 20, 2008, 6:31 pm

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I guess I will find that out in July as I requested two Travel Packages for two award rooms for 6 nights each. It would be great if I could get some points back from not staying that 7th night. But I'm not expecting any.
I am looking into booking a travel package and could only get a 6 night stay at a popular hotel. How did the 6 days stay on a 7 day travel package work out? I guess getting points back is at the discretion of each hotel. Were there any other issues with using a longer certificate for a shorter stay (such as Marriott not recognizing that a 7 night cert is to be applied to a 6 day stay)?
Old Nov 21, 2008, 5:28 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
No luck getting any points back. I just lost the last night of the packages. And I haven't seen or heard anything that changes my previously stated views that the TP 7-night award cert is the treated exactly the same as any other standard 7-night award.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Trang
Hi,
Is there a fee to renew the certificate? and how many times can you renew this certificate?
Thanks
Trang
Hi . has anyone got an awnser to the above ?? It is just the question I was about to ask and found this on a search.

Cheers.

Jchand
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:55 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
No fee to renew/extend. I still have a cert from 2006 that I have extended now twice (up and downgraded it) and will do so again before the new redemption rates kick in.

Last edited by jamflyer; Nov 23, 2008 at 4:20 pm
Old Nov 23, 2008, 2:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
Be aware that Marriott Concierge has posted that certificates paid for under the current rules will NOT be extended from January 15th 2009.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 3:03 am

Ok Guys thanks.

So if I get a cat 6 Cert on 10th Jan 2009 I will have to use it by 10 th Jan 2010.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
Darn that's a shame. I am about to purchase a 7 Days + Miles redemption and would be good to just hang on to the voucher till I can make full use of it.

This may not be the best place to ask but I have 250k points and not sure if I should go for 100k Virgin Miles/SQ Miles and Cat 7 or 120k miles and Cat 6. Is there much difference in the accomodation Cat 6 to 7 as never redeemed any o fmy points before.

Rich
Old Nov 24, 2008, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by TOMSURFER
Be aware that Marriott Concierge has posted that certificates paid for under the current rules will NOT be extended from January 15th 2009.
I hadn't seen that. My understanding was that a Cat 7 travel package could still be extended, however, you would need to upgrade it to a Cat 8 travel package after Jan 15, 2009 using the current Category differences if you wanted to stay at one of those properties that went up a notch (NYC & London properties, etc).

You are probably right. Any link would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
You are probably right. Any link would be greatly appreciated.
As stated above, after January 14, 2009, you will no longer be able to extend Travel Package hotel certificates obtained under the current rules.

See Marriott Concierge's post #167 in the long thread about the forthcoming changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.