Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2008, 2:51 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Based on the changes Marriott made to their system last year, my understanding is that if you cancel a reservation that has a cert award attached, the award cert will be automatically redeposited back into your points balance. For an award cert received through a Travel Package you will NOT get the full award cert value. I think the amount is around 35K for a Cat. 6. (I may be off 5K or so as I have never actually returned a Travel Package hotel cert. A search should bring up what the exact amounts are.)

The way around this issue is to create a "dummy" reservation for a hotel and have Marriott attach your award cert to that "dummy" reservation, then cancel your original reservation. Once you decide on what you really want to use the Travel Package hotel cert, you can then call Marriott back and have them attach the award cert to that reservation. You can then cancel your "dummy" reservation.

Its a pain, but it should work.

Yes, you can use a 7 day cert for an 8 day stay. Your stay has to be contiguous nights, but Standard Award availability does not.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Northern Traveler
This is a great deal to exchange MR points for AA miles 1:1 is a steal. I have use this twice and we fly FS for 60K each.
Is this deal is ON? DO you have a link to it? I've checked the MR site to no avail. Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 3:05 pm

I'm not sure I understand your question. But I think you are asking if the 1:1 points to miles Travel Package awards are still available. The answer to that question is Yes. You can find the details at Hotel + Air Travel Packages.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 3:12 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Is this deal is ON? DO you have a link to it? I've checked the MR site to no avail. Thanks.
This whole thread has been about Hotel+Air Travel Packages including Northern Traveler's post. You get 1:1 when cashing in points for a Hotel+Air Travel Package's. Here is the link.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 3:21 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I understand now about your Hilton scenario. If I ever have a need to stay at a Hilton I will keep it in mind.

Originally Posted by welookgood.com
Not to hijack thread but what happens if u do hotel & air and cancel the hotel due to plan changes. Can you use the cert on something else?
Yes. But as already stated you have to jump thorugh some hoops to do it right now. Marriott Concierge (Chris), the official Marriott lurker here on FT has told us that they will be fixing the underlying problem. This problem came about with the October 2007 downgrade of their reservation system and Marriott.com. The underlying problem is that you can't cash in an award without having a hotel reservation associated with it, hence the reason for making a dummy reservation to hold the Hotel portion of a Hotel+Air Travel Package.

Also can you use a 7 night hotel cert over 8 nights (6 night reward, 1 paid night, final night reward)
Yes, although since October 2007 you now have to go through an agent to make your reservations.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 3:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Wondering how much value my idea has as a good use of pts?

7 nights at cat 5 + 120kmiles = 235k
Take 90k of the miles and convert the miles to hhonors pts for an aloha award
7 nights at Cat 5 (Cancun), 6 nights in Hawaii Hilton + 30k airlines award (R/T Airfare to Cancun) for 235k.

How much exactly is
7 nights of Cancun = $1000
6 nights of Hawaii = $800
30k airline award $400

Worth?

Would it be $2000 and a good use of pts?
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Not saying stay at Marriott to get Hilton pts. However if the air + hotel awards basically are add 1 marriott pt for 1 airline mile then there is a benefit

1. 1 Marriot Pt becomes 1 Airline Mile Becomes 2 Hilton Pts. Using a 175k Aloha 6 night Aloha award u get a 6 night hawaii award for 87.5k Marriott Pts, a savings of 120k pts of a normal Marriott 6 night Hawaii award.

2. Everyone eventually needs to use a Hilton or Starwood when Marriotts are unavailable or perhaps where a friend's wedding is. In this case, you can use those spare pts along with converted pts to get a nice award.
Interesting...I wasn't aware you could do this...can you do the opposite? I am long on HH points, and would prefer marriott points...any way to convert them?
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:06 pm

Not that I know of.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 1:36 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JoeBagodonuts
generally speaking, is this the best value using MR points?
I agree 1000% with all the strong positives for the 7 night package award.

Just want to add that it can be a fantastic way to help get you to AA 1 or 2 million mile status--which gives lifelong Gold and Platinum Elite status respectively.

Plus I find AA miles the easiest to redeem bar none even before I earned status on AA--and I have been UA 1K and CO Platinum---which do not hold a candle to AA in terms of ease of mileage redemption (especially CO).
Old Jan 21, 2008, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Plat, HH Gold
Question travel package hotel portion used for multiple rooms?

Hi, I'm a long-time lurker (many years), but recent member. I know about redeeming for the travel package and getting the 7-night hotel stay. Anyone ever had success in trying to use the 7 night ecert to book 2 rooms? 1 for 3 nights, 1 for 4 nights? We're going on a family vacation and will need 3 or 4 rooms, but probably will only be staying 5 nights at this location.

thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2008, 4:44 pm

I think the answer is no but I would love to be wrong on this. I tend to stay in a place for 2-3 days most of the time and being able to get 2 rooms for 3 days would be great. Let us know what you find out.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingJoel
Hi, I'm a long-time lurker (many years), but recent member. I know about redeeming for the travel package and getting the 7-night hotel stay. Anyone ever had success in trying to use the 7 night ecert to book 2 rooms? 1 for 3 nights, 1 for 4 nights? We're going on a family vacation and will need 3 or 4 rooms, but probably will only be staying 5 nights at this location.

thanks!
Welcome to FT

Sorry but the answer would be no
Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:11 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
I've never seen this question asked before here and I don't read the rules as explicitly covering the issue. To those who assured the OP that the answer is no, what do you base this on? I'm not saying you're wrong; I just don't know.

Absent a definitive answer, the OP should either post a question specifically to Chris or e-mail the question to Marriott Rewards.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Plat, HH Gold
FWIW, I did a search on FT and didn't come up with much... but then again, there are a TON of threads/posts about how wonderful the travel packages are, and that they are the only way to redeem points, blah blah blah... hence this thread.

Besides, I see all the time on FT advice on how people "bend" the stated rules, with full understanding that it won't always work, be ready for the consequences, and all that. I'm just trying to see if anyone has actually tried to do this and has some advice. Even better if they were successful, but the last thing I want to do is make a misstep... I have some time, as the trip isn't until August.

The actual situation would be to try to use two 7-night awards for 3 rooms for 5 nights (paying the one extra night).

thanks
Old Jan 22, 2008, 6:29 pm

Here is the applicable T&C text: "A Reward Certificate is good for one consecutive stay, for one standard room only, as shown on the certificate." This text can be found at Marriott Rewards Terms & Conditions. Look at rule #9.

I read this to mean that each Reward Cert is good for one room only and only good for a consecutive stay. (Note that this does NOT say that the award nights have to be consecutive. It only states that the "stay" has to be consecutive. IOW, one could have a 10 night stay where nights 5, 6, and 7 had no standard award availability, but the other nights 1-4 and 8-10 could use one 7 night cert.) Should someone want to get 2 rooms one for 4 nights and one for 3 nights, you would have to order a 3 night award cert and a 4 night award cert. A single 7 night will not meet the T&C rules shown above.

Now does this mean that there are absolutely no GMs out there that might "bend" the rules for someone especially a known, frequent customer of their hotel? Possibly. I'm sure they have "bent" rules before, but I wouldn't count on too many bending this rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.