Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2008, 1:09 am

Programs: More than I care to have, but never the ones I need.
I agree that these travel packages are by FAR the best deal with MR.

Mr. Vker:
Were you able to get Marriott to transfer more than 120k points to the airline of your choice - or did you already have a lot of points at the airline of your choice? Two international F seats surely took more than 120K FF points.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 2:54 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I think Mr. Vker transferred 120,000 miles with each package. Since he redeemed two packages, he was able to receive 240,000 miles. You are not able to redeem more than 120,000 miles for a travel package (regarding the miles in which most major American carriers participate in).
Old Jan 4, 2008, 5:49 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JoeBagodonuts
generally speaking, is this the best value using MR points?
YES! ^

I earn 18 points per dollar spent at FS Marriott properties (10 + 3 Plat Bonus + 5 MR VISA). So when I use a Hotel+Air Travel Package I effectively get 18 airline MILES of my choice per dollar spent. I don't think you can find a better earning ratio ANYWHERE. So really the answer would be YES, this is the best value for any points or mile earning of ANY program. JMHO, well maybe not so humble.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 7:10 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VA1379
You are not able to redeem more than 120,000 miles for a travel package (regarding the miles in which most major American carriers participate in).
VA1379 is correct, but I want to add that sometimes Marriott and a specific airline partner will have 'bonus' points added to the transfers. I think that there is a 10% bonus (so upto and extra 12K miles) for transfers into AA miles right now. I made use of that one for a Travel Package award last year and recieved 132K miles instead of the normal 120K. I think that there was a BA bonus a year or two ago as well (that one may have been a 20% bonus.)

I do believe there are some here that try to wait until Marriott has one of these bonuses before they order the award. The problem with that is that there is no 'official' time schedule for them or any real indication of which airline's program that Marriott will have a bonus for. So those persons use history, guessing, and just plain waiting.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I do believe there are some here that try to wait until Marriott has one of these bonuses before they order the award. The problem with that is that there is no 'official' time schedule for them or any real indication of which airline's program that Marriott will have a bonus for. So those persons use history, guessing, and just plain waiting.
Yes, but you can always get a regular 7-night award and then if a Airline miles bonus comes around you want to take advantage of before your stay, you can exchange the 7-night award for a hotel+air travel package. That is what I did a couple weeks ago for my stay that starts this Saturday.

Or another reason to make award reservations through an agent and not have the points deducted.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Jan 4, 2008 at 8:36 am
Old Jan 4, 2008, 2:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by shaunco
I agree that these travel packages are by FAR the best deal with MR.

Mr. Vker:
Were you able to get Marriott to transfer more than 120k points to the airline of your choice - or did you already have a lot of points at the airline of your choice? Two international F seats surely took more than 120K FF points.
We cashed in as follows:

1) Cat 6 Hotel (7 night cert) plus 120,000 AA miles for 250,000 points
2) cat 7 hotel (7 night cert) plus 120,000 AA miles for 270,000 points

We had the other 30K miles already on AA. That equalled the entire 270k miles needed.

The plane tickets are worth approx $28000.00 not including the (2) 7 night stays.

We leave in just 5 weeks. ^^
Old Jan 4, 2008, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The TP's are the main reason I do my hotel stays at Marriott. I'm about to cash another one. I'm on the fence about switching to Starwood for 2008 (reasons unrelated to the points or awards themselves), and if I do I will definitely miss the TP's. Starwood's version of the TP (Nights and Flights) is actually a weaker award than a straight 5-night Starwood award.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
We cashed in as follows:

1) Cat 6 Hotel (7 night cert) plus 120,000 AA miles for 250,000 points
2) cat 7 hotel (7 night cert) plus 120,000 AA miles for 270,000 points

We had the other 30K miles already on AA. That equalled the entire 270k miles needed.

The plane tickets are worth approx $28000.00 not including the (2) 7 night stays.

We leave in just 5 weeks. ^^
I thought I would add that we choose AA for these transactions. They have very easy online look up of award availability. They allow you to hold those tickets for 2 weeks before transferring miles. This allows us to have the reservations in hand before committing our Marriott points to AA miles.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 7:59 am

What a great deal...was wondering what I should do with all my points. Since the miles do not need to be used in conjunction with the stay, it is essentially a way to just get a 7-night certificate? We may just want to bank the miles and use the certificate in Hawaii...would that work? Also, is it just AA that the miles can be transferred to?
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:27 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by subdawg
What a great deal...was wondering what I should do with all my points. Since the miles do not need to be used in conjunction with the stay, it is essentially a way to just get a 7-night certificate? We may just want to bank the miles and use the certificate in Hawaii...would that work? Also, is it just AA that the miles can be transferred to?

Any airline partner. I have mine credited to CO. I have a gazillion miles in both programs, but seems I like to "dump" them into the ff mile program as its easy to do!

Also, as an elite (all levels, IIRC) they will do "expedited" transfers, getting them to the airline in about 2 days!

This has worked well for about 7 packages so far. ONLY problem is they are NOT LINKING the stay certs to the hotel you have reserved, and THIS WILL be a problem to come. See the post on the HI Hotel Sampler.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Why are hotel + air miles such a good deal?

7 nights at cat 5 = 115 pts
7 nights at cat 5 + 120k miles = 235k

so basically 120k marriot pts = 120k miles
7 (additional night at cat 5) = 5 US Flights or 2 Flights to Europe?

If u assume you can get each cat 5 night at $200 is the 120k miles worth $1400?

Though another thought:

7 nights at cat 5 + 120k = 235k
Take 90k and convert the miles to hhonors pts for an aloha award
7 nights at Cat 5, 6 nights in Hawaii Hilton + 30k airlines award for 235k.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by welookgood.com
Why are hotel + air miles such a good deal?
The reason they are such a good deal is for the miles exchange rate, which IMO can't be beat. Using the hotel+air package means, as you ahve shown, that you get 1 airline mile for each Marriott Reward point. And since in my case I earn 18 Marriott Reward points per dollar spent at Marriotts, that means I am getting airlines miles at the rate of 18 miles per dollar spent. IMO, a great deal by any measure.

Originally Posted by welookgood.com
If u assume you can get each cat 5 night at $200 is the 120k miles worth $1400?
Definitely not at 1.17¢ per point would be a waste of points IMO. Now 7 nights in Paris at a Cat 7 for 150000 which would normally go for $5950 is worth it at 3.97¢ per point.

Right now I am staying at a Cat 6 for 3 weeks for 390000. If I had paid for it, it would have cost $10500. comes out to 2.69¢ per point. So the hotel awards work for me, but I am a bit choosy as to where I use them. But that's just me.

Now if the hotel+air packages don't work for you, then there are always other hotel frequent stay programs you can choose from. Most everybody who does use them sees them as a great value.

Regarding the Hilton exchange thing, why would you stay at Marriotts to get Hilton points? If you wanted Hilton points, then stay at Hiltons. Personally that's not something I would consider as Hiltons don't exist in destinations I frequent.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, AAdvantage Platinum (1MM Lifetime Gold), Avis First
This is a great deal to exchange MR points for AA miles 1:1 is a steal. I have use this twice and we fly FS for 60K each.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 1:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
The reason they are such a good deal is for the miles exchange rate, which IMO can't be beat. Using the hotel+air package means, as you ahve shown, that you get 1 airline mile for each Marriott Reward point. And since in my case I earn 18 Marriott Reward points per dollar spent at Marriotts, that means I am getting airlines miles at the rate of 18 miles per dollar spent. IMO, a great deal by any measure.

Definitely not at 1.17¢ per point would be a waste of points IMO. Now 7 nights in Paris at a Cat 7 for 150000 which would normally go for $5950 is worth it at 3.97¢ per point.

Right now I am staying at a Cat 6 for 3 weeks for 390000. If I had paid for it, it would have cost $10500. comes out to 2.69¢ per point. So the hotel awards work for me, but I am a bit choosy as to where I use them. But that's just me.

Now if the hotel+air packages don't work for you, then there are always other hotel frequent stay programs you can choose from. Most everybody who does use them sees them as a great value.

Regarding the Hilton exchange thing, why would you stay at Marriotts to get Hilton points? If you wanted Hilton points, then stay at Hiltons. Personally that's not something I would consider as Hiltons don't exist in destinations I frequent.

Not saying stay at Marriott to get Hilton pts. However if the air + hotel awards basically are add 1 marriott pt for 1 airline mile then there is a benefit

1. 1 Marriot Pt becomes 1 Airline Mile Becomes 2 Hilton Pts. Using a 175k Aloha 6 night Aloha award u get a 6 night hawaii award for 87.5k Marriott Pts, a savings of 120k pts of a normal Marriott 6 night Hawaii award.

2. Everyone eventually needs to use a Hilton or Starwood when Marriotts are unavailable or perhaps where a friend's wedding is. In this case, you can use those spare pts along with converted pts to get a nice award.

Last edited by welookgood.com; Jan 6, 2008 at 1:31 pm
Old Jan 6, 2008, 2:35 pm

Not to hijack thread but what happens if u do hotel & air and cancel the hotel due to plan changes. Can you use the cert on something else?

Also can you use a 7 night hotel cert over 8 nights (6 night reward, 1 paid night, final night reward)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.