Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:53 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by philemer
aa.com said the current 20% bonus ends today, 11/14. https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...tt-rewards.jsp
Originally Posted by spgplat21
Is it true that these can only be booked over the phone and the phone center closes at 7pm?!?!

Edit: I ended up calling the Japanese call center since it was still open, but hopefully there is a better way I'm not aware of. I tried twitter too, but didn't get a response from Marriott Rewards.
It's already November 15 in Japan. I hope this works out for you.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:01 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by nsx
It's already November 15 in Japan. I hope this works out for you.
The AA terms are pretty specific and mention 11:59pm CT November 14, so I should be OK.

But I won't feel totally safe until I see those bonus points hit.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
Just booked the 270K package for 152k UA miles ^_^

Cert issued instantly, they said points will be transferred in 1-3 days. I never fly Southwest and don't have a companion so I skipped the CP, and am pretty excited to use these UA miles for somewhere cool.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 11:23 am

Never mind. thought the website was already showing the bonus.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:00 pm
kkl

Originally Posted by Rowyourboat
Just booked the 270K package for 152k UA miles ^_^

Cert issued instantly, they said points will be transferred in 1-3 days. I never fly Southwest and don't have a companion so I skipped the CP, and am pretty excited to use these UA miles for somewhere cool.
Did the UA 20% bonus post instantly? I'm bout the initiate a transfer in a couple of days
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Already has cert in account but the site not recognizes it?

Ordered the Cat6 package yesterday morning.

Now went to make a booking to use the cert.

However the Marriott site does not recognize there is already an existing cert to be used. Instead it told me how much more pts needed for the reservation I want to make.

Also there is no button next to the cert that I think I have seen in the past that if you want to use the cert to make a booking you can click it.

IIRC if you have a cert existing, the site would ask you whether you want to use the cert (that is from the certs earned from Megabonus as well as the credit card free night cert experiences).

So you have to call Marriott again to make the hotel booking?!
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by kkl
Did the UA 20% bonus post instantly? I'm bout the initiate a transfer in a couple of days
Still waiting for mine and I ordered in October.

According to terms should be in January.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Ordered the Cat6 package yesterday morning.

Now went to make a booking to use the cert.

However the Marriott site does not recognize there is already an existing cert to be used. Instead it told me how much more pts needed for the reservation I want to make.

Also there is no button next to the cert that I think I have seen in the past that if you want to use the cert to make a booking you can click it.

IIRC if you have a cert existing, the site would ask you whether you want to use the cert (that is from the certs earned from Megabonus as well as the credit card free night cert experiences).

So you have to call Marriott again to make the hotel booking?!
Just make the reservation yourself and message them asking for help in swapping in the certificate. Yes, it is a pain to not be able to do it yourself, but it is relatively easy.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Want to redeem the package and use Alaska Airlines.

Has anyone done AS transfer? How long it normally takes?

Ask the question because I believe AS posts miles in a batch processing mode, (similar to SPG), and I want to pick the optimal window to redeem the package so I do not need to keep monitoring it for weeks.
Originally Posted by nsx
Requested Monday, posted the following Wednesday (2 days ago).
You mean a total of 10 business days?

The Marriott rep said for AS it would take a week. However DPs from SPG forum it usually took just 2 days.

Redeemed on 11/14 2pm (time stamp of the confirmation email).

No miles in AS account yet on 11/16 morning.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 16, 2016 at 9:01 am
Old Nov 16, 2016, 8:18 am
kkl

just did the UA redemption. cert posted instantly in my acc
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:22 pm

Question Marriott Travel Package to CP strategy

**Please note that I'm fairly new to all of this, so I'll apologize in advance, for too much or too little info and too many and/or dumb question!**

Got my CP for 2016-2017 in early 2016 thanks to Chase Southwest credit cards. I've been trying to put together a strategy to get it again in early 2018. I need to have bonuses to accomplish this.

A few facts
- My debt to credit ratio for revolving credit is about 5% and I have about $45,000 in available credit (I have no idea if this is a lot or not!)
- My average account age is only 4 years
-Originally, I applied for the Marriott Rewards Card for the 80K +7500 offer, but was declined because I am over 5/24. After more research, I applied for the SPG personal and business cards and received them over the last couple of weeks. Using my credit card to pay all bills that I can (excluding loans and mortgage), I average about $2000 spend a month on a credit card. If I were to pay loans and mortgage on the credit card, it would be about another $1500 a month (which I think would be about $37.50 in fees at 2.5%). I will be at 4/24 after May 2017.

So, here are my questions.

1. I was receiving targeted mail offers for 100K MR for Amex but have always just thrown them away because I was not aware of how they could get me to the CP. Will I still receive them now that I have Amex accounts? If so, what is the likelyhood of being approved for another Amex card (the 2 I have both have $10,000 limits).

2. If I were going to apply for Chase Marriott Reward visa in June, should I just forego the personal card and go straight for the business card to keep it off of my credit report (knowing that I'll be back to Chase Southwest in late 2019 for the sign-up bonuses)?

2a. I see a lot of posts about moving credit around on Chase cards and am wondering if this is something that I might need to do. Currently, I have an Chase Amazon reward visa from 2012 ($2200 limit), a SW Premier Personal ($5500 limit), a SW Plus Personal ($5500 limit) and a SW Premier Business ($10,000 limit). I also have a car loan with Chase. I am planning to close the SW personal cards and keep the business card in case I ever need to use the convenience check at 0% interest option.

3. I am worried about the SPG/Marriott merger affecting the travel packages, but indications seem to be that no changes will be made until 2018 regarding them. If they are still available, would I be able to cash in my points for a travel package with the SW points on 12/31 and have them post to Southwest a few days later in 2018?

4. Are there very obvious things that I'm missing?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by LADFLY
Got my CP for 2016-2017 in early 2016 thanks to Chase Southwest credit cards. I've been trying to put together a strategy to get it again in early 2018. I need to have bonuses to accomplish this.

2. If I were going to apply for Chase Marriott Reward visa in June, should I just forego the personal card and go straight for the business card to keep it off of my credit report (knowing that I'll be back to Chase Southwest in late 2019 for the sign-up bonuses)?

2. CHASE business cards count towards 5/24 but you won't get denied for cards not covered under 5/24 (Hyatt, IHG, Marriott Business, etc) based solely on being over 5/24.........If you haven't had the Marriott BUSINESS signup bonus in the past 24 months ( I would give it 25 to be safe) you can apply for the Business card today.

If you got CP via credit card signups for 2016/17 you ( if the rules don't change and you are at 3/24 or lower come 2018) can go back for those cards 24 months after the bonus posted so in early to mid 2018 you could get the SW cards again and have 104K points towards CP for 2018/19.

Last edited by flyer4512; Nov 17, 2016 at 7:41 pm
Old Nov 18, 2016, 7:48 pm

From the Wiki

"If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension."

I was wondering if anyone who has actually extended the certificate could tell me how it went.

Thanks
Old Nov 18, 2016, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Exclamation

I have extended many times. Works exactly as advertised. Call Marriott rewards as close to the one year anniversary without going over a year. Ask for it to be extended. They extend it for one year from the day you call in.

Just that easy. Then I book and use the extended certificate within the year. I have never tried to extend it twice and would expect to hear a no if I asked.

Billy
Old Nov 18, 2016, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Delta3MM
I have extended many times. Works exactly as advertised. Call Marriott rewards as close to the one year anniversary without going over a year. Ask for it to be extended. They extend it for one year from the day you call in.

Just that easy. Then I book and use the extended certificate within the year. I have never tried to extend it twice and would expect to hear a no if I asked.

Billy
Perfect, thanks. I am just throwing around ideas to get CP for 2018/19 ( should the CC route not work and TP route does) and I don't have any use for the 7 night stay until April of the following year so I wouldn't even have to cut the extension close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.