Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2016, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by CJKatl
You get two separate rewards: The airline points go into your existing airline frequent flyer account and you get a certificate for a seven (or five, if you can get it) night stay. You don't have to use them together. You could use the points to fly to Juneau in January and the hotel cert to stay in Mayfair in May. You don't need to commit to actual locations, but you need to use the cert within a year. In other words, when you order the travel package, you just say, "I want a travel package." You get the cert and the frequent flyer points, but neither is tied to a location.
And I've read the hotel cert. can be extended for another 12 months w/o an issue.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Transfer to AS - anyone has experience?

Want to redeem the package and use Alaska Airlines.

Has anyone done AS transfer? How long it normally takes?

Ask the question because I believe AS posts miles in a batch processing mode, (similar to SPG), and I want to pick the optimal window to redeem the package so I do not need to keep monitoring it for weeks.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 3:29 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Happy
Want to redeem the package and use Alaska Airlines.

Has anyone done AS transfer? How long it normally takes?

Ask the question because I believe AS posts miles in a batch processing mode, (similar to SPG), and I want to pick the optimal window to redeem the package so I do not need to keep monitoring it for weeks.
Requested Monday, posted the following Wednesday (2 days ago).
Old Nov 11, 2016, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
Requested Monday, posted the following Wednesday (2 days ago).
Thank You for the DP!
Old Nov 11, 2016, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeavenlyJane
Interested in the same question with regards to Southwest points. I want to purchase a 7 Nights + 120,000 Rapid Reward Points package in January 2017 to snag the SW Companion Pass. How quickly can I expect the SW points to appear and thus qualify.

We have SW flights in late January and early February that I'd like to rebook as a companion fare. Any chance of that happening?
If it were me, I'd start the process on 12/31 1/2/17 so the pts/miles don't accidentally in 2016. They have to post in Jan. 2017 so you ca get 23.5 months to use the PASS. Any Data pts for SWA? Can't imagine it would take more than a week though.

Check the SWA forum because they have a thread on this topic.

Last edited by philemer; Nov 12, 2016 at 12:18 pm Reason: strike out bad suggestion-thanks nsx
Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alc
Originally Posted by CJKatl
If you go to the Marriott Travel Package page on the Website, the United Bonus is included in the RewardsPlus chart at the top of the page. Other airline redemptions are in the charts below that.
Looks like the bonus for the Travel Package, with UA, only gives a 10% bonus miles. The 25% bonus is for a straight points>miles transfer. Anyone see it differently?

See: https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/
Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philemer
Looks like the bonus for the Travel Package, with UA, only gives a 10% bonus miles. The 25% bonus is for a straight points>miles transfer. Anyone see it differently?

See: https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/
When the points transferred to UA, it is no difference from the straight point transfer. Though you DO need to register for the 20% bonus transfer. Problem I see is, the site does not produce a confirmation email after you registered. Also you could return to register again as if you have never done so before. In most programs when a promotion requires registration, one would get a confirmation email. Or at least one could not registered again once one has done so - the site would tell you "our records show you have already registered." Not so with the RewardPlus registration page. This is very troublesome to me. Though it is a moot point now because upon evaluating many factors including award charts and availability, our points will go to Alaska airlines instead - much cheaper chart than UA, so the additional of UA bonus does not offset the much higher costs UA charges for our travel needs.

Read upthread, there are DPs on previous similar promotion. The ordinary 10% posted right away while the additional 20% posted 6 to 8 weeks later - just like this current one, the additional will be posted before Jan 31st.
Can't see how this time would be any different.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 9:13 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Exclamation

If it were me, I'd start the process on 12/31 so the pts/miles don't accidentally in 2016. They have to post in Jan. 2017 so you ca get 23.5 months to use the PASS. Any Data pts for SWA? Can't imagine it would take more than a week though.

Check the SWA forum because they have a thread on this topic.
If you request the Travel Package before January 1 it will count toward your 2016 Companion Pass count. Wait until January 2 to call!
Old Nov 12, 2016, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The online order function is Disabled?

I thought you could redeem the Travel Package online since this year as when you click the View it seems you could order online.

However now even you have enough points in your account, you could not proceed to redeem online? And must call?

Would much prefer to redeem online so the FF number can be copy/paste thus prevent human error made by rep as someone's transfer to UA was hung up for week due to the rep mistyped the number, yet nobody ever thought to check that but just pointing fingers between Marriott and UA.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:12 pm

Not possible online, need to call.

They have a record of previous FFP numbers used, you just have to reconfirm.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 5:03 pm

Redeem Travel Package for Friend

Hi every expert

Can my friend and I redeem travel package together?

And let he get 7 free night. While I get those miles at my FFT account?

Last edited by Eric6464; Nov 12, 2016 at 6:17 pm
Old Nov 12, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Who owns the points? I am pretty sure the FF miles can only go to an account that is in the same name as the MR account owner. Anyone can use the seven night certificate. If you need to combine points for the TP, Marriott allows that-but I think a max of 50k points/year. Hope that helps.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:37 pm

Any speculation as to when SPG will permit the Marriott certificates from this package to be redeemed for SPG hotels??
Old Nov 12, 2016, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by accrue450
Any speculation as to when SPG will permit the Marriott certificates from this package to be redeemed for SPG hotels??
2018, after the 'merger' is complete. JMHO-but, hey, you asked.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
2018, after the 'merger' is complete. JMHO-but, hey, you asked.
That's assuming Marriott continues w/ the travel packages. We don't know yet.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.