Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 5:57 pm

@Brendan @SkiAdcock Thanks. Resolved in my favor.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 11:17 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by rthib
With SWA, Companion Pass is good for year earned and following year. So if you do travel package in Jan 2017, CP is good for 2017 and 2018. If you did in Dec, it is good for 2016 and 2017.
Thanks you beat me to it.. haha.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
I have a cat 1-5 certificate thanks for the travel package award. I also have a cat 8 award reservation being hold without paying the points (asking me to attach ecert to it).

I understand that I have to pay the point difference (90k) in order to use my cat 1-5 cert on my cat 8 reservation. So I called the CSR for that. After the end of the call, the cert were used and the reservation is now confirmed. The only question is, the CSR didn't deduct my extra points for that cat 8 reservation.

I would like to see myself lucky but still want to ask for the opinion. Should I be concerned about the reservation?

Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by cchuang1980
I would like to see myself lucky but still want to ask for the opinion. Should I be concerned about the reservation?
I would say yes, unfortunately. The property could very well see that a Cat 1-5 cert is applied to the reservation and tell MR that there is an improper reservation for their hotel's reward category. I'm definitely interested in the opinions of some of our more seasoned travelers/posters here too, though.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, US Gold
We are considering getting two TPs in order to get Southwest CPs. I anticipate using the CPs for flights with my wife as well as flights with my wife and four kids (oldest is 13).

Ideally I'd like to have one of the CPs in my name with my wife as the companion and one CP in a kid's name with another kid as the companion.

In order to do that I assume one of the TPs would have to be attached to one of my kid's MR account so the miles transfer to his/her Southwest account?

Any potential problem with having the Marriott cert in my kids account for use for a family stay?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Glad to see the packages can be used towards hotels 'on hold'. Have a Cat 6 that I am about to burn a package on, but am still undecided on which program to dump the miles into. Have quite a few AS so really don't need them there. And I'd like to use them for international premium cabin redemption but am split on which partner...
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Just for the amount of miles UA seems to be the best choice. Anything else depends on where yu like to travel and airline you would use. I like AA especially for traveling on QR EY...missed the bonus window Nov 30
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:54 am

Has anyone had any recent success booking a 5 night travel package?

I've tried 5 times over the past couple of days and have not had any luck with an agent. In the past, almost always got it done on the first call, maybe 2 calls if I was unlucky
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by the hotel bar
Has anyone had any recent success booking a 5 night travel package?

I've tried 5 times over the past couple of days and have not had any luck with an agent. In the past, almost always got it done on the first call, maybe 2 calls if I was unlucky
How long ago was "in the past"?

Also, I'm assuming you're not a timeshare owner, right?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:03 am

Last edited by Colin; Dec 30, 2016 at 10:28 am
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:06 am

Any ideas?

I wanted to get Cat 9 Package and get SWA miles. My hope was to get the companion pass which you have to earn in 2017 in order to get maximum use. My stay is going to end January 3rd and I was hoping to use the Free week. Any idea on how I could use the Cat 9 Vacation week and have the SWA miles hit in 2017?

My travel dates are Dec 27th through the 3rd of January. Will They allow me to submit the voucher by the end of the trip!??!
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: Southwest
Originally Posted by bubba99
We are considering getting two TPs in order to get Southwest CPs. I anticipate using the CPs for flights with my wife as well as flights with my wife and four kids (oldest is 13).

Ideally I'd like to have one of the CPs in my name with my wife as the companion and one CP in a kid's name with another kid as the companion.

In order to do that I assume one of the TPs would have to be attached to one of my kid's MR account so the miles transfer to his/her Southwest account?

Any potential problem with having the Marriott cert in my kids account for use for a family stay?
That's a great question. I'm in the same situation and was planning on just getting CP for my wife and I, but it makes more sense to get it for one of the kids. Anyone know? I'm curious how the call to marriott to order the package would go, and whether you'd be ok to speak on your child's behalf.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Willbur
How long ago was "in the past"?

Also, I'm assuming you're not a timeshare owner, right?
Correct on not being a timeshare owner. FWIW, none of the agents specifically pointed out one way or another whether they'll still available for timeshare owners - just generic "we only have 7 night packages" when i inquired about a 5 night.

How recently were you able to book one? Doing my Google research, there's a ton of data points in early 2016 (many bloggers posted about it), but few datapoints within the past few months
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by the hotel bar
How recently were you able to book one? Doing my Google research, there's a ton of data points in early 2016 (many bloggers posted about it), but few datapoints within the past few months
Yeah, unfortunately I haven't seen any public successes posted since the bloggers advertised it.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:35 pm

I'm trying to imagine where we might reasonably go and stay in one hotel for 7 nights...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.