Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
- Coffee pods in the room are €2. The first time I have come across a 5* charging for coffee pods.
- They refuse to give more then 1 bottle of 500ml water per person per day.
- The hotel was meant to have a heated pool which they never heated and the water was freezing. The kids only went swimming once.
- My toddler is a fussy eater and they refused to let us carry her left over coco pops so she can eat in the room later.

When you are paying $800 a night for a hotel room you expect them not to do these things.
Yes I agree with you!! That really sucks when you are paying $800/night and expecting better for a property like that! Those are minor things they are making issues of. That really puts a damper on considering this property.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
I’m contemplating doing another TP to Alaska Miles since the first one served us so well. Any cat 5 or 6 beach front properties worth staying 6 or 7 nights for? Anything in Mexico, DR or Turks?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
So should one purchase a Travel & Fly certificate now OR should they wait until after August when the changes take place? I just dont want to experience another devaluation for something I have worked so hard for. My concern is that if I purchase a travel certificate now, that marriott will cancel it or refund me less money than what I used to purchase the travel + hotel certificate.

Thoughts anyone on anything official?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by SimpleManToo
So should one purchase a Travel & Fly certificate now OR should they wait until after August when the changes take place? I just dont want to experience another devaluation for something I have worked so hard for. My concern is that if I purchase a travel certificate now, that marriott will cancel it or refund me less money than what I used to purchase the travel + hotel certificate.

Thoughts anyone on anything official?
Nothing official, but I can tell you my thought process on the subject. The airline miles (for me) are the most valuable component of the TPs. And if TPs do indeed continue post August, I don't see the airline redemption going up. In fact, my gut tells me, this is where Marriott will devalue, so I am going to purchase before August.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:35 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
With the 20K points posting for upgrading the Marriott CC, I will be sitting on more than 380K Marriott points in a week or so.

My question is: how to proceed forward to maximize my returns using the said Marriott Travel Packages.

Thank you!
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by flyaxa
Nothing official, but I can tell you my thought process on the subject. The airline miles (for me) are the most valuable component of the TPs. And if TPs do indeed continue post August, I don't see the airline redemption going up. In fact, my gut tells me, this is where Marriott will devalue, so I am going to purchase before August.
Agreed, but I have used the 7-day category 1-5 hotels four separate times to spectacular redemptions in Thailand. Treated like royalty with suite upgrades, breakfast buffet at restaurant, lounge access, and VIP treatment. Redemptions were worth a $1000 a week easy.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive, Hertz 5 Star
I redeemed a 7-day Category 1-5 travel package this morning for 270,000 points. However, according to the email confirmation and my account, the agent gave me a 5-day Category 7 travel package for 270,000 points instead. Both packages includes 120,000 miles transfer to airline partner, the only difference between these two packages would be:
  • 7 nights Category 5 (150,000 MR points via regular points redemption, with 5th night free), vs
  • 5 nights Category 7 (140,000 MR points via regular points redemption, with 5th night free)

Before I call Marriott to fix it, can anyone think of any advantage of keeping the 5-day package over the 7-day package?

Thanks
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:47 am

I wish I can get a 5 nights package I rarely stay in the same place for 7 nights.
davidsc111 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by BearSmart
I redeemed a 7-day Category 1-5 travel package this morning for 270,000 points. However, according to the email confirmation and my account, the agent gave me a 5-day Category 7 travel package for 270,000 points instead. Both packages includes 120,000 miles transfer to airline partner, the only difference between these two packages would be:
  • 7 nights Category 5 (150,000 MR points via regular points redemption, with 5th night free), vs
  • 5 nights Category 7 (140,000 MR points via regular points redemption, with 5th night free)
Before I call Marriott to fix it, can anyone think of any advantage of keeping the 5-day package over the 7-day package?

Thanks
It would really depend on how you plan to use the certificate nights. Would you rather stay 5 nights at a higher category, or 7 nights at a lower one? My usual redemption is a CAT 5, so I would not want to give up 2 free nights. If you were looking to redeem at a Cat 6 or Cat 7, and were only interested in 5 nights, your answer would be different then mine.

Not sure the point value comparison means a whole lot, unless I missed an official announcement in the merger news?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by goodeats21
It would really depend on how you plan to use the certificate nights. Would you rather stay 5 nights at a higher category, or 7 nights at a lower one? My usual redemption is a CAT 5, so I would not want to give up 2 free nights. If you were looking to redeem at a Cat 6 or Cat 7, and were only interested in 5 nights, your answer would be different then mine.
It makes sense. Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...

Thanks
Wow, I would keep it. I used to redeem for 5 nights quite often, until they stop allowing me saying it was only for time share owners

As others said, I rarely stay more than 5 nights in one property, and when I do, it is because I have the 7 night travel package and usually pick a really good resort domestically, like the Hawaiian Properties.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:09 pm

Here is what I got today from Marriott Rewards via Twitter:

Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
It makes sense. Thanks!
Plus I bet you could upgrade it to a higher cat if you wanted and keep it at 5 nights...could be very useful under certain situations. You could likely downgrade it to a cat 1-5 and get the credit as well while keeping it a 5 day award.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:19 pm

Thanks
Hold on, how many points were you charged for this redemption? You stated 270k at the top, which would mean that you were charged the 7 night package price. Or were you charged less?

If it cost 270k, definitely get them to correct this, as you paid for a 7 night package. Even if you intend to only use 5 nights it's handy to be able to book a day early for an early check in or use the last day for a late check-out.

If you were charged less, then it's a simple question whether you would use 2 extra nights or not.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by joeags
Hold on, how many points were you charged for this redemption? You stated 270k at the top, which would mean that you were charged the 7 night package price.
That's not right. OP got a Cat 7 package. A seven night Cat 7 would be 330k points.

I also wish I could get a five night package. I never stay seven nights in one place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.