Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
So if I purchase a TP package before July 31 and attach it to a reservation in 2019, the airline miles or the hotel miles will not be Devalued? My concern is that I will be required to up more points for either air or hotel.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SimpleManToo
So if I purchase a TP package before July 31 and attach it to a reservation in 2019, the airline miles or the hotel miles will not be Devalued? My concern is that I will be required to up more points for either air or hotel.
??? You get the miles right away and the hotel is booked. There are numerous consumer protections that mean you can't be charged more after booking...
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Currently, some Marriott agents will refund 45K Marriott points (15K Starpoints) if you return the 7 night stay certificate. That’s not a good value for the 7 night hotel certificate, but if you won’t use the hotel stay then it’s better than nothing. If you do that it will be like transferring 75K Starpoints into 132K United miles.
You can refund all certs for 45k + upgrade points paid, which isn't a new feature - that's been the refund value when you opt to refund. And this should be all agents, the only thing is that some of the combined agents or newly hired agents seem quite terrible and unable to complete tasks that used to be no sweat.

Originally Posted by tth6133
Certificates will be converted to points because
1. Starwood Lurker on the SPG forum has indicated that'd be the case, presumably he's verified this with the new management.
2. It's nearly impossible to convert a certificate to another certificate in the new category. For example, there's no equivalent new category to the current cat 6 (30K/night), cat 8 (40K/night) or cat 9 (45K/night). Of course, the old certificate could be mapped to a higher category (in terms of the number of points required), but that's highly unlikely (you come out a winner anyway if they did).
I think like you I'm hoping this is the case, but it seems quite far from certain right now. If you've followed SPG Lurker you've noticed that he has given the one vague answer and has not been able to follow-up with any additional confirmation or details when asked. "Floater certificates, including outstanding Marriott Travel Packages, will be cancelled and converted to equivalent points, credited to the member’s account for future redemption.” How these points will be credited is the biggest unknown. The most fair is credited 6x the nightly point value (considering one free night). The most unfair would be the current back-end refund rates of 45k+upgrade points. Something in between would be cancelling and converting them to a certificate of equivalent points that still has restrictions on it (must book 5+ or 7+ nights for that point value). The wording and lack of follow-up info are vague enough to leave open multiple scenarios and I'm hoping for the post but trying to figure out how to prepare for the worst.

Last edited by Willbur; Jun 17, 2018 at 7:25 pm
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:43 pm

Where is it a for sure thing that unused certificates will be cashed out in August? Because if that's the case, I think this would be excellent for me. Am I missing something? I've been hesitant to buy a TP in the past because I don't want to stay 7 nights, I'd rather do two 5 nights. But I want the miles. So if I buy the cat 1-5 TP, get the miles, I'll essentially get the FULL hotel points of 150,000 back in August to book in any combo that I please?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Willbur
You can refund all certs for 45k + upgrade points paid, which isn't a new feature - that's been the refund value when you opt to refund. And this should be all agents, the only thing is that some of the combined agents or newly hired agents seem quite terrible and unable to complete tasks that used to be no sweat.

I think like you I'm hoping this is the case, but it seems quite far from certain right now. If you've followed SPG Lurker you've noticed that he has given the one vague answer and has not been able to follow-up with any additional confirmation or details when asked. "Floater certificates, including outstanding Marriott Travel Packages, will be cancelled and converted to equivalent points, credited to the member’s account for future redemption.” How these points will be credited is the biggest unknown. The most fair is credited 6x the nightly point value (considering one free night). The most unfair would be the current back-end refund rates of 45k+upgrade points. Something in between would be cancelling and converting them to a certificate of equivalent points that still has restrictions on it (must book 5+ or 7+ nights for that point value). The wording and lack of follow-up info are vague enough to leave open multiple scenarios and I'm hoping for the post but trying to figure out how to prepare for the worst.
I have an uneasy feeling that we're going to end up with the 45k+upgrade points for any TP certificates after Aug 1.
The fact that SPG Lurker is unwilling/unable to expand on this issue is making me prepare for the worse.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29777835-post1288.html

Originally Posted by jperiod
Where is it a for sure thing that unused certificates will be cashed out in August? Because if that's the case, I think this would be excellent for me. Am I missing something? I've been hesitant to buy a TP in the past because I don't want to stay 7 nights, I'd rather do two 5 nights. But I want the miles. So if I buy the cat 1-5 TP, get the miles, I'll essentially get the FULL hotel points of 150,000 back in August to book in any combo that I please?
Unused TP certificates WILL be converted to points in August.

Whether you get 150k points, 45k points, or something in between back, no one knows.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
I have an uneasy feeling that we're going to end up with the 45k+upgrade points for any TP certificates after Aug 1.
The fact that SPG Lurker is unwilling/unable to expand on this issue is making me prepare for the worse.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29777835-post1288.html

Unused TP certificates WILL be converted to points in August.

Whether you get 150k points, 45k points, or something in between back, no one knows.
hmmm, that key word "equivalent" makes me think it'd have to be the full value though. How could 45K points ever be "equivalent" to booking 7 nights somewhere? Hmmm, what to do...
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
hmmm, that key word "equivalent" makes me think it'd have to be the full value though. How could 45K points ever be "equivalent" to booking 7 nights somewhere? Hmmm, what to do...
I'm treating it as a gamble where the odds are stacked in my favour. I think I'll get full value back (or a 7-night certificate mapped across to the new award chart) - because I don't believe Marriott want to screw their members that badly - but worst case scenario I'd have converted 75K SPG into 120K Alaska or 132K United and I can easily live with that as well.
khlay and RafKa like this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
The 45K is based on the current "refund" amount. It's due to the miles, which are redeemed into an airline account the moment you purchase the package. Essentially, it means you're paying 235K points for up to 120K miles.

Getting 150K points back would mean you paid 120K Marriott points for 120K miles, a fantastic deal - too good to be true, IMHO. Plus, that would give a huge arbitrage opportunity for people holding large point balances to convert to packages and then just let the certificate "float" for a 50% rebate on 8/1. While I'd love Marriott to let me buy airline miles at $.07 each, I seriously doubt we will be so fortunate. At best/worst, they'd give you 150K back for floating certs but immediately suspend purchases of packages...I don't think that's something that would be very popular.

Last edited by SightseeMC; Jun 18, 2018 at 11:26 am Reason: grammar
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Isnt the easy solution to attach the certs to a reservation you think you have some chance of using instead of keeping them floating? Then as soon as we find out (before or after Aug 1st) what they are doing with these certs, we can always cancel the reservation and then these certs will become floater if its beneficial for us. If not, we can use try and use on the reservation that they are attached to if the forced conversation is really bad for us.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by SightseeMC
At best/worst, they'd give you 150K back for floating certs but immediately suspend purchases of packages...I don't think that's something that would be very popular.
They may not want to suspend the package redemption but they don't need to announce the solution early neither. If they announce it just a week before Aug, they can at least prevent people pooling SPG points to purchase the package. Also, jam the phone line or put more inexperienced agents (the trend I observed) might be good tactics to reduce the hit too.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Canceling reservation is not preferred if there is no award space left. I d rather leave the reservation alone and keep a floater cert until late july and then either wait for point conversion (if good ratio) or upgrade and attach (if cat update makes it favorable)
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by SightseeMC
Getting 150K points back would mean you paid 120K Marriott points for 120K miles, a fantastic deal - too good to be true, IMHO. Plus, that would give a huge arbitrage opportunity for people holding large point balances to convert to packages and then just let the certificate "float" for a 50% rebate on 8/1.
Marriott could, alternatively, put restrictions on the points converted from the floating certificates. These restrictions could include expiration date, minimum nights, etc. Allowing conversion with restrictions would be fair to both sides and avoid the problem you described.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by tth6133
Marriott could, alternatively, put restrictions on the points converted from the floating certificates. These restrictions could include expiration date, minimum nights, etc. Allowing conversion with restrictions would be fair to both sides and avoid the problem you described.
Don't agree with this. The heavily restricted points will be the same as point based certificates (cat 5 cert become 7 nights "at a property with a redemption level up to 25,000 points") like future credit card anniversary night cert. And the point based cert will be much easier to implement on the software side.
I think, by simply converting it to normal points, they will have a clean start for the new era. Even it means that they need to take some loss.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:21 pm

I think Marriott will convert the cat 1-5 floating certificate to the 45,000 points. This is the current rate if you no longer want the hotel stay. I also think Marriott will give us 3 months to attach a reservation to our floating certificate. After all, the idea of converting a floating certificate to points is not well advertise.
IDM79 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:58 pm

If I have a 5 night travel package and turn it back in for Marriott points, how many points do I receive for the basic category 1-5 5 night travel package?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.