Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: Southwest
Originally Posted by GueroDeTejas
Yes, here's the link to the appropriate Marriott page with the number to call:

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usep...82&co=US&nt=CJ
I think mdurette has already ordered the TP and is trying to use the cert. I'm actually having the same issue...TP cert isn't showing up as an option when booking.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago--I had already ordered the TP and was trying to use the cert, but the website wouldn't let me. I had to call the agent applied it.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Points posted today. Still shows I need 110K points for CP.
thanks for trying!

too bad though...
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by perdue
I think mdurette has already ordered the TP and is trying to use the cert. I'm actually having the same issue...TP cert isn't showing up as an option when booking.

Correct. I called MR to see if I could book the TP online or if I had to call. He said I should be able to do it online, but he gets lots of reports from people who have issues doing it. He said when I find something to just give them a call and they will set it up.

If anyone knows the secret trick on how to book these online yourself, please let us know.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mdurette
I just ordered my first 7 night TP and I'm playing around with options and need a bit of help.

I assumed once I found a 7 night stay with MR availability in a category I wanted as I proceeded with selecting it the "cert" would pop up and ask if I wanted to use it (just like an e-cert for a one night stay).

What I am getting is you are short points.....blah, blah, blah.

Does the booking of a TP require a phone call or am I missing something?
You book the reward online without the cert / point attached.

Then call Marriott to tell them you are using the TP cert for this booking. Then the rep would attach your cert to the booking from the Marriott end.

I have not seen anyone reported being able to book WITH the cert attached when booking online even though in theory it seems should work.

My guess is, the 7 night cert when actually attaches to the booking would show as 2 certs split the 7 nights. Dont think online allows such split so it has to be manually processed. Remember - booking a TP must be a very low % of the redemption versus the normal redemption - so there is no reason to invest in the IT side to make it bookable online while a rep can easily handle this. It is far more cost-effective for Marriott to make this type of redemption by calling only.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:30 pm

The window for earning Companion Pass via Marriott travel package is back open. Southwest has reversed and will allow CP earning from hotel transfers through March 31st.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Willbur
The window for earning Companion Pass via Marriott travel package is back open. Southwest has reversed and will allow CP earning from hotel transfers through March 31st.
Great news! How long will it take WN's crack IT team to undo this?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Willbur
Wow southwest caved and reversed it? Amazing
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:28 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
My guess is, the 7 night cert when actually attaches to the booking would show as 2 certs split the 7 nights. Dont think online allows such split so it has to be manually processed.
That has been my thoughts as well. Since behind the curtains the 7-night TP hotel cert is really 2 certs and the online tool looks for individual certs that satisfy the reservation requirements, the online tool will not find and offer the TP certs.

This same issue occurs when you try to make a 2 night reservation with the online tool not seeing that you have two 1-night certs and offering them. You have to call MR and get them to make the award reservation using the two 1-night certs. Though in this case, since the 1-night certs aren't "packaged" together you could make two 1-night reservations online using the certs. I suspect the TP hotel certs are "packaged" together somehow such that you have to use them together. Thus you have to call MR to get them to attach the TP hotel award to the reservation.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by RedElmo
Wow southwest caved and reversed it? Amazing
Well it sounds like they reversed the no notice part. It's only being extended until March 31st.

Cheers.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:43 am

Could someone let me know if I use my Marriott points for the 270k package deal can I use my wife's Southwest Account to credit the airline points to? I already have the CP but having 3 kids it would be nice to get her the CP.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: Southwest
Originally Posted by beltline
Could someone let me know if I use my Marriott points for the 270k package deal can I use my wife's Southwest Account to credit the airline points to? I already have the CP but having 3 kids it would be nice to get her the CP.
Does she have a MR and SPG account? You can transfer freely between your two MR accounts via SPG as long as the mailing address on file in SPG is the same (and has been for 30 days). You should transfer to her account, then make the purchase. I think Marriott says they can only go into RR account with matching name. It may work, but there's no reason to risk it.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:08 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I do believe the airline points have to go into the Southwest account with the same name for whom the award was made from.

I'm not sure I have tried to order a TP award for someone other than myself. Maybe they will let you, but if they don't, you should be able to transfer the points from your Marriott account into your wife's. There are a couple of ways to accomplish that. First, within Marriott, have her call MR telling them she wants to order the TP award from her account (which won't have enough points and if she doesn't have an account create one for her.) Marriott will allow you to transfer the required points from your account into hers (even more than 50K when ordering an award.) With ordering the award from her account, her SW account would then receive the points.

The 2nd way assumes you and your wife have the same address and both already have SPG accounts. If so, you could move the points to your SPG account, then initiate an online transfer to your wife's account. It should take around 5 days or less and then the points would be in your wife's SPG account. She could then transfer them to her Marriott account and order the award herself.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:12 am

When I ordered my 270K TP deal yesterday and moved to SW, Marriott specifically asked me if the SW account was in my name.

I would explore the other option mentioned. Move your MR points to her MR account. Then have her move those points to her SW RR account. That should work unless MR or SPG has any restrictions on the amount you can move between spouses.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:37 am

I am in similar situations with 2 kids. I decided to make me CP and one of my kid CP. That way I can use the benefit when I travel with just my spouse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.