Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:10 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tth6133
This is true for making a hotel redemption. However, my understanding is that ordering TP doesn't qualify. Can anyone confirm?
It is doable for any award.

This approach has been around for years and used by people to combine their points into a single account, but there is a caveat there. A TP award can't be "returned" once it has been ordered. Yes, the hotel award can be returned at a very reduced points rate, but not the airline miles. Once those are transferred Marriott has no way to "pull" them back from an airline's program. So ordering a TP award is NOT the award used by persons to combine points into a single account for some future use. A hotel award would be much better in that case as the award can usually be cancelled with all points going into one account.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
And I thought that you were only able to do that into a spouses account.

One reason I like Marriott, they understand the "grey areas".
Yes, Marriott's T&Cs used to state free points transfers were supposed to be between spouses accounts. But even back then they would let you transfer points between any 2 accounts.

And today, I don't think they have the "spouse" limitation in the T&Cs any longer. So it is doable today between any 2 accounts (assuming the owners of both accounts provide the appropriate consent.)
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by joeags
I transferred 230k from my account into my wife's account a month ago and redeemed a travel package with no problems.
Did you just call in and say you want to transfer them over to buy a TP in her name and voila? Was she also on the call? I think I'm going to have to call in and then have them conference my dad over to the call b/c he won't be able to handle the issue of the 5-nighter, if there's any issue, which sounds rather 50/50.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Can my husband transfer his Marriott points into my SWA account so I can get the companion pass in my name? If not, can I set up a marriott account and have him transfer marriott points into my account and then I can transfer those into SWA in order to get the companion pass. I'm trying to get it so my daughter and I can always travel together on a companion pass. Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by odie11
Can my husband transfer his Marriott points into my SWA account so I can get the companion pass in my name?
Not directly. As you suggested, you will need to have a MR account and move the points to your account before you transfer them to SWA.

There are two ways you can do that. First, if you both already have SPG accounts (and those account show the both of you living at the same address), your husband can transfer his points to his SPG account and then transfer them to your SPG account. You would then be able to transfer them over to your MR account.

The second way would be to call MR. You would tell them that you want to order a TP award (or directly transfer points to your SWA account.) Of course your new MR account doesn't have any points in it yet, so you will tell them you want to transfer the points from your husband's account into your to allow you to order the award. The MR agent should be able to walk you through how to get both your husband's and your approvals for the points transfer. And once that is done, MR will transfer the points and order the award from your account.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Not directly. As you suggested, you will need to have a MR account and move the points to your account before you transfer them to SWA.

There are two ways you can do that. First, if you both already have SPG accounts (and those account show the both of you living at the same address), your husband can transfer his points to his SPG account and then transfer them to your SPG account. You would then be able to transfer them over to your MR account.

The second way would be to call MR. You would tell them that you want to order a TP award (or directly transfer points to your SWA account.) Of course your new MR account doesn't have any points in it yet, so you will tell them you want to transfer the points from your husband's account into your to allow you to order the award. The MR agent should be able to walk you through how to get both your husband's and your approvals for the points transfer. And once that is done, MR will transfer the points and order the award from your account.
Thanks for your reply.
I don't have an SPG account nor a Marriott account. So, first I call Marriott and sign up for a MR account. Then I can MR and ask to transfer the points from my husband's into my account. Then I call MR and order the travel package to get the SW points?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by odie11
Thanks for your reply.
I don't have an SPG account nor a Marriott account. So, first I call Marriott and sign up for a MR account. Then I can MR and ask to transfer the points from my husband's into my account. Then I call MR and order the travel package to get the SW points?
You can set up the MR and SPG accounts online. Upthread someone said you have to have the account for 30 days before transferring in or out. Maybe they will make exception over the phone?

Question to all: if I have an award reservation already in place, can they simply convert to a TP with additional points?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: Southwest
When using the 7 night cert...Can I make a 5 night booking, then call in and have them apply the cert to that reservation, or would I have to make a 7 night (I get that I would use the cert entirely regardless of nights booked). Would category and room upgrades then be based on 5 nights or 7?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:10 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Originally Posted by perdue
When using the 7 night cert...Can I make a 5 night booking, then call in and have them apply the cert to that reservation, or would I have to make a 7 night (I get that I would use the cert entirely regardless of nights booked).
I've used my 5 night cert on a 3 night stay.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:04 am

Anyone know if it's possible to use a 7 night cert for two rooms? I'd like to stay at a Cat 3 in Europe for four days with some friends in a second room. In an ideal world, I could use the cert plus 15k points for two rooms for four nights.

Is this at all possible?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by osmantrex
Anyone know if it's possible to use a 7 night cert for two rooms? I'd like to stay at a Cat 3 in Europe for four days with some friends in a second room. In an ideal world, I could use the cert plus 15k points for two rooms for four nights.

Is this at all possible?
Unfortunately it's not an ideal world.

It would be good if you could.

But you can always call MR. You never know. Stranger things have happened.
Such as people getting the 5 day TP.

Never hurts to try. Worst they say no. Best they say yes.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Never hurts to try. Worst they say no. Best they say yes.
Don't disagree that it doesn't hurt to ask, but don't get your hopes up. I've never heard of a hotel allowing it. Remember, Marriott will only reimburse the hotel for one room when using a TP hotel cert. So basically you are asking the hotel to give you a free room (free as Marriott won't give them anything for your using the 2nd room).
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Don't disagree that it doesn't hurt to ask, but don't get your hopes up. I've never heard of a hotel allowing it. Remember, Marriott will only reimburse the hotel for one room when using a TP hotel cert. So basically you are asking the hotel to give you a free room (free as Marriott won't give them anything for your using the 2nd room).
That makes sense. I figured it wasn't going to happen, but I appreciate the response!

I'm just glad they can be extended. Hopefully I'll be able to take a week at the property I have in mind in the summer of '18.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:48 pm
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
Happy to report that I called to request a TP using points from my wife's account. Got a knowledgeable CSR after the second call. She transferred 270K points from my wife's account into mine and then 120K miles into my Southwest account -- and issued me a 7 night certificate valid for one year.

Two days later, Southwest sent me a message telling me that I qualified for the Companion Pass.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by yrs
Happy to report that I called to request a TP using points from my wife's account. Got a knowledgeable CSR after the second call. She transferred 270K points from my wife's account into mine and then 120K miles into my Southwest account -- and issued me a 7 night certificate valid for one year.

Two days later, Southwest sent me a message telling me that I qualified for the Companion Pass.
Did your wife have to get on the phone too? If so, what information did she have to provide?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.