Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:38 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I would be shocked if this hotel got involved in that kind of nickling and diming of guests staying on points.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Also, while we’re talking about costs, hasn’t there been a change in the happy hours so that if you are in the right venues you can have an evening of free food and drink for longer than historically.
Afternoon cocktails start at 4 or 4:30 in Bar Su now. That was, in fact, a Marriott change.

Sounds like rdlimitedu got the wrong letter .. possibly a mistake. But did receive all elite benefits, right?

-David
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:44 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I would be shocked if this hotel got involved in that kind of nickling and diming of guests staying on points.
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Afternoon cocktails start at 4 or 4:30 in Bar Su now. That was, in fact, a Marriott change.

Sounds like rdlimitedu got the wrong letter .. possibly a mistake. But did receive all elite benefits, right?

-David
We don’t know what type of pressure Marriott puts on these hotels. It is plausible that some things are changed to cut costs or standardize benefit delivery.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
Yeah, I got the two pieces of laundry per day benefit (which is nice) and presumably no charge for Internet access or whatever else. I got a “grand deluxe” room (3014) which is also fine.

Impossible to tell as a guest if you got less than they were otherwise going to give you, or if they reduced what they were going to give you.

fwiw, Basil’s is open every single morning for breakfast, it just isn’t included for the platinum benefit.

i am in Rossini’s this morning and it was overrun and unpleasant, although in fairness to them I got here at 0930 on 10am closing on a holiday, so it is kind of to be expected. (All tables full, I had to wait for an empty one to be cleared, and still no entree served, which reminds me of how meager the regular items are without it. Dimsum was gone and not restocked, all the charcuterie was gone at 0945 (I got some), and there wasn’t a whole lot of baked goods. And that is essentially what is on offer in total this week anyway.)

Last edited by rdlmitedu; Jul 28, 2019 at 9:43 pm Reason: forum admin apparently doesn't allow "masked profanity"
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by rdlmitedu

fwiw, Basil’s is open every single morning for breakfast, it just isn’t included for the platinum benefit.

They keep changing Basil's hours, depending on time of year, occupancy, special groups that have included breakfast etc, I believe.

I've also seen Rossini's fill up like that and they will usually get servers and managers from the other venues to help out, but it takes some time to normalize. You should have been able to ask for and get anything you wanted. I hope you could. I agree it's not great under those conditions sometimes. I hope you were able to try the Alaskan Salmon.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jul 28, 2019 at 9:37 pm
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
If Basil does a good Khao Thom for breakfast I’ll book my flight now.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
They keep changing Basil's hours, depending on time of year, occupancy, special groups that have included breakfast etc, I believe.

I've also seen Rossini's fill up like that and they will usually get servers and managers from the other venues to help out, but it takes some time to normalize. You should have been able to ask for and get anything you wanted. I hope you could. I agree it's not great under those conditions sometimes. I hope you were able to try the Alaskan Salmon.

-David
I did get the salmon! It was great. And yes, it seemed like manager from another venue was at the front. It just was a reminder that Rossini's is a fairly limited buffet + entree (which is probably "better" than an unlimited buffet where no single item is as good as the individual items at Rossini's).

I'd be happier with Rossini's if they added a few more items to the main buffet, like bacon or some form of sausage or scrambled eggs.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:43 pm

I did get the salmon! It was great. And yes, it seemed like manager from another venue was at the front. It just was a reminder that Rossini's is a fairly limited buffet + entree (which is probably "better" than an unlimited buffet where no single item is as good as the individual items at Rossini's).

I'd be happier with Rossini's if they added a few more items to the main buffet, like bacon or some form of sausage or scrambled eggs.
They have bacon and sausage, usually in big plates on display where the chef is working in the show kitchen. You can get all you want. You might have to ask for it from the chef. It's possible since it was so busy, they didn't have any pre-made at that point?

All the eggs are cooked to order as you might expect there.

-David
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:46 pm

They have bacon and sausage, usually in big plates on display where the chef is working in the show kitchen. You can get all you want. You might have to ask for it from the chef. It's possible since it was so busy, they didn't have any pre-made at that point?

-David
I haven't seen any in the past 4 days. I will ask tomorrow. There's a large ham and applesauce, which I had the first day.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I haven't seen Basil's open for breakfast since sometime last year (and I have something like 11 stays in the past 18 months). As you suggest, I think they tend to open it when they have large groups. We were able to breakfast there no problem when it was open.
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
When you say that the selection isn't what it once was, what items have you noticed to be missing?
I haven't seen the crab and river prawn omelet since January. I miss it. Badly.
In any case, there are 10 other good Marriott properties and 5+ other non-Marriott properties which I prefer in the city. I
Yes, an abundance of riches!
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:20 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
they've cost-reduced every little thing they can find
If I was GM and I wanted to cost reduce "every little thing" here is what I would do:

1. Cut out Thann products and replace with no-name products from China
2. Cut back happy hour from 4 hours of free flow drinks per day, to 1 drink per person per stay
3. Cut back on the number of venues for happy hour
4. Cut back on the quality of drinks offered at happy hour
5. Eliminate canapes altogether
6. Eliminate the laundry benefit
7. Cut back on quality and quantity of food for breakfast
8. Eliminate Rossini for breakfast and cram everybody in the main restaurant
9. Cut back on number of staff available at the gym and the pool

I could go on and on. Sounds like none of the above has been cost reduced so perhaps OP is disappointed and would be more satisfied in a hotel in a higher price range which is not a problem at all, but the situation is not as dire as originally described?

But Sukhothai, Peninsula, and MO outclass them all. Usually at 2x the Marriott hotel rates
Comparing SGS to hotels which are twice the price is unfair - comparing to Grand Hyatt, Conrad, or Banyan Tree would be fine in my opinion, but comparing to MO?
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, LH SEN
Of course it's not the huge buffet selection you find downstairs. But I find the quality at Rossini's quite outstanding (e.g. freshly cut iberico ham, excellent buffalo mozzarella, chorizo, salame milano, a great cheese selection [I especially like the "Pecorino al Pepe Nero"]).

I can't recall whether they had bacon or scrambled eggs on the buffet. But as others have said, I'm sure they would happily bring you those items on request.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
Everything is meant to be changed..
In BKK, there are tons of hotels to choose. If you don't like, just pick elsewhere.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by escape4
Comparing SGS to hotels which are twice the price is unfair - comparing to Grand Hyatt, Conrad, or Banyan Tree would be fine in my opinion, but comparing to MO?
I think MO is more like 3-4x SGS.

I actually prefer the SGS more casual style of service compared to the true 5*. But everyone will have their personal preferences and there is indeed a Marriott/SPG property to suit pretty much everyone in Bangkok.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:43 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think MO is more like 3-4x SGS.

I actually prefer the SGS more casual style of service compared to the true 5*. But everyone will have their personal preferences and there is indeed a Marriott/SPG property to suit pretty much everyone in Bangkok.
That's right, I think it's a lot easier to compare two hotels in a similar price range and similar style catering to the same category of clients. If hotels A and B are very different style, price, etc. etc. then it's clear that if someone opines A is better value, someone else could very well argue back that B is better for their own preferences, and both could be right at the same time. If I try to be objective here and make a recommendation, I could very well recommend A to one person and B to another person without contradicting myself, if the two hotels are so different and if I understand both people's situation and objectives.

Discussing MO vs SGS is not going to be the most useful exercise in my humble opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.