Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by yorkboy24

That’s why I was surprised about the food poisoning case. Just because only a few people got sick doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be taken seriously.
Many years ago, after surviving fine on street eats for 5 weeks upcountry and in Laos, my parents got food poisoning from the Chinese resto in Shangri La. The hotel never acknowledged resonsibility nor gave consideration to any goodwill.

Five Asia trips later, covering 30 weeks, and no further food poisonings.... s&^ff happens.

People getting sick consistently is noteworth; a one off is a unavoidable.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
In both of these cases of reported food poisoning, the source can't be tracked down without proper medical testing, so I'm a bit skeptical that the source has been correctly identified.

Back on topic of the question of Mr Chapman or Santa Claus, both pay a sort of annual December role in my life with my regular Bangkok visit schedule, except I find Santa somewhat less reliable at delivering the goods.
LIH Prem, estnet, mcgahat and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
First visit to the SGS and problems with SNA

Hi all,

I am a regular visitor in Bangkok but I never stayed at the SGS --- I did stay at the Westin just across the street last year.

After reading the excellent feedback on the SGS here, I have decided to go for it for an 8-days stay next week. My elderly parents will be traveling with me, and I was planning to use a SNA to upgrade their room. Unfortunately, the award is still pending since a few days, and I suspect it will be hard to get the upgrade.

If there is any availability in one of the signature suites, do you think it would be possible to get upgraded to one of those by paying a cash difference? (of course, with the benefit of hindsight, I should have probably just went ahead and booked a suite)

Does any of you have experience in this regard?

Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by alesfo
If there is any availability in one of the signature suites, do you think it would be possible to get upgraded to one of those by paying a cash difference? (of course, with the benefit of hindsight, I should have probably just went ahead and booked a suite)
!

I'd suggest you contact the property and ask them. Note that the Rama and Rachada suites do not have separate living rooms.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
In both of these cases of reported food poisoning, the source can't be tracked down without proper medical testing, so I'm a bit skeptical that the source has been correctly identified.

Back on topic of the question of Mr Chapman or Santa Claus, both pay a sort of annual December role in my life with my regular Bangkok visit schedule, except I find Santa somewhat less reliable at delivering the goods.
Indeed, proving actual source of food poisonings are extremely difficult, of course its serious but as is making un proven allegations that can impact business ( and people) significantly. Was it the last meal that got you , or the one before, or the one before that ????
How can you tell without lab testing ?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 12:04 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Unless we are doing some forensic investigation there isn’t much point in digging in. This isn’t the first nor will it be the last time someone had food poisoning that they attribute to the hotel they stayed in or some street vendor or whatever. The poster attributes it to something they are at the hotel and shared how the hotel responded. It happens.
estnet likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd suggest you contact the property and ask them. Note that the Rama and Rachada suites do not have separate living rooms.
I've just done that and eventually I decided to upgrade my parents to the Rama Suite (the only signature suite available). It is of course not cheap, but as I understand it is worth its price (well, this is of course a subjective statement, but regular visitors seemed very happy with it).

What should I / my parents expect from the butler service, besides packing and unpacking of suitcases?
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I've just done that and eventually I decided to upgrade my parents to the Rama Suite (the only signature suite available). It is of course not cheap, but as I understand it is worth its price (well, this is of course a subjective statement, but regular visitors seemed very happy with it).

What should I / my parents expect from the butler service, besides packing and unpacking of suitcases?
For me I only use the butler service for coffee / tea but it’s a very good benefit. You can also order ice tea (try the ice chrysanthemum tea!) and ice coffee / cappuccino etc.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Rama suite has the outdoor hot tub. I consider it the most desirable suite at the hotel (except possibly Royal, which I haven't stayed in). Note that it does not have separate living room and bedroom. Just one large room with a bed at one end and a sofa and chairs at the other, divided by an entertainment center. There are also two steps up to the living space, and two steps down to the bathroom. This could be a concern if your parents have mobility issues.

You would use butlers for pressing or coffee/tea service. It's not the same level of personalized service as at some other properties.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:23 am

There are also two steps up to the living space, and two steps down to the bathroom. This could be a concern if your parents have mobility issues.
It should be fine, though I suspect that they may stumble and curse at least once during the stay. The most important things for them are the comfort of the beds (my mother has arthritis, so hard mattresses are a no-go) and the possibility of getting some fresh air --- they don't like being boxed in the building as it is necessarily the case in most high-rise hotels. From this point of view, the Rama suite (or any of the garden suites) should be the optimal choice.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:37 am

It should be fine, though I suspect that they may stumble and curse at least once during the stay. The most important things for them are the comfort of the beds (my mother has arthritis, so hard mattresses are a no-go) and the possibility of getting some fresh air --- they don't like being boxed in the building as it is necessarily the case in most high-rise hotels. From this point of view, the Rama suite (or any of the garden suites) should be the optimal choice.
The beds are very comfortable. The 10th floor speciality suites with their outdoor spaces are quite a treat. Lush tropical oases in the heart of Sukhumvit.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:57 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Staying with a friend who checked in first. SGS won't give any of my usual benefits until I show my face at the front desk. Not a big deal and I'll be popping down in a bit, but just FYI for those booking rooms for/with others.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:45 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Rama suite has the outdoor hot tub. I consider it the most desirable suite at the hotel (except possibly Royal, which I haven't stayed in). Note that it does not have separate living room and bedroom. Just one large room with a bed at one end and a sofa and chairs at the other, divided by an entertainment center. There are also two steps up to the living space, and two steps down to the bathroom. This could be a concern if your parents have mobility issues.

You would use butlers for pressing or coffee/tea service. It's not the same level of personalized service as at some other properties.
I've been the fortunate recipient of upgrades to the Ratchada and Royal suites on my last two visits. If you can stretch to it, the Royal suite is out of this world. It is really airy and has an outdoor balcony area which is a nice bonus. The boardroom chich is just off of the living area is probably surplus to requirements but I can understand how it would be useful for a visiting titan of industry to use for meetings. TBH I was a little underwhelmed by the theme suite. I found it very dark and stubbed my toe a number of times moving up and down stairs at the entrance and to get to the bathroom. The outdoor area was nice but lots of leaves all over the place was a little annoying. If it was my money I'd go for the luxury suite over a theme suite unless outdoor space was super important to me.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:32 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by helvetic
Staying with a friend who checked in first. SGS won't give any of my usual benefits until I show my face at the front desk. Not a big deal and I'll be popping down in a bit, but just FYI for those booking rooms for/with others.
If room not in your name, it will be a courtesy if the hotel allows you benefits
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:55 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
If room not in your name, it will be a courtesy if the hotel allows you benefits
Room is in my name, simply wasn't there to check-in when my other guest was checking in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.