Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
Not sure what you're expecting them to do, but you might reach out to the hotel directly so you can decide if what they're doing is satisfactory to you.
I recently stayed at a hotel in Chiang Mai (outside Marriott) and was given two 3M masks per day.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 6:28 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Melodsal
Is anyone staying here currently or has stayed recently and can give an update on what measures the hotel is taking to guard against the coronavirus? I’m trying to decide if I should cancel a trip planned in two weeks in Bangkok staying at the hotel.
Thanks!
I see from your info that you are from the United States where more than 10,000 people die of the flu every year out of millions infected. So far there have been zero deaths in Thailand from the virus and only 25 cases overall. So I should ask tongue in cheek, what measures are USA hotels taking to guard against the flu and should I cancel my trip to USA in a few weeks?

Seriously, this is a China issue. 30k+ cases from China and every other country is less than 100 cases so peanuts in the grand scheme of things. You have a higher chance of dying in a car crash on your way from BKK airport to SGS in a taxi than dying of this virus so SGS offering car service from the airport is what they do for your safety
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:10 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by escape4
I see from your info that you are from the United States where more than 10,000 people die of the flu every year out of millions infected. So far there have been zero deaths in Thailand from the virus and only 25 cases overall. So I should ask tongue in cheek, what measures are USA hotels taking to guard against the flu and should I cancel my trip to USA in a few weeks?

Seriously, this is a China issue. 30k+ cases from China and every other country is less than 100 cases so peanuts in the grand scheme of things. You have a higher chance of dying in a car crash on your way from BKK airport to SGS in a taxi than dying of this virus so SGS offering car service from the airport is what they do for your safety
On that I'll have to strongly disagree with you.

The flu has a far lower mortality than this thing. This has no vaccines. If it spreads uncontrollably beyond China (which it likely will given its transmitability) it will likely infect a large proportion of the world population (like H1N1 swine flu or spanish flu). Swine flu killed 250-500k+ people on top of regular flu deaths, after infecting 1+ billion (since it had very low mortality, we got lucky). Spanish flu killed 50-100M people, 5%+ of the world population.

Comparisons to the flu are silly and dismissive of a real threat.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by escape4
You have a higher chance of dying in a car crash on your way from BKK airport to SGS in a taxi than dying of this virus so SGS offering car service from the airport is what they do for your safety
Getting in a taxi in Bangkok is definitely one of the more dangerous things you can do in Thailand!

I'll be there next weekend and am much more concerned about flight cancellations than catching nCoV. Looking forward to the absence of large tour groups.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:35 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by helvetic
On that I'll have to strongly disagree with you.

The flu has a far lower mortality than this thing. This has no vaccines. If it spreads uncontrollably beyond China (which it likely will given its transmitability) it will likely infect a large proportion of the world population (like H1N1 swine flu or spanish flu). Swine flu killed 250-500k+ people on top of regular flu deaths, after infecting 1+ billion (since it had very low mortality, we got lucky). Spanish flu killed 50-100M people, 5%+ of the world population.

Comparisons to the flu are silly and dismissive of a real threat.
I know what you mean, but I think you are speaking about projected outlook and future risks, while I am speaking about the present situation and the current risks.

Correct, this virus has 2% mortality so far and flu is less than 0.1% mortality. If it spreads uncontrollably then at that stage I will have no problem changing my travel risk assessment, but as of today the risks outside of China are very small. I still prefer the odds of 2% death of something that has 25 cases in Thailand as of now, rather than 0.05% death of 10m cases of flu in the US. And if I am wrong, then I will pay the ultimate price; you will know once I suddenly stop posting on FT that I am dead

As @Kacee mentioned it's a great time to travel to BKK without large tour groups and increasingly better odds of suite upgrades in various hotels including SGS, with hotel prices lower than normal to boot: I see sub 4k THB at SGS later this month if booking exactly 4 nights to benefit from 4th night free

If someone was considering a trip in August by then maybe it would be correct to avoid the region but for travel in February it is safer in Thailand than in cold & dry climates such as U.S. where February is the peak of flu season. Melodsal was considering a trip to BKK in 2 weeks - don't cancel is my advice, and if you want a N95 mask the purpose is more about the pollution on some days in BKK rather than the virus.
GalaxyChris likes this.

Last edited by escape4; Feb 7, 2020 at 9:26 pm
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:28 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Folks,
If you have information which is specific to a property and how that property is taking precautions or responding to the Coronavirus, by all means share. An excellent example is the information that a hotel is giving out masks or has adjusted seating to further space apart diners. But general discussion about the virus, risks, etc do not belong in property threads or hotel chain city threads. There are specific threads like https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chin...ona-virus.html where this type of discussion is taking place. Please feel free to continue there. If the discussion is about a specific city then then respective destination forum thread would be appropriate.

Thank you for your cooperation and stay safe,
yosithezet
Co-Moderstor, MB Forum
forumpersona999 likes this.

Last edited by yosithezet; Feb 7, 2020 at 9:49 pm
Old Feb 8, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by agjil
It looks like Marriott Bonvoy Plats and above have three choices of venues for happy hour at this property: BarSu, Sala, and the Living Room.
If one's staying here just for one night, is it possible to sample the happy hour offerings at multiple venues, or do you only get to choose one of them?
Also, which of the three would you recommend for a first timer at the SGS?
Thanks-!
4 actually, when I am alone I prefer to take mine in the Library, so I can read while imbibing. Same staff and offerings as the Living Room.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
w.r.t. the stay 3 nights get 1 night free promo ... when I make the reservation it doesn't credit the free night in the expected cost. Does that night's charge get taken away later at check out?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:37 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
w.r.t. the stay 3 nights get 1 night free promo ... when I make the reservation it doesn't credit the free night in the expected cost. Does that night's charge get taken away later at check out?
I had the same issue. I contacted the hotel and they adjusted it manually so it showed correctly in my reservation
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:23 am
Company Representative - Bangkok.Grande Sukhumvit by Sheraton

Location: 250 Sukhumvit Soi 12-14, Sukhumvit Road, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110
Dear Valued Guests,

Please kindly be informed that due to the current situation we are obliged to close some venues and reduce the operation hours of some venues accordingly.

Please kindly check below for venues that are still in operation as of March 1, 2020 until further notice.

· Orchid Café is available daily for breakfast buffet, a la carte lunch and dinner buffets. For more details, please visit https://www.orchidcafebangkok.com

· DID – Dine in the Dark will operate only on Thursday – Saturday from 18:30 – 21:30 hrs. For more details, please visit https://www.dineinthedarkbangkok.com

· BarSu will operate only on Thursday – Saturday from 18:00 -24:00 hrs. For more details, please visit https://www.barsubangkok.com

· Rossini’s will operate daily for dinner only from 18:00 – 22:30 hrs.For more details, please visit https://www.rossinisbangkok.com

· The Living Room will operate daily from 09:00 – 24:00 hrs, live band will take stage from 19:00 hrs onwards.For more details, please visit https://www.thelivingroomatbangkok.com

· Le Petit Chef will operate on Wednesday – Sunday, one seating per day. For more details, please visit https://lepetitchef.asia/sheraton-grande-bangkok

· The Sala will operate for breakfast on weekends from 07:00 – 11:00 hrs. The Sala kitchen will operate on weekends from 07:00 – 17:00 hrs. The Sala bar will operate daily from 07:00 – 22:00 hrs.

· basil will be closed until further notice.

Thank you for your kind understanding in advance.

With kind regards,
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Bangkok
Dear Valued Guests,

Please kindly be informed that due to the current situation we are obliged to close some venues and reduce the operation hours of some venues accordingly.

Please kindly check below for venues that are still in operation as of March 1, 2020 until further notice.

· Orchid Café is available daily for breakfast buffet, a la carte lunch and dinner buffets. For more details, please visit https://www.orchidcafebangkok.com

· DID – Dine in the Dark will operate only on Thursday – Saturday from 18:30 – 21:30 hrs. For more details, please visit https://www.dineinthedarkbangkok.com

· BarSu will operate only on Thursday – Saturday from 18:00 -24:00 hrs. For more details, please visit https://www.barsubangkok.com

· Rossini’s will operate daily for dinner only from 18:00 – 22:30 hrs.For more details, please visit https://www.rossinisbangkok.com

· The Living Room will operate daily from 09:00 – 24:00 hrs, live band will take stage from 19:00 hrs onwards.For more details, please visit https://www.thelivingroomatbangkok.com

· Le Petit Chef will operate on Wednesday – Sunday, one seating per day. For more details, please visit https://lepetitchef.asia/sheraton-grande-bangkok

· The Sala will operate for breakfast on weekends from 07:00 – 11:00 hrs. The Sala kitchen will operate on weekends from 07:00 – 17:00 hrs. The Sala bar will operate daily from 07:00 – 22:00 hrs.

· basil will be closed until further notice.

Thank you for your kind understanding in advance.

With kind regards,
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit
Thanks for the update. I presume Platinum members cannot avail of the Rossini’s breakfast menu during this time? I’m hoping Rossini’s is open again during my stay in mid-April as I’m not keen on big buffets due to the virus. I find it strange that the hotel is encouraging crowds to gather in fewer venues at this time. If there’s no Rossini-type breakfast it may influence whether I keep my 5-night booking unfortunately.
Kacee and tomwhom like this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I presume these measures are being taken due to lower occupancy. If it is not revealing confidential information, would you be able
to give an approximate estimate of how much lower occupancy is? 20% 50%? more?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I think this is the only(?) hotel where the GM cares enough to post here, not only in response to issues but to give us a heads up about changes we might care about.

I think Mr Chapman deserves a BIG thank you!
Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
I think this is the only(?) hotel where the GM cares enough to post here, not only in response to issues but to give us a heads up about changes we might care about.

I think Mr Chapman deserves a BIG thank you!
Absolutely. And one of the few where the GM is continually walking around and checking in with guests on a daily basis. Much appreciated.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
Thanks for the update. I presume Platinum members cannot avail of the Rossini’s breakfast menu during this time? I’m hoping Rossini’s is open again during my stay in mid-April as I’m not keen on big buffets due to the virus. I find it strange that the hotel is encouraging crowds to gather in fewer venues at this time. If there’s no Rossini-type breakfast it may influence whether I keep my 5-night booking unfortunately.
This. I would have two stays starting later next week and Rossini is one reason why many elites keep coming here. Looks like I will stay at St. Regis then which I still keep the booking. Also a short walk from neighboring Waldorf where I will have 5 nights helps a bit instead of BTS or Taxi during this special time.

So goes the beauty of refundable whatever rate!

Oh well the shrimp wonton soup and crab meat Thai omelette :-)

I know I should worry more on possible travel restriction and flight cancellation.
yorkboy24, Kacee and paolo64 like this.

Last edited by tomwhom; Mar 2, 2020 at 5:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.