Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:27 am

Watch the animation on the website lepetitchef.com

Not sure what the end date is. Apparently they are using a board room in the business center for this.

I did enjoy the Leonardo drawings exhibit in the Library. There's a nice booklet you can take. Ends on Dec 14.

dgreen12 likes this.

Last edited by LIH Prem; Dec 7, 2019 at 3:38 am
Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:37 am

SanDiego1K, drron, UASPG and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:10 pm

BTS walkway is being extended from the Robinson's/Time Sq end at least to the Sofitel with a direct connection being added to the Sofitel .. not sure where the extension ends (forgot to ask Rickard). The new walkway intersects the pedestrian overpass, so it will share the existing street stairs.

I wonder if it will eventually go all the way to the HR/Nana walkway?

Connection to the Sofitel

Sofitel

View of the extension from the walkway to Robinson's

Extension from Robinson's/Times Square end.

Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:56 am

It would be very odd indeed if they didn’t connect it all the way , given that the gap from the Hyatt to the Sofitel would be only around 100 metres or less . I really hope this happens....
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by paolo64
It would be very odd indeed if they didn’t connect it all the way , given that the gap from the Hyatt to the Sofitel would be only around 100 metres or less
Except this is Thailand, and there are quite a few examples of the skywalk dead-ending where it really should not. Just try to get to Central Embassy from Chit Lom
EuropeanPete, CO-PLAT and paolo64 like this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 9:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Has anyone tried Le Petit Chef? Their selling line of having the smallest chef in the world (a dwarf?) doesn’t really do it for me.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 10:00 am

We dined at Le Petit Chef onboard Celebrity cruises last month. Cute, fun for kids. But the food was not up to the standards. So maybe it will be better at SGS since it’s a small group. On the ship, 100 people watch the video on each plate. Each course is served immediately following each segment, so the food was prepared a bit in advance. The high price fooled us into thinking it would translate into excellent food, but in reality you were paying for the high cost of licensing Le Petit Chef.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by PSPandBA
We dined at Le Petit Chef onboard Celebrity cruises last month. Cute, fun for kids. But the food was not up to the standards. So maybe it will be better at SGS since it’s a small group. On the ship, 100 people watch the video on each plate. Each course is served immediately following each segment, so the food was prepared a bit in advance. The high price fooled us into thinking it would translate into excellent food, but in reality you were paying for the high cost of licensing Le Petit Chef.
The food is the responsibility of the venue; Le Petit Chef owns and provides the IP to make it happen, and maybe the video hardware, too. LPC doesn't cook anything, SGS does. Actually, I think that it looks like fun. And the food will be of the same quality that one normally gets at SGS. https://www.bkkmenu.com/eat/news/le-petit-chef.html

Actually, looks like a pretty cool company; this is only one of their projects. https://skullmapping.com/
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:25 pm

Update on the walkway .. Richard said it will end at the Sofitel.

As for the missing link to the HR/Nana, somebody would have to pay for it. They aren't publicly funded or operated. And in order to connect to an existing walkway, they have to pay to do that as well.

-David
Old Dec 29, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AnttiV

After moving a bit norther from Bangkok I have preferred the location of the Marriotts at Phrom Phong and Thong Lo when staying in Bangkok but decided to stay here for the first time in a couple of years. The hard product and service is generally top noch even by Asian standards and I just love the pool area and the live jazz at the Living Room. Also the location could not be more convenient for moving around due to the proximity of both MRT and BTS.

I realise I must have been very unlucky but the last time I dined at the Orchid Cafe’s buffet I spotted cockroaches running around the food presentation and notified the staff who tried to chase them away without success. The insident was followed up by the F&B manager properly and besides lose of appetite no harm was done.

However this time I decided to order room service as I was too tired to go anywhere and had not eaten anything for about 30 hours. The mezze platter and the vege sandwhich were tasty but sadly I had to cancel everything the next day due to severe food poisoning, high fever and the rest. Once again the staff were nice enough to find me a thermometer and extra blanket to shiver under of which got me through the day but there were no apologies or compensation offered at any point even though I mentioned I got the food poisoning from the room service dinner and at checkout the clerk asked me if I was feeling better. As I was still feeling quite wobbly I had no interest in pushing the matter so I just let it go.

All in all, very nice hotel but for any further stays I’ll be dining elsewhere.
This is quite alarming. Any other people with similar experiences?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by brokenwindow
This is quite alarming. Any other people with similar experiences?
Sounds rather strange, have you ever seen anyone chase a cockroach away WITHOUT success !!!!!!!!!!! Trying to catch them without them running away is normally the issue.

If you show me a building in Bangkok without cockroaches I will show you a building that is not in Thailand.

10 million people stay here and one gets food poisoning , maybe from inside the hotel, it is not time to panic !
fdem and tomwhom like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Just wanted to wish Mr.Chapman a Happy New Year and a Very Good Health.

Last edited by UASPG; Jan 2, 2020 at 2:55 pm
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:07 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The hotel was on great form as always over the holiday season. Santa said hello to me during the Jazzy Brunch and I even got wished a merry Christmas by Mr Chapman himself.

On my last visit my only complaint was the Thai food was a bit bland, whereas this time it was flavourful and the nam tok neua (beef salad) at the Sala almost blew my head off with the spice level.

Looking forward to my next return visit.
HollyGlen likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The hotel was on great form as always over the holiday season. Santa said hello to me during the Jazzy Brunch and I even got wished a merry Christmas by Mr Chapman himself.

On my last visit my only complaint was the Thai food was a bit bland, whereas this time it was flavourful and the nam tok neua (beef salad) at the Sala almost blew my head off with the spice level.

Looking forward to my next return visit.
Which was more exciting? Being greeted by Santa or Chapman?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HollyGlen
Which was more exciting? Being greeted by Santa or Chapman?
Or was Santa actually Chapman?!

On a more serious note, SGS continues to be perhaps the best hotel in Marriott Bonvoy for me. I always use SGS as a benchmark when comparing with other properties and often when I find that other properties I stay at have shortcomings (e.g Ritz Carlton Kyoto this Christmas), it reminds me of my stays at SGS. To be more specific, when something minor goes wrong (in the rare case that it does), they’ll fix it immediately.

That’s why I was surprised about the food poisoning case. Just because only a few people got sick doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be taken seriously.

Anyway, glad to see people had a good time there during the festive period!
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.