Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Assume you are aware that you can ask for additional helpings?
Yes an additional helping of popcorn or coconut shavings certainly improves the offering - NOT
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you want a lounge-style buffet spread in the evening, don't stay here. Go to Athenee or any of the Marriotts.

Can we move on now?
Football Fan and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
SGS is great if you want drinks (alcoholic and fresh squeezed juices) during cocktail hour. If you want more than snacks, it's better to go to PA.

PA has superior food, extensive alcohol but no fresh squeezed juice. I try to do 60% PA, 30% SGS, 10% rotating to get a bit of everything
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ashkale
We all know the meaning of hors d'oeuvres, but these are hors d'oeuvres for a sparrow.
Originally Posted by estnet
Yes an additional helping of popcorn or coconut shavings certainly improves the offering - NOT
First there were no hors d'oeuvres. Then there were hors d'oeuvres, but they were too small. Now there are no hors d'oeuvres, just popcorn and coconut "shavings."

1. The hors d'oeuvres/canapés, which are served every night in all of the happy hour locations, are regular size. Same as are passed on trays at cocktail parties. They are different every night.
2. In addition to the hors d'oeuvres/canapés, the Living Room and the Sala also serve some dry snacks, which sometimes include Thai-spiced peanuts with holy basil, along with coconut chips, taro sticks and Japanese seaweed rice crackers.
3. In addition to the hors d'oeuvres/canapés, BarSu also serves popcorn.

You can have as many refills as you like of whatever is being served, just ask.

As mentioned upthread, hotels with executive lounges tend to have much more substantial food options, sometimes even meals. SGS does not have an executive lounge. For those for whom this is a significant factor in choosing a hotel, it sounds as though SGS probably isn't a good choice.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Apr 13, 2019 at 12:32 am Reason: Correct typos, grammar.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Global Services
Just completed an 11 night stay and probably around my 70th stay at the hotel. Love it. Regarding the food as recent posters have mentioned you get a set of canapés and dry snacks during the cocktail hours. I found during this stay vs. previous ones the staff were even more proactive in asking if you want more food when removing your finished plate. And sometimes I would have 4 to 5 rounds and it was not a problem - this was across BarSu, Sala and Living Room. The food was quite good but definitely not meant as a dinner buffet if that's what you seek.

Overall I find the hotel has really maintained it's high standards and service over the years. The BarSu cocktail hour is now 4 hours from 4 to 8pm which is quite incredible. BarSu lunch is not advertised to hotel guests as much as the much more expensive Orchid Cafe buffet (I am guessing they are going after the local business crowd) but it's amazing value - 190 baht (~$6 USD) salmon!

The hotel is currently making the transition to Marriott - during my stay in fact I saw SPG signage on the floor removed and presumably Bonvoy will come up in the future. Many of the same warm and friendly staff have stayed on for so long now. Any issues I have are very minor - such as removing coconut from the Sala during cocktail hour. Also second guest name is more strictly enforced during cocktail hour - in the past I would more easily be able to invite a local friend to join for a drink but now that name has to match what's in the system for them to enjoy my benefits.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by SHLTP
I try to do 60% PA, 30% SGS, 10% rotating to get a bit of everything
I've only stayed at PA once, many years ago. You might consider building LM into your rotation, at least once. I quite liked it; it's improved greatly since the arrival of the new GM.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:48 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by NJDesi27
Any issues I have are very minor - such as removing coconut from the Sala during cocktail hour. Also second guest name is more strictly enforced during cocktail hour - in the past I would more easily be able to invite a local friend to join for a drink but now that name has to match what's in the system for them to enjoy my benefits.
I didn’t pay for coconut at the Sala about a month ago, but I was ill for the week (not the hotel’s fault) and I think they were both being sweet as well as being relieved that I wasn’t drinking BarSu out of rum for a change.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:30 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by NJDesi27
Just completed an 11 night stay and probably around my 70th stay at the hotel. Love it. Regarding the food as recent posters have mentioned you get a set of canapés and dry snacks during the cocktail hours. I found during this stay vs. previous ones the staff were even more proactive in asking if you want more food when removing your finished plate. And sometimes I would have 4 to 5 rounds and it was not a problem - this was across BarSu, Sala and Living Room. The food was quite good but definitely not meant as a dinner buffet if that's what you seek.

Overall I find the hotel has really maintained it's high standards and service over the years. The BarSu cocktail hour is now 4 hours from 4 to 8pm which is quite incredible. BarSu lunch is not advertised to hotel guests as much as the much more expensive Orchid Cafe buffet (I am guessing they are going after the local business crowd) but it's amazing value - 190 baht (~$6 USD) salmon!

The hotel is currently making the transition to Marriott - during my stay in fact I saw SPG signage on the floor removed and presumably Bonvoy will come up in the future. Many of the same warm and friendly staff have stayed on for so long now. Any issues I have are very minor - such as removing coconut from the Sala during cocktail hour. Also second guest name is more strictly enforced during cocktail hour - in the past I would more easily be able to invite a local friend to join for a drink but now that name has to match what's in the system for them to enjoy my benefits.
This is why FT is great. Here you have someone with 32 posts in almost 10 years which comes out of the woodwork and posts his valuable feedback in the thread based on 70 stays in one specific hotel, far more than almost all of us. Thanks for contributing!
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by estnet
So Bar Su is the only venue in the hotel for evening happy hour?

"I went to KFC and couldn't get a steak." Yeah, no kidding. You want a steak, don't go to KFC.

How about trying one of the other venues in the hotel that DO offer more than popcorn or coconut shavings?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
So Bar Su is the only venue in the hotel for evening happy hour?

"I went to KFC and couldn't get a steak." Yeah, no kidding. You want a steak, don't go to KFC.

How about trying one of the other venues in the hotel that DO offer more than popcorn or coconut shavings?
Sorry but the pathetic "snacks" that are offered at the other venues aren't much better - most of them I can't eat b/c they contain ham or mayonnaise - and well there just aren't any choices.
I get that the offerings are not like having a lounge, but it used to be better. Making fun of a poster doesn't serve any useful purpose.
I think we have to agree to disagree (and if you remember the old Bar Su offerings just have sad memories of old times). I enjoy the SGS for reasons other than the happy hour - but it is clear that over the last few years options for status have become less and less (eg special breakfast allowing one order , half glass of sparkling wine instead of unlimited, etc.- still this is an option that other hotels don't even have). Note - this is really not any different than other hotels - the trend is surely to give less, but that doesn't mean those of us who remember the "good old times" don't lament loss!
Each of us has different values and make our choices - doesn't mean we have to not respect other peoples opinions!
ashkale and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I've only stayed at PA once, many years ago. You might consider building LM into your rotation, at least once. I quite liked it; it's improved greatly since the arrival of the new GM.
I have always liked the LM. Stayed there 5-6 times. Last time was 4 yrs ago, I think, as the carpets etc started to seem run down/ frayed. I will probably try again this summer as the rates are so good while PA has become quite expensive at times.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
I always have enjoyed the Living Room HH at the SGS. The ambiance is much better than most hotel lounges. The seating is comfortable, the alcohol is decent, the service is pleasant, and the music is an added bonus. I get that not everyone may like the music, or may expect more food like a lounge buffet. I have always felt relaxed there during Happy Hour. Too many other hotel lounges are overcrowded during happy hour times. The Living Room HH has been one of the reasons I appreciate the SGS.

The Living Room never promised to be a buffet lounge. It is nice that the SGS offers Happy Hour free flow drinks as a benefit to Plats(or higher) or to those who book a room that comes with HH. I don't enjoy HH at BarSu as much, however choices are good. I haven't tried too many Marriott/SPG lounges in BKK, however I thought the Happy Hour alcohol selection was better at the SGS than at the Athenee lounge.
Always Flyin and drron like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:47 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
In all my stays at the SGS I’ve never tried the Living Room happy hour - I should make a bit of an effort next time I go back. I’ve always found it hard to tear myself away from sundowners at Sala or pre-game drinking at BarSu.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by conde
I always have enjoyed the Living Room HH at the SGS.
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
In all my stays at the SGS I’ve never tried the Living Room happy hour - I should make a bit of an effort next time I go back.
The ladies who staff the Living Room are great - among my SGS favorites!
Football Fan and drron like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:22 pm

The butlers have new jackets .. they look great.

New LG TVs. (In all the rooms? Not sure. Richard mentioned this in December.)

Alaskan Salmon at Rossini's exec breakfast Sunday morning ...

Last edited by LIH Prem; Apr 14, 2019 at 9:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.