Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:12 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
$180 per night at SGS
Fo that difference, on aa one night stay, I’d go with St Regis. If you will enjoy happy hour and breakfast and have some down time, SGS. For deeper analysis I suggest you look at the discussion in the Bonvoy Marriott thread.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by estnet
IME the SGS in general has more "refined" clientele while the St Regis has more hi-so types.
SGS is almost two hotels in terms of clientele . . . there're are the regular guests (often return guests) who tend to be very sophisticated travelers. Then there are the one-time vistors, including particularly tour groups or meeting attendees. That's a different crowd entirely.
Originally Posted by estnet
I remember a couple of times where there were rather badly behaved hi-so types
Didn't say they couldn't be boorish, just higher-end boorish
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:22 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Agree with the above, though I noted on my most recent trip to the SGS there was increasingly a third type of traveler (possibly due to time of year, though shouldn't be overly so) of solid middle class independent Chinese tourist which made up a large proportion of all guests. As a lone traveler, these guests provided none of the annoyance of the Chinese tour groups (or indeed British backpackers and European sex tourists) which had taken over large parts of the hotel the last few times I was there.
tomwhom likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:35 am

Living Room appetizers and cocktails ...

Last edited by LIH Prem; Apr 21, 2019 at 9:48 am
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Living Room appetizers and cocktails ...
Did you have to use a macro for the appetizer pic?
LIH Prem and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
There have been a lot of great reviews for this hotel.

I have a choice between this and the St Regis. Which one would you choose?
The St Regis every time, especially with your deal. The SGS has a lot of fans, but it’s nowhere near as refined or classy an establishment as the St Regis, and the location is (only my view) more...seedy / less desirable. I prefer to be closer to Gaysorn village, Paragon, and enjoy a dinner at Madison (Anantara), a drink at the Waldorf bars etc, and also like to be able to go the opposite direction and be at Sathorn for work in 10 mins on the BTS. The St Regis also has a lot of new staff and managers, and service has been top notch throughout Feb to now. The Easter themed decorations are amazing! I’ve also had amazing suite upgrades from base rooms (including St Regis and Caroline Astor) and never not been upgraded to at least a Grand Deluxe. Always invited to the Champagne sabering, given lots of drinks vouchers, 8x laundry a day (2 guests)...although I will admit, I do stay a lot, and the staff know me by name, so I’m sure being a frequent and return guest paying the member rate is somewhat part of my experience. But, all that said, you can see from this forum that the SGS has rave reviews, so if you prefer the location and the added services, you should not be disappointed.

Last edited by EGW1; Apr 22, 2019 at 9:12 am
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Gave it another try, so thought it was worth updating. Probably not the place for me, but nice enough. Lobby/lifts felt quite old, room was tasteful and very clean, a bit old-fashioned for my preferences...no suites available. Bathroom was really nice, Thann products and rice soap included. Lovely fluffy robes and slippers. Comfy chair, good work desk. Room service food was ok, huge portions, but it did take 3 calls and roughly 45 mins to get some ice, not sure why. Laundry service was welcome. Overall service was fine and staff friendly. If I needed something at the 5k THB mark and I was on business only, I might consider it again, but corporate rates would make the W and Marquis cheaper, which I think work better for me.
LIH Prem likes this.

Last edited by EGW1; Apr 26, 2019 at 10:26 am
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: TG Plat, AF Lifetime Plat , QR plat , SPG Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by EGW1
Gave it another try, so thought it was worth updating. Probably not the place for me, but nice enough. Lobby/lifts felt quite old, room was tasteful and very clean, a bit old-fashioned for my preferences...no suites available. Bathroom was really nice, Thann products and rice soap included. Lovely fluffy robes and slippers. Comfy chair, good work desk. Room service food was ok, huge portions, but it did take 3 calls and roughly 45 mins to get some ice, not sure why. Laundry service was welcome. Overall service was fine and staff friendly. If I needed something at the 5k THB mark and I was on business only, I might consider it again, but corporate rates would make the W and Marquis cheaper, which I think work better for me.
Fair review.
The old fashioned charm of the SGS doesn't work for everyone. It does for an old fart like me. Old fashioned doesn’t mean obsolete, by the way . To each their own. With so many Bonvoy choices in Bangkok , that shouldn't be difficult .
drron and EGW1 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Wholehearted congratulations to Robert on his very recent promotion to Hotel Manager. I wish him every possible success in his new position. The promotion could not have gone to a nicer or more able guy.

Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Over the years, I think that I've stayed in every room type in this hotel, from the Presidential Suite to a small single, almost a day room, once for a few hours in between flights. My favorite room is the Rama Suite. Assuming that most readers have not stayed, I thought that I'd share this unusual room with you today. I booked in for a five night stay not too long ago.

The Rama Suite is on the 10th floor, on the back of the hotel facing the pool area, Benjakiti Park and lake, and, on the other side of the park the Queen Sirikit Convention Center.

When you walk into the room, you're in a small hallway with a slightly rough stone floor. (Once you leave this hallway area, the rest of the floors are teak, except in the bathroom, where they're marble.) Here's the view looking back towards the entrance door.

On the right as you walk in (on the left in the above photo) is a lavatory, what Americans call a half-bath. It's a bathroom with no tub or shower.

Looking from the entrance door in towards the room, there's a plant at the end of the hallway.

At the end of the hall, turn right and you'll see this desk/work area in front of you:

To the right of the desk, directly opposite the two steps into the rest of the suite, is a bar, including an espresso maker and a kettle for tea. IIRC the refrigerator is in one of the cabinets below.

Here's a view of the desk and bar area, so you can see them in relation to each other.

Turn around, walk up two steps, and you're in the living room.

Behind you is the large sleeping area with king bed, separated from the living room by an interesting piece of furniture. On one side is a good sized flat TV, and on the other a nice wood carving. The unit swivels so that the TV can face either the living room or the bedroom.

You can see it here. The entire interior portion of the unit swivels 180° with only the outside edge frame remaining stationary. (Taken from the bedroom.)

On the other side of the TV unit is the bedroom.

In the right photo, you can see a wall with a mirror. On both the left and right of that small wall are two steps down to the closet area where there are two large closets with sliding doors. One closet contains the safe. (Sorry, no photos of the closets.) Between the closets is the door into the bathroom. After you walk into the bathroom, you'll see two (separate) frosted glass doors on the left.

The first one opens to the little room with the toilet.

And the second opens into the shower.

(Note that there are both rain and hand spray shower heads.)

On the right as you enter the bathroom (opposite the toilet room) is the indoor jacuzzi.

And there are dual sinks.

Here's what the entire bathroom looks like, looking in from the doorway.

Both the living room and the bedroom have glass doors which open out to the outdoor garden. You can see them in pictures below. When you step outside, you're in a private garden area. There is a table and four chairs as well as a relaxing chair.

Then if you turn, you can see out to the garden, sun lounges and outdoor hot tub.

The garden is attended to daily, trimming done, etc. There are also three clay trays with flowers floating in water, which are replaced every few days.

You can see the garden primarily on the right, it's thick and lush.

At the end of the walkway is a Thai-style structure which contains the hot tub.

Walk up a few stairs, and you're there.

Looking across the hot tub back towards the room.

I usually set up my laptop on the outside table and work there. It's a private, delightful, relaxing and luxurious environment. The table can easily handle a dinner for four, if one is so inclined. I once entertained six people for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres in the living room, and it was lovely.

I think that this room can usually be had in the USD $850 per night range; but I don't believe that it can be booked through the website. You will have to call or email. (I used email.) There's only one like this, so if it's already booked, that's it. Sure, it may be a little expensive for Bangkok, but compared to similar rooms in the U.S.... Well, I've actually never seen a room like this in the U.S. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Apr 30, 2019 at 4:40 am
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:29 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Thanks for the detailed overview! I’ve always wanted to stay in that Suite. Hopefully one day I will.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:29 am

Thanks for the pics. I've not stayed in the Rama, I find it's the most often booked of the 10th floor specialty suites, likely due to the outdoor hot tub (which makes it unique among the three already unique 10th floor specialty suites).
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Wow, that's a gorgeous suite! I'll add it to my bucket list.

Thanks for sharing!
Old May 3, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: EVA. ACCOR
Thanks for sharing the detailed photo report. I will be able to experience the Rama Suite for 5 nights in October. Excellent job!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: free agent
I haven't been to this property for 2-3 years but remember generous benefits as SPG Platinum. I am thinking about burning my 7 night cat 5 certificate at this property but don't intend to stay whole 7 nights. Maybe 4-5 nights, it will be not an issue for management even final 1-3 night will be "throwaway nights"?.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.