Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2019, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
They've made some changes to the Rossini's menus, particularly Menu 1:

Personally, the new items don't really appeal to me, and I'm sorry to see the river prawn and crab omelette gone, but I suspect others will like the new items.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
If you're talking about happy hour benefit, it remains unlimited free drinks and unlimited appetizers.
Can confirm.
flyme2, LIH Prem and tomwhom like this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by Kacee
They've made some changes to the Rossini's menus, particularly Menu 1:

Personally, the new items don't really appeal to me, and I'm sorry to see the river prawn and crab omelette gone, but I suspect others will like the new items.

I would have a 4 night stay from next weekend and can't wait for the so much talked delicious crab meat omelette and then your post, bummer indeed!
EuropeanPete likes this.

Last edited by tomwhom; Oct 16, 2019 at 7:58 pm
Old Oct 4, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I’m checking in there today just for 2 nights. I don’t mind the new menu as my favourite, the Alaskan salmon, is on both of them. Pre-upgraded to Luxury Suite with SNA, which will be nice but actually this hotel is still great with a suite.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I tried the mushroom truffle omelette this morning. Very rich but I'd recommend. My partner had the shrimp wonton. It was good but nothing special.

Learned today that they rotate the menus every two days. I had thought it was weekly.
LIH Prem and unclepants like this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 11:13 pm

Just checked in and although the Luxury Suite is nice in an old understated luxury kind of way, it’s basically a corridor, extra toilet and small living area added into the bedroom. I wouldn’t get overly excited (or disappointed if you don’t get it!) - it’s everything else about the hotel that does it for me. The pool, butler service (St Regis style), Rossini’s breakfast, ability to have drinks in the main areas of the hotel and mix with other guests rather than being forced into a lounge, walkway to Terminal 21 (great when there’s traffic or if it rains and you want to shop, dine or catch a movie at Terminal 21) and the laundry benefit. They also recorded correctly that this is my 3rd stay, which I assume means they take loyalty for this particular hotel seriously.

And the handwritten welcome note from Mr. Chapman!
Old Oct 5, 2019, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Unless my free CC night posts in the next couple days, going to miss the SGS for a first time in a decade on my trip in favor of the HR more or less across the street...will make for an interesting comparison. Less "resort-like" I'm sure but also new is nice.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by yorkboy24
Just checked in
lol I must have just missed you, checked out about an hour ago. At the Waldorf now, where I have a very nice Astor Suite but miss the warmth and friendliness of SGS staff already.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 1:40 am

lol I must have just missed you, checked out about an hour ago. At the Waldorf now, where I have a very nice Astor Suite but miss the warmth and friendliness of SGS staff already.
Oh well! I just spent a few hours working in the business centre. Now I can enjoy the pool a bit. Enjoy your suite!
Old Oct 5, 2019, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
Just checked in and although the Luxury Suite is nice in an old understated luxury kind of way, it’s basically a corridor, extra toilet and small living area added into the bedroom.
If you're talking about the xx02 suites (I can never remember which suites are called Luxury and which are called Grande), another major (at least major for me) difference is that the shower is rectangular and significantly larger than the pentagonal shower in normal rooms and the xx12 suites.

At the Waldorf now, where I have a very nice Astor Suite but miss the warmth and friendliness of SGS staff already.
There is, of course, an easy way to remedy that next time you're in the city!!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 7:40 am

If you're talking about the xx02 suites (I can never remember which suites are called Luxury and which are called Grande), another major (at least major for me) difference is that the shower is rectangular and significantly larger than the pentagonal shower in normal rooms and the xx12 suites.

There is, of course, an easy way to remedy that next time you're in the city!!
I’m in a ##02 suite which is the luxury suite because there’s a small sign outside indicating this. Yes the shower is slightly bigger with even a place to sit so that might be preferred by some. I do feel that the corridor is a waste of space and perhaps it could have been designed better. Nonetheless, I stand by my comments that obtaining a suite is not a major deal breaker here as everything is great without it.
drron, Dr. HFH and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 6:14 pm

Learned today that they rotate the menus every two days. I had thought it was weekly.
I thought it was 1st and 15th or something like that. Regardless every 2 days is new and different.

They present one printed menu with both menus on it? If they do, I wonder if that leads to some disappointment.

What about those french oysters? They are cooking them???

-David
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
They present one printed menu with both menus on it? If they do, I wonder if that leads to some disappointment.
Single menu for ordering. The double menu is the big one outside the front door.
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
What about those french oysters? They are cooking them???
You'll have to check it out and let us know
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
I plan to try the 9-course summer Chef taste dinner tonight at Basil which also has another 7-course dinner. Is the seven-course set scale down version of 7-course? We have two person so two sets and love to try as much dishes as possible and don’t want to be too full for healthy purpose:-) A fews weeks ago I had a FHR Italian set dinner at St. Regis starting at 6PM, very delicious but very full. I really hope dinner time at 5 star hotels in Bangkok starts 5pm instead of 6pm.

BTW, I saw one tripadvisor review claimed 30%, discount is this true due to Bonvoy's Asia Pacific food promotion? I know Platinum normally gets 20% discount at Bonvoy.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by tomwhom
I plan to try the 9-course summer Chef taste dinner tonight at Basil which also has another 7-course dinner. Is the seven-course set scale down version of 7-course?
Typically, yes (i.e., the nine course dinner with two courses removed); although I haven't tried this particular one yet.

Originally Posted by tomwhom
I really hope dinner time at 5 star hotels in Bangkok starts 5pm instead of 6pm.
As you've undoubtedly found out by now, Basil opens at 1800.
tomwhom likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 12:42 pm

Typically, yes (i.e., the nine course dinner with two courses removed); although I haven't tried this particular one yet.

As you've undoubtedly found out by now, Basil opens at 1800.
We went to dine at Basil tonight at 6PM sharp and we were the first. You are right regarding the seven course set. We chose one nine course set and other non-set dishes like steamed fish. One free drink from the Plat. cocktail menu per guest provided in Basil to pair your meal which is very nice and Plat gets 20% off the total price. As for the food, actually not our taste, more like fusion rather than pure Thai. The service is top notch and I like the way they present food. Overall a nice dinner and probably I won’t come back for the set dinner may try other non set dishes. I would rate service 5, food 3.5, atmosphere 5. I thought the ROS Royal Thai dinner set is much better.

By the way, this morning after breakfast at Rossini, one serving lady asked my feedback for the breakfast, I told her many Bonvoy elites so love the original prawn crab meat omelet and wish we can get that menu more frequently:-), she promised she would report my feedback to her manager.
LIH Prem and Kacee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.