Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:22 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Good info, but IIRC the C&E trains are barely a block to the East and the 1 train is even closer to the North of the Soho Four Points
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: Biggly ones everywhere
Smile NYC = No Deals

I've stayed everywhere but the new Chatwal(?) Expect *no* deals in NYC, it is pay, pay, pay everywhere, and they will suck the tips out of you, so handle your own luggage. Rooms are small everywhere and expensive everywhere. Stay where you want to, but beware W are especially small and the W hotels are generally noisy. This reviewer is somewhat biased by living near enough to NYC to go there often and truly dread going there. I really must say that I hate NYC. So caveat emptor, I suppose ...

Last edited by redanman; Jul 10, 2014 at 8:22 am Reason: spelling correction
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by redanman
I've stayed everywhere but the new Chatwal(?) Expect *no* deals in NYC, it is pay, pay, pay everywhere, and they will suck the tips out of you, so handle your own luggage. Rooms are small everywhere and expensive everywhere. Stay where you want to, but beware W are especially small and the W hotels are generally noisy. This reviewer is somewhat biased by living near enough to NYC to go there often and truly dread going there. I really must say that I hate NYC. So caveat emptor, I suppose ...
I do not agree with your statement that "Rooms are small everywhere".

The smallest room at W Times Square is 288 sq ft and the smallest room at The Westin Times Square is 310 sq ft. I've stayed in both with no problems.

Yes, there are some small Starwood rooms in NYC such as the W New York with a 150 sq ft room!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Marriott Gold
Thumbs up

I am running the NYC Marathon on Nov 2, and need a hotel for Oct 31-Nov 3.
The pick up in the morning is at the New York Public Library (W 42nd St and 5th Ave), and the finish line is in Central Park West, at around W 66th St.

Id like to stay in a Starwood Property, either near the pick up in the morning or the finish line. My main concern is comfort as I will really need a good night's sleep (Ill be a nervous wreck) before the race, and to recover after.

Can you guys recommend any property? I have been eyeing the Westin Grand Central, but haven't stayed in any of the starwood properties in NYC and would love to hear your advice

Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: UAL GS. AA 2MM
I have stayed at the Westin Grand Central and was very happy. Room was big for NY (you will have space to stretch), the bed was comfortable, shower was great, and plenty of places to eat nearby.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: SPG Plat; OneWorld Emerald; *A Gold
Westin Grand Central is nice. I've had friends get less than ideal rooms, small beds on low floor, but I usually have a good experience there. Perfect location for your pickup too
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by DHAST
I hate to say this, but there's so many properties in NYC and you've given us very little to go on. You're asking if the W NY TS is a decent deal on C&P but then say that the "point value" at the Aloft Harlem is "low." This suggests you have some idea of what your points are worth, but then you have to ask (without telling us what the cash rates are) if the W NY TS is a decent deal?

The W NY TS is a decent deal on C&P if the cash rate for the night is over $430, and great value at over $480. Also keep in mind that SPG gives you a 5th night free on points.

If you've never been to NYC, keep in mind that the Aloft Harlem is at roughly 125th st, north of Central Park. The south end of Central Park (where the tourist sites are) is at about 60th. Some things are worth the schlep, but advice I've been given up thread suggests that for a first timer, the Aloft Harlem isn't. (Not when there are other category 5 options south of Central Park.)

Few SPG members find Category 6 & 7 properties to be a good value on straight points. For me to redeem at a Category 6 property on straight points, the off season rate needs to be more expensive than $600/night (giving me a value of 3 cpp) or $750 during peak season. It's rare to find those valuations.

So I guess what you're asking is whether or not you should stay at the W NY TS for 10,000 points + $180, or find a Category 5 hotel at 12,000 points. I've stayed at the W NY TS, and it's a fine property and all, but you've got to decide (if you're going for five nights) if you want to part with 50,000 points + $1000 (you'll have to pay taxes on the cash portion, so I'm estimating here) or a straight 48,000 points.

When you look at it like that, you're saving both points (although 2,000 is negligible) but also $1k in cash. I'd have a hard time forking over both more points and more cash. But that's just me.

You say you don't mind taking the subway, but keep in mind the costs in both money and time. Also realize that the further out you're staying from the city center, the more likely it is that you will only use the hotel for sleeping and not return to it during the day. It's one thing to take subway for 10 minutes to get to a tourist site, but when you're closer to 30 minutes away, it starts really cutting into your day.

I realize I've rambled a bit, but your post basically says, "I want to go to NYC on SPG points, where do I stay?" The answer is way too open ended.
As a resident, there are plenty of "tourist" sites to see in Harlem alone, not to mention the upper westside.

I do agree that you may want to provide more information as to what you may want to do so we can give you choices that may not require so much transit time.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:15 pm

Chatwal!!!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
My spouse was lucky enough to be targeted for a "Earn up to Two Free Night Awards" for two paid stays. We are planning to use one of the free nights in NYC in September, but can't decide on which hotel. Free night can be in a category 1-6 hotel, so obviously we want to use it for a cat 6. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Starwoods
Just a quick question about some dates in NYC. I am looking for a place for 3 nights (August 4-7) and the prices are quiet inflated (even for NYC!) I paid $299 for the W times square 2 months ago. I just looked and these are the prices quoted (per night, no taxes incl.)

W TS - 422
Chatwal - 595
Westin - 479
4 Pts Midtown - 400
Le Parker Meridian - 499
St. Regis - 745
W NY - 359
Westin GC - 502
4 PTS Chelsea - 346
W Union Sq - 492
4 PTS SOHO - 342

Does it seem strange that the 4 PTS are priced in line with the W hotels? I have been to NYC many times and have not encountered this before. Wondering if this is the "new normal"?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 1George
Just a quick question about some dates in NYC. I am looking for a place for 3 nights (August 4-7) and the prices are quiet inflated (even for NYC!) I paid $299 for the W times square 2 months ago. I just looked and these are the prices quoted (per night, no taxes incl.)

W TS - 422
Chatwal - 595
Westin - 479
4 Pts Midtown - 400
Le Parker Meridian - 499
St. Regis - 745
W NY - 359
Westin GC - 502
4 PTS Chelsea - 346
W Union Sq - 492
4 PTS SOHO - 342

Does it seem strange that the 4 PTS are priced in line with the W hotels? I have been to NYC many times and have not encountered this before. Wondering if this is the "new normal"?
Rates of NYC Starwood hotels vary heavily with events and demand. I'm actually going to NYC during the Aug 4-7 timeframe. I'll be paying less than any of the rates you quoted, but I'm also staying longer.

When I looked at this yesterday, I found that the week of Aug 4-7 is more expensive than the week before. Sometimes, you can get better rates with the Z*H promo codes, but they don't work if you arrive on a Monday.

I've also noticed that rates are sometimes hideously expensive if you book way in advance. Who in their right mind would pay $800/night for a regular room, booked months in advance?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Hi all,

Looking for a cheaper hotel for after I land at JFK 11:45pm. I leave 7pm next evening.

I would prefer to take public transport than taxi given cost, unless the price is not THAT different.

Current cheaper SPG options are:

Aloft New York Brooklyn - 119
Four Points by Sheraton Long Island City/Queensboro Bridge - 119
Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea - 149
Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel - 149
The Westin New York at Times Square - 161
The Westin New York Grand Central - 164
W New York (Lexington) - 172
Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square - 175
Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village - 175
Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel - 176

Since I'd go straight to bed and spend the day in Manhattan, and given I'm Plat, I'd want to optimise for
a) ease of arriving that time of night (again, not sure I want to spend a lot on a taxi; am comfortable sitting on a metro but less so walking many blocks at night)
b) comfort
c) breakfast
d) overall Plat experience (bearing in mind outside Manhattan, I'd probably leave in the morning and not return - unless it's easy to drop by when returning Manhattan to JFK)

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Where are you getting those rates and for what date?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Where are you getting those rates and for what date?
I would like to know that answer also. Those are unbelievable rates for NYC.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
They're all from spg.com for the night I have in NY next month...

I guess it's just a slow day, though a few of the rates have changed since I posted that - The Westin NY at Times Square is up to 224, and the Element NY Times Square West is down to 194.

Any help on my question before I tell exact dates and all the availability disappears?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.