Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: Qatar Plat
IMO, the St. Regis is the only correct answer.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I'm at the Westin Grand Central now. The rooms are very big for NYC. Especially when compared to the W or the Sheraton TriBeCa. There's plenty of closet space including room to store a suitcase or two. There's a sitting area with a couch and chair in addition to the desk area. If you're in NYC for more than a few nights it's a very good choice, especially for the price.

Obviosily the St Regis is 3x better but it's also 3x the price.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
I'm at the Westin Grand Central now. The rooms are very big for NYC. Especially when compared to the W or the Sheraton TriBeCa. There's plenty of closet space including room to store a suitcase or two. There's a sitting area with a couch and chair in addition to the desk area. If you're in NYC for more than a few nights it's a very good choice, especially for the price.

Obviosily the St Regis is 3x better but it's also 3x the price.
^ My thoughts exactly! Hope you have a great trip.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Hmm. I'll be in NYC next month for the first time as a tourist. Will be there from 17-22 Oct. Currently booked at the Sheraton Times Square but recent posts have indicated that the Westin Grand Central might be a better choice? Can anyone chime in? Thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I think the WGC is a nicer hotel by a measurable margin. However as a tourist you may prefer the Sheraton location. I used to live in NYC and find the WGC location to be pretty good and wouldn't recommend against it but I don't know how a first time visitor would find it. Is there a price differnece?

I haven't stayed at the Sheraton TS so hopefully someone will post a better comparison. I do think the large room at the Westin is a major plus.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
Even as a tourist, I preferred the WGC. I visited Times Square after seeing a Broadway show and, while it was interesting, I was glad I didn't stay there. TS is packed with tourists and creepy guys dressed up as Sesame Street characters.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by rooivalk
Hmm. I'll be in NYC next month for the first time as a tourist. Will be there from 17-22 Oct. Currently booked at the Sheraton Times Square but recent posts have indicated that the Westin Grand Central might be a better choice? Can anyone chime in? Thanks!
Originally Posted by missxmelon
Even as a tourist, I preferred the WGC. I visited Times Square after seeing a Broadway show and, while it was interesting, I was glad I didn't stay there. TS is packed with tourists and creepy guys dressed up as Sesame Street characters.
I used to use Priceline a lot and have probably stayed in more than 25 different NY hotels and 6 NY Starwood properties. I really like the location of the Sheraton TS and have stayed there 5 times. I too would not want to stay in Times Square. While TS is close by you are not in it. I like using the SPG lounge for the freebies, the view and relaxing. While the rooms are cozy I always get used to it quickly. When I stay in other locations I always buy a weekly metro card but don't at the Sheraton TS as it is so quick to walk to Columbus Circle, Central Park, MOMA, 5th Avenue, Rockefeller and yes Times Square/theatres. I have not stayed at the Westin GC but when I stayed nearby I always wished I was back around the Sheraton TS, Parker Meridian...
If the Westin ever costs less points than the Sheraton I am sure I would give it a try.
That's my opinion but hope it helps in your decision.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
I have stayed at all the Starwood hotels in NYC many times, from the St. Regis to W Union sq.......and in between. Right now the least expensive using points is Sheraton Times Sg and Westin Grand Central, both at 12,000 points. Don't forget four nights will get you five nights using 48,000 points. Also, if you pay cash there are sometimes weekend deals (3 nights for 2 paid). I prefer Westin Grand over Sheraton Times Sq. Rooms are nicer, public transportation excellent and unless going to theatre every night...Westin better choice. If you do go to theatre, bus on 42nd st going straight to hotel. Its also a safe walk, as a solo mature woman, I have walk from theatre many nights! Have fun in my 2nd favorite city (Paris..1st) Safe travels!
Old Sep 14, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I realise I'm going against the tide here, but I quite like staying near Times Square, mostly because it's a convenient midtown location. It's easy to get around with so many subway lines to choose from.

I go to NYC about 4 weeks a year for business. My office is on the A subway line, so staying on the east side would be inconvenient for me. I usually stay at the Element, which is a few blocks away from Times Square (8th Ave and 39th St). The staff at the Element have always treated me well. I love the rooms and always get a high floor room with views of Manhattan.

The trick with Times Square is to avoid the tourists. Don't use the underground subway passages, go directly to the subway you want to use. Times Square is only busy about a street in each direction. I probably go to Times Square about once per stay, mostly to buy toys at ToysR'Us. The rest of the time, I avoid Times Square.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:53 am

Just got back from NY. Stayed at the St Regis and W NY Times Square. St Regis is hands down the better hotel. We waited 3 hours for our room and got upgraded to a Royal suite with breakfast in room. Only hiccup was that they lost our bags and it took almost an hour of me walking around with a bell boy to find them. That aside, it was really a wonderful hotel.

I personally dislike W's dim lighting and I had trouble with the lifts. Room was a decent size but toilet was rather cramp. And Times Square is just mad.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
I was at the WGC this weekend (second visit, I believe, but first since reno was complete) and have to agree the location is way way better than the TS properties. Times Square is simply the worst.

But, the Westin TS is across the street from the office when I'm in town, so I end up there (as I am this week) or at the W TS.

Sheraton TriBeCa is a good spot too, but the elevators are sloooooww. Amazing view of the city though. Definitely worth grabbing a drink in the lounge.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Hanging my question in here...I will be coming to the NYC-area for outlet-shopping mostly (Woodbury Commons, Reading-PA, Jersey Gardens Mall...) but am traveling with a friend who never has been to NYC and wants to see the city on one day. We will arrive around 2 pm on a Friday and leave Monday evening around 9 pm both into and out of EWR.

Considering the location of the outlets my first take was to stay outside the city itself somewhere in NJ and then use public transport for the one day we will allocate to sightseeing. I even thought about going out as far as Edison or even Princeton, but then found a good BRG-opportunity for the Westin Jersey City Newport and booked that - will this be a good location given my intentions as mentioned above? Or should I take the plunge into New York City and pick-up/drop-off the rental car daily when we need one...? If so, what property would you suggest that is convenient traffic-wise to both a car-rental location and the trip to New Jersey?

Thanks everyone for your opinions...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:37 am
Formerly known as iahsumr

Westin Times Square is a very convenient location from a subway point of view. They are also upgrading rooms, so some of the rooms are freshly redone. Some aren't finished yet, but all are above average in size. Westin Grand Central rooms also a decent size and another location right on the subway.

Trying out St. Regis later this year myself, but obviously a pricier selection either on points or likely on cash. Both of the Westin properties were fine and they did not have the teeny tiny rooms you sometimes hit in NYC.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Best value for free Cat 6

Hello. I would like to use a couple of free night certs that are only good for
Cat 6 or under - so Saint Regis is off the table.

What would be the best reommendation for getting as much out of the cert as possible? My priority is luxurious property, more classy and traditional than hip and trendy. But not at the expense of being run down, if that makes sense.

I am gold but don't care about breakfast. Location is not too important as I will be visiting friends and will take a cab most places. I will be at Saint Patrick's each morning for Mass so nearby would be a bonus.

Thanks so much for any thoughts.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by djohannw
Hanging my question in here...I will be coming to the NYC-area for outlet-shopping mostly (Woodbury Commons, Reading-PA, Jersey Gardens Mall...) but am traveling with a friend who never has been to NYC and wants to see the city on one day. We will arrive around 2 pm on a Friday and leave Monday evening around 9 pm both into and out of EWR.

Considering the location of the outlets my first take was to stay outside the city itself somewhere in NJ and then use public transport for the one day we will allocate to sightseeing. I even thought about going out as far as Edison or even Princeton, but then found a good BRG-opportunity for the Westin Jersey City Newport and booked that - will this be a good location given my intentions as mentioned above? Or should I take the plunge into New York City and pick-up/drop-off the rental car daily when we need one...? If so, what property would you suggest that is convenient traffic-wise to both a car-rental location and the trip to New Jersey?

Thanks everyone for your opinions...

Greetings - Dirk
There are buses from NYC to the outlet malls. One of them leaves from the Port Authority Bus Terminal on 8th and 40th. The Westin Times Square and the Element are next door and the rest of the Times Square properties are nearby.

The bus trip is something like $40 return per person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.