Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite
boognish24, redanman & Quasiconvexity: Thank you very much for your extensive feedback! ^ ^

I narrowed my choice down to either the Le Parker or W Hoboken...right now I'm holding a reservation for both hotels and trying to decide Location-wise the Le Parker seems to be perfect, I'm just worried because of the negative feedback in the master thread.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by zemb
boognish24, redanman & Quasiconvexity: Thank you very much for your extensive feedback! ^ ^

I narrowed my choice down to either the Le Parker or W Hoboken...right now I'm holding a reservation for both hotels and trying to decide Location-wise the Le Parker seems to be perfect, I'm just worried because of the negative feedback in the master thread.
Part of the beauty of NYC for me is the ability to walk to many places of interest. For that reason, Hoboken, regardless of how nice it is and how connected via the PATH, is not NYC.

As to the other properties of which you inquired: While probably all residents of the city, including my son, loathe the Times Square area I find it just fine for a visit for me and my wife. No I wouldn't want to live there. Times Square provides, for the visitor/tourist in me, a level of energy not found elsewhere in the city. We visit NYC about four times each year and stay in the Times Square area at least three times each year.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:47 am

deleted

Last edited by zemb; Aug 24, 2014 at 1:23 pm
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:23 pm

Originally I was convinced about staying at the W Hoboken, because of the great reviews of the hotel. But you guys are correct: being in NY as a visitor (one of use never has been in NY) – we definitely should chose a hotel in the city.

Now I’m trying to decide between the Westin Grand Central and the Westin Times Square. The Westin TS seems to be the nice property, but the Westin Grand Central is much cheaper (100.000 points vs. 60.000 points for six nights). Is it really worth paying the difference of 40.000 points?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Do you have lots of points? Are you going to be going to a lot of theater?

We really liked the Westin Times Square but this time we don't have enough points so are "settling" for the Westin Grand Central. There doesn't necessarily seem to be anything radically wrong with it, you can get anywhere from there, too. It was renovated when Westin took it over from Helmsley.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Do you have lots of points? Are you going to be going to a lot of theater?

We really liked the Westin Times Square but this time we don't have enough points so are "settling" for the Westin Grand Central. There doesn't necessarily seem to be anything radically wrong with it, you can get anywhere from there, too. It was renovated when Westin took it over from Helmsley.
No, we are not going to be going to a lot of theater...before we go to NY we'll be in Boston for two nights staying either at the Liberty or W. Combinded with the 6 nights in NY, this costs a ton of points (total: 132.000 if we are going with the Westin TS or 92.000 if we are going with the Grand Central). Spending 132.000 would set my balance back to just 20.000

Being from Germany, we don't have any credit card options to build up a lot of points fast. Therefore I'm thinking about saving the 40.000 points and rather spend them on some really great beach properties in the next Asia holiday...especially as we won't spend much time in the hotel room in NY
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by zemb
Originally I was convinced about staying at the W Hoboken, because of the great reviews of the hotel. But you guys are correct: being in NY as a visitor (one of use never has been in NY) – we definitely should chose a hotel in the city.

Now I’m trying to decide between the Westin Grand Central and the Westin Times Square. The Westin TS seems to be the nice property, but the Westin Grand Central is much cheaper (100.000 points vs. 60.000 points for six nights). Is it really worth paying the difference of 40.000 points?
I prefer the Westin Times Square but if you are not going to a couple of plays/musicals then go for the Westin Grand Central. We have stayed at both and the Westin Grand Central is fine especially considering it is the better value for points. As Eujeanie said, everything is easily accessible from either location.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
I would save the points and stay at the Westin Grand Central. I made the same choice last year and really enjoyed my stay. I got upgraded to a suite, which was quite spacious. Breakfast is spartan, but you're in NYC (foodie city!), so your time is better spent finding a good restaurant to eat at.

And like everyone else has said, you can still get to everything very easily. I went to see Rock of Ages, and let me tell you...it's really not that hard to get to Times Square. Just because you're going to a theater doesn't mean you have to stay in Times Square.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:52 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by missxmelon
I would save the points and stay at the Westin Grand Central. I made the same choice last year and really enjoyed my stay. I got upgraded to a suite, which was quite spacious. Breakfast is spartan, but you're in NYC (foodie city!), so your time is better spent finding a good restaurant to eat at.
+1

The Westin Grand Central is not the world's best hotel, but neither are any other Starwood hotels in the city - with the possible exception of the St Regis (and the W Union Square on a good day). It's perfectly good enough, and much better points value than most others.

An alternative at the 12K points mark is the Sheraton Tribeca which has a rooftop lounge for those in Club rooms/ Plat people - which I'm off to check out for the first time in about an hour.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM. SPG Platinum. Hyatt Diamond. National Exec. Southwest A+ & CP.
I have a leisure trip with friends to New York weekend of Oct. 18 to see Above and Beyond at the Madison Square Garden and am thinking of booking a room at the Sheraton Times Square.

I know they have lounge so it'll be useful to get the free breakfast for the group but does anyone have any other recommendations?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Which Starwood hotels would be the best for 2 adults and one baby (7months, ideally sleeping in a crib) at following prices:
- Westin Grand Central 203$ (incl. taxes)
- Parker Méridien 290$ (incl. taxes) + 2000 points (BRG bonus)
- Sheraton Tribeca 191$ (incl. taxes) + 2000 points (BRG bonus)
W NY (Lexington) is also in the 200-300$ range but I don't think it's the best hotel to go with a young baby (no place for a crib in the smaller room)
We arrive in LGA and leave from EWR the day after so we look at Manhattan hotels (excluding Harlem and downtown).

Thanks
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Which Starwood hotels would be the best for 2 adults and one baby (7months, ideally sleeping in a crib) at following prices:
- Westin Grand Central 203$ (incl. taxes)
- Parker Méridien 290$ (incl. taxes) + 2000 points (BRG bonus)
- Sheraton Tribeca 191$ (incl. taxes) + 2000 points (BRG bonus)
W NY (Lexington) is also in the 200-300$ range but I don't think it's the best hotel to go with a young baby (no place for a crib in the smaller room)
We arrive in LGA and leave from EWR the day after so we look at Manhattan hotels (excluding Harlem and downtown).

Thanks
Of the properties listed, The Westin Grand Central will have the largest rooms which will be helpful in accommodating the crib.

Are you planning on doing anything your one night in NYC?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by controller1
Of the properties listed, The Westin Grand Central will have the largest rooms which will be helpful in accommodating the crib.

Are you planning on doing anything your one night in NYC?
This is more a stopover between Canada and Europe but we will try to do a couple of things yes... As I've been in NYC around 10 times already it will just be a first time visit for the baby
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:47 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
is october the high season in NYC?

i found only very high rates (~400$ a night taxes and fees included) at almost every hotels.

now i'm considering Park Hyatt instead (~650$ a nights taxes and fees included after BRG discount)
Old Sep 5, 2014, 5:45 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
We've had 2 great stays at the Tribeca, but the rooms we had are too small for a crib

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.