Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2013, 7:40 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Flews
Sure. All of these properties - Sheraton, Chatwal, Westin(s) - are within walking distance of each other. BTW, if you can afford it, the Chatwell is the best of the bunch.

Cheers,
I know it is great. I've stayed there. Which will be easiest for returning a rental car upon arrival and picking one up at the end of the stay?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I know it is great. I've stayed there. Which will be easiest for returning a rental car upon arrival and picking one up at the end of the stay?
Do let me know which one you picked in the end, and how it went!
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by rooivalk
Booked the Westin Times Square and using SNA to get into a Jr. Suite which will have a sofa bed. This way we can avoid two rooms. A bit worried that they pop up on the bed bug registry. Hrm...

As an aside, keeping a rental for a week, plus parking, ends up cheaper than returning upon arrival and then picking another up.

Booked Fuerza Bruta and now looking into the rest of the stuff people have mentioned.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 5:57 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Booked the Westin Times Square and using SNA to get into a Jr. Suite which will have a sofa bed. This way we can avoid two rooms. A bit worried that they pop up on the bed bug registry. Hrm...

As an aside, keeping a rental for a week, plus parking, ends up cheaper than returning upon arrival and then picking another up.

Booked Fuerza Bruta and now looking into the rest of the stuff people have mentioned.
Every hotel in NYC pops up on the bed bug registry.

I've stayed at this property at least 30 times in the past 10 years and haven't seen any bugs.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Every hotel in NYC pops up on the bed bug registry.

I've stayed at this property at least 30 times in the past 10 years and haven't seen any bugs.
Thanks! My sister brought some home from NOLA (not SPG) and it has been a nightmare.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:36 am

BUMP :-::-:

Any new insights to this topic?
For those who are familiar with NYC starwood hotels, which is your pick (particularly if you’re an elite?)
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: STARWOOD PLAT, LT GOLD,WN A-LIST PREFERRED, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE
Nyc family of 5 ?????

Do any of the hotels have room for 5 per reservation. Two are under 10 and just wondering if any of the Hotels have Double bed with Sofa. Obviuosly planning a family trip in the spring. Might need two rooms just trying to do some adavnce planning.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 2:47 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, RA, QF Gold, UA 1K
NYC Starwood properties [Master Thread]

I am planning to go to New York on NYE... Since I will be using points and the platinum 35% off. Which hotel should I pick during that period? Cat 7 is out....
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by yucci18
I am planning to go to New York on NYE... Since I will be using points and the platinum 35% off. Which hotel should I pick during that period? Cat 7 is out....
It depends on whether or not location matters to you. If you're wanting to be close to the NYE action then I'd pick something near Times Square or even Grand Central.

If location doesn't matter then I would look at the W Union Square. I like the hotel, the rooms are nice and the location makes it easy to get just about anywhere in the city.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by rooivalk
In the end we stayed at the Westin Times Square. It worked out very well. I'll post some more details in the Master Thread.

Thanks for the advice all!
Old Oct 17, 2013, 11:56 pm

I am looking for 2 hotel rooms for Nov 28 - Dec 2, for 2 couples. We want to shop and go to shows and just generally enjoy ourselves!

The best rates seem so be the W Lexington or the Westin Grand Central.
Any thoughts on which way to go?
Or any tips on how to work the best deals for these dates?

Interestingly, the Westin GC is about $25 less on hotels.com than the best listed rate on spg - is there any price matching to be had?
Old Oct 18, 2013, 12:42 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tarnator
Interestingly, the Westin GC is about $25 less on hotels.com than the best listed rate on spg - is there any price matching to be had?
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/index.html

Flyertalk discussion is here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html
Old Oct 18, 2013, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by tarnator
I am looking for 2 hotel rooms for Nov 28 - Dec 2, for 2 couples. We want to shop and go to shows and just generally enjoy ourselves!

The best rates seem so be the W Lexington or the Westin Grand Central.
Any thoughts on which way to go?
Or any tips on how to work the best deals for these dates?

There should be a fair bit of commentary on these threads about both properties. A lot of us have given up on the W Lex.

I also think the Grand Central may be a bit better located for the things you want to do.

Cheers,
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Flews
There should be a fair bit of commentary on these threads about both properties. A lot of us have given up on the W Lex.

I also think the Grand Central may be a bit better located for the things you want to do.

Cheers,
Thanks guys,
I will read the promo thread and likely book the Grand Central!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: Biggly ones everywhere
I hate New York City. All the rooms are closets. NEVER take a car to the city. I have to go several times yearly ...

That said:

All the SPG properties in my experience are better than all the other chains & several luxury models as far as the attacking tip-seeking staff. Absolute worst is W-A - avoid at all costs unless you have a convention, even then consider the W Lex, consider paying up to $40 -50 more for the W across the street.

Westin Times Square is a value for money location - not on the TS with all the garbage that goes on there and much proximity to mid-town shopping, etc. MY PICK for value

Parker Meridien - schizophrenic - have had very large room twice, but generally rooms are rather small, location is great. Public lobby is a nuisance especially since they put in a cash cow coffee shop in the walkway. Has gone way down in my opinion over last 15 years. 15 years ago, it was first choice. Roll of the dice now, even with status.

W Lex is quiet, teeny rooms, dark, unappealing to me. Expensive. All W's are 20.000/night - go 10.000 more to the St Regis.

W Times Square is probably my W pick, I usually get a very high floor and a view of some sort. Restaurant is superb breakfast or dinner. Book on Open Table.

Element - surprisingly bigish room, surprisingly real shower pressure. Great if you use the bus (I do, no train serice from hometown) and/or go to theatre

4 Points next door, small but reasonable, location not so hot, prefer Element

St. Regis - 30.000-35.000 points or a bloody fortune. You do get a butler, free pressing of suits, etc.. World-class breakfast & Bar, restaurant monumental disappointment and absurd wine pricing. Take taxi to Daniel.

Will gladly answer questions if I can, staying at new Chatwal (Luxury Collection) next visit.

Last edited by redanman; Dec 30, 2013 at 10:51 am Reason: additions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.