Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by typical
They're all from spg.com for the night I have in NY next month...

I guess it's just a slow day, though a few of the rates have changed since I posted that - The Westin NY at Times Square is up to 224, and the Element NY Times Square West is down to 194.

Any help on my question before I tell exact dates and all the availability disappears?
I've stayed at both the Westin Grand Central and the Westin Times Square. Both are very comfortable and easily reached via MTA. The breakfast at the Westin Times Square is MUCH better than Grand Central. At Times Square you will get a full breakfast at Shula's Steakhouse.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Since you only have one day, pick the one closest to what you want to do that day. Or one in a part of town you've never stayed. I certainly wouldn't spend my one day in an outlying area.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by typical
Hi all,

Looking for a cheaper hotel for after I land at JFK 11:45pm. I leave 7pm next evening.

I would prefer to take public transport than taxi given cost, unless the price is not THAT different.

Current cheaper SPG options are:

Aloft New York Brooklyn - 119
Four Points by Sheraton Long Island City/Queensboro Bridge - 119
Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea - 149
Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel - 149
The Westin New York at Times Square - 161
The Westin New York Grand Central - 164
W New York (Lexington) - 172
Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square - 175
Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village - 175
Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel - 176

Since I'd go straight to bed and spend the day in Manhattan, and given I'm Plat, I'd want to optimise for
a) ease of arriving that time of night (again, not sure I want to spend a lot on a taxi; am comfortable sitting on a metro but less so walking many blocks at night)
b) comfort
c) breakfast
d) overall Plat experience (bearing in mind outside Manhattan, I'd probably leave in the morning and not return - unless it's easy to drop by when returning Manhattan to JFK)

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks.
I'd consider the Sheraton at JFK. Then you can take the subway to/from NYC without luggage.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Thanks all! Further intel would be much appreciated

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
I'd consider the Sheraton at JFK. Then you can take the subway to/from NYC without luggage.
It's 199 for the night, plus I've found it not so convenient (AirTrain to the rental car centre and then wait for the hotel shuttle). If it had been in the 120 region I would just have gone there, but with so many cheaper options into the city I wasn't convinced
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
If you're getting in at 11:45PM, public transit will take another 60 minutes at least to get to any of the hotels you list. You'll arrive to any of them around 1AM or so.

At the prices, I would only consider the two Westins or the W on Lexington. I'm partial to the W myself, it is usually my go to for NYC, but the Westin Times Square might be the way to go. Take the A to Port Authority (not to Times Square station) and it is a very short walk. Maybe consider the Aloft in Brooklyn as well, due to the price and that it would be the shortest trip from JFK.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by zoomgirl
My spouse was lucky enough to be targeted for a "Earn up to Two Free Night Awards" for two paid stays. We are planning to use one of the free nights in NYC in September, but can't decide on which hotel. Free night can be in a category 1-6 hotel, so obviously we want to use it for a cat 6. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Same question here except it will be in October. The wife and I are planning to make it a getaway for my birthday. I'm leaning towards Le Parker Meridien but also considering W Times Square and W Union Square. We want to do MOMA and Intrepid as well as visit some friends on the Upper East Side (around 89th and 3rd). We've been to NYC before and done Times Square, so I'm not too excited to stay there but would consider it if it's best for what we want to do or getting to the hotel. We'll probably arrive separately - her by train and me by plane, most likely into EWR but could do LGA/JFK.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:13 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
W New York VS W New York Downtown???

I already had a booking at W NY Downtown this october. Through BRG claim, I can find a bit higher total room rate at W NY.

I've been to NYC twice, but this time I will go there with my mom who never been there before (she is 60 year olds).

I'm considering about the location. I thought the location of W NY is much better for the firsttimer (like my mom). I had stayed at W NY Downtown before and found it quite a nice stay overall.

So my question is does W NY deserve the 217$ premium? or I should stick with my booking at W NY Downtown.

PS. Sorry for my poor English.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
W New York VS W New York Downtown???

I already had a booking at W NY Downtown this october. Through BRG claim, I can find a bit higher total room rate at W NY.

I've been to NYC twice, but this time I will go there with my mom who never been there before (she is 60 year olds).

I'm considering about the location. I thought the location of W NY is much better for the firsttimer (like my mom). I had stayed at W NY Downtown before and found it quite a nice stay overall.

So my question is does W NY deserve the 217$ premium? or I should stick with my booking at W NY Downtown.

PS. Sorry for my poor English.
How many nights are you looking at for that $217 premium? I like the W New York a bit (usually my first choice as long as the price isn't outrageous), and haven't personally stayed at W NY Downtown, but I cannot see the W New York being $217 better than the Downtown. W New York also has a lot of smaller rooms, which might not be good for the first time traveler as well.

PS Your English seems quite fine to me .
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
How many nights are you looking at for that $217 premium? I like the W New York a bit (usually my first choice as long as the price isn't outrageous), and haven't personally stayed at W NY Downtown, but I cannot see the W New York being $217 better than the Downtown. W New York also has a lot of smaller rooms, which might not be good for the first time traveler as well.

PS Your English seems quite fine to me .
thank you for your advice, TheBOSman.

(i will stay in NYC for 6 nights)
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Funny, it feels as thought the W NY Lex has quite a bit of variability in reactions from users. I only stay there when I have meetings on Park - otherwise I'll choose almost any other Starwood in town other than Element.

The occassional tiny room, the unclear allocation of upgrades, the testy wifi and the bad Verizon coverage there can potentially wrinkle the trip. Maybe there's just more to upgrade to, but I find that W TS is much more gracious with room allocations - as an example.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite
I'll be in New York together with my girlfriend for 6 days/5 nights in September and looking for a points reservation.

Right now I have a reservation for the W Hoboken (16.000 points per night), but I'm wondering if we should better stay somewhere in Manhattan. The reason for booking the W Hoboken were:
  • Only 16.000 points
  • Great reviews on TA as well as on Flyertalk
  • Not in Manhattan, but I seems that the PATH brings you to Manhattan in a couple of minutes and great views from the hotel

I have been to New York once for a couple of days, my girlfriends has never been there. Which hotel would you recommend to us (good plat benefits would be great)? Keep the W Hoboken or chose one in Manhattan (which one?)? Below you can see the available hotel at our dates. I excluded all properties > 25k points and not sure if I really want the pay the premium for the 25k hotels.

25.000 points per night
  • W New York - Times Square
  • W New York

20.000 points per night
  • The Westin New York at Times Square
  • Le Parker Méridien New York
  • W New York - Downtown

16.000 points per night
  • Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square
  • Element New York Times Square West
  • Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea
  • Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village

12.000 points per night
  • The Westin New York Grand Central
  • Sheraton Tribeca New York Hotel
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:53 am

Programs: bonvoy lifetime titanium, not much else anymore
Originally Posted by zemb
I'll be in New York together with my girlfriend for 6 days/5 nights in September and looking for a points reservation.

Right now I have a reservation for the W Hoboken (16.000 points per night), but I'm wondering if we should better stay somewhere in Manhattan. The reason for booking the W Hoboken were:
  • Only 16.000 points
  • Not in Manhattan, but I seems that the PATH brings you to Manhattan in a couple of minutes and great views from the hotel

I have been to New York once for a couple of days, my girlfriends has never been there. Which hotel would you recommend to us (good plat benefits would be great)? Keep the W Hoboken or chose one in Manhattan (which one?)? Below you can see the available hotel at our dates. I excluded all properties > 25k points and not sure if I really want the pay the premium for the 25k hotels.

25.000 points per night
  • W New York

20.000 points per night
  • W New York - Downtown

16.000 points per night

12.000 points per night
I work most weeks in NYC, and have stayed at all of these properties.

First of all, the W Hoboken is a great property if you can get a suite - they are spacious and have a balcony overlooking the city.

I'd eliminate the 4pts, especially if its your GFs first time in NYC. for me, Element is out as well, crowded and noisy, slow elevators.

I wouldn't touch either of those W's for 25k a night, W NYC on Lex is my least favorite of all the Ws in NYC area. Times Square is Times square... (so Westin is our for me as well, but

at the 20k point range, Le Meridien is nice, the furthest north of all the properties, W downtown is the furthest south, so you will be taking one of the express trains. I like this property, but 20k may be a bit steep.

I honestly think for 12k, Grand Central is a great deal. The rooms are renovated in the past 18 months, if you stay here, try to get a corner room. Nothing special about the views. Location wise, you are close to midtown but not overwhelmed by Times Square lights / noise, which is why I prefer it (for my biz stays) over Westin / W TS.

Tribeca is not as nice of a property, but does have a nice lounge with a decent breakfast and a good balcony facing north. It's on Canal st, which is pretty busy with traffic and not my favorite part of the city.

For context, I work downtown and usually stay at the W Union Square (favorite property) if the rate is decent, or Tribeca / W Downtown. This summer has almost exclusively been Tribeca for the 3x points promo.

I'd narrow your choices to W Hoboken, Le Meridien, or Westin Grand Central. W Hoboken probably is the nicest of the 3, but the fact that it's across the river and the train doesn't run as often on the weekend may be a downside... I always try to stay 'in' the city when there for pleasure.

hope this helps, happy to answer any specific q's you may have
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: Biggly ones everywhere
NYC

I'll be at the Parker Meridien this weekend, I'll report with my jaundiced (to NYC) eye. The Mid-Town location of this hotel is a plus, they have a rooftop pool and some rooms are extremely nice. Some are closets. My first stay as a Platinum, I have 2 rooms reserved, so I ought to be able to add a bit.

In my O, the W hotels are all quite cramped and Andaz from HYATT gets this concept way better than any other chain even though SPG broke the ground. W Times Square is wholly dependent on your room and would be my W choice, the rest are just small and noisy. Not stayed in Hoboken as I have no need to but several Euro friends love it.

Points is the only way I've stayed at the St. Regis, it's far too American ***** read - stupid fussy - for my taste (Tastes may vary), it always seems such a waste.

Westin at Times square is a zoo - if you like or loathe that act accordingly.

4 Points TS - small but effective.
Element TS - probably better for the theatre.

Yet to try the Chatwal, but "Luxury in New York" really worries me.

Again, I am not a NYC lover so take with a grain of salt.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
If it is her first time, I would recommend staying in Manhattan (Hoboken is close enough, but doesnt give the same feel as staying in the city). I love the location of the Le Meridien (I live only a couple of blocks away) - it is close enough to central park, Lincoln center, MoMA, Carnegie Hall, Broadway etc. while being sufficiently removed from the zoo that is Times Square. There are nice restaurants within walking distance - and subway stops nearby should you want to go to the Village or downtown.

The hotel itself is a bit meh - the rooms are somewhat dated, and they charge for pool access (at least they did, when I was there a couple of years ago - not sure if that has changed). They also have a somewhat spotty record when it comes to Platinum treatment.

I stayed once at the Chatwal for 2 nights and loathed it. The rooms were tiny - we were upgraded to a suite which was just two tiny rooms connected by a long corridor - in essence, not feeling spacious at all. The service, location etc. was subpar especially for such an expensive property.

Originally Posted by zemb

• Only 16.000 points

25.000 points per night
  • W New York

20.000 points per night
  • W New York - Downtown

16.000 points per night

12.000 points per night
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: Biggly ones everywhere
Excellent Stay

Excellent stay at Parker le Meridien. Two rooms, both upgraded as a platinum to high floor, Jr. Suite. Quiet despite proximity to elevator. Excellent treatment by all SPG staff. I love this location, not a Broadway guy, not a Times Square guy. Am a Midtown guy. I will continue to stay here.

Only negative was parking, the contracted team were incompetent clowns. Drove in this time because party was 4 people, cost less this way. NYC parking is so incompetent.

I did eat at the St. Regis for breakfast as usual, top recommendation, fave in NYC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.