Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I'm visiting NYC with my family in Feb. Last year we stayed at the Sheraton Times Square, where they upgraded us to a parlor suite (very nice with Times Sq. view).

The Sheraton Times Square isn't bookable for the dates we want and we were thinking of trying something different this year anyhow. We need two rooms so it can't be too expensive and we place a high value on the plat. lounge privilege (3 kids who want snacks).

Based on price and features it looks like a choice between the Sheraton Tribeca and the Westin Grand Central? Any thoughts about those two for a family with kids (9, 12, 14) doing normal tourist stuff?

thanks in advance
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Neither Westin (Times Square nor Grand Central) has a lounge.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 2:40 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by paterwdb
Hello. I would like to use a couple of free night certs that are only good for
Cat 6 or under - so Saint Regis is off the table.

What would be the best reommendation for getting as much out of the cert as possible? My priority is luxurious property, more classy and traditional than hip and trendy. But not at the expense of being run down, if that makes sense.

I am gold but don't care about breakfast. Location is not too important as I will be visiting friends and will take a cab most places. I will be at Saint Patrick's each morning for Mass so nearby would be a bonus.

Thanks so much for any thoughts.
I'd think one of the W properties would be your best bet.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Neither Westin (Times Square nor Grand Central) has a lounge.
Right. I should have been more clear. What I meant to ask was: "is the Westin superior enough that it outweighs the lounge benefit."? Of course any other insight on the Sheraton Tribeca vs. the GC Westin is welcome.

cheers
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:41 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Right. I should have been more clear. What I meant to ask was: "is the Westin superior enough that it outweighs the lounge benefit."? Of course any other insight on the Sheraton Tribeca vs. the GC Westin is welcome.cheers
Where in Manhattan do you prefer to stay? I often stay at WGC because of its location, walking distance to many places. ST is in Lower Manhattan (south of Canal), you can easily drive/park nearby and you will need to take MTA (A, C, E lines) to most attractions.

Also, do you have (any) SPG status? Gold should get you upgraded at WGC, maybe lounge access at ST (makes it a lot easier to feed young kids!).

The bottom line (for me) is go with WGC - larger rooms, better views.

I often find WGC that time of year on spghotescapes for $159 ^

(PM me if you want a contact at the property to request an upgrade.)
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: Biggly ones everywhere
St. R NYC

Points stay, 12 floor Junior suite, interior (preferred) on PL status. Real ***** service, not what "passes for ***** service (aka the Royal ... Kiss)

Fully acceptable as I see it.

Usually use le Meridien - best points value, I hate to pay to go to NYC, but I or my wife must go about 4-5 nights a year.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: SPG, DL
Deciding between Westin Grand Central and Sheraton Times Square for a stay the weekend before xmas. Using points (same price), SPG Gold. Our only event is a party Sat night next to Rock Center.

I generally prefer Westin's to Sheraton's unless I have lounge access. Any reason I should go with the Sheraton over Westin?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
You can upgrade to a CL room at the Sheraton for an extra 2,500 pts per night if you want to and have the points. Sheraton is closer to Rockefeller Center.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:41 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by ATLawyer
Deciding between Westin Grand Central and Sheraton Times Square for a stay the weekend before xmas. Using points (same price), SPG Gold. Our only event is a party Sat night next to Rock Center.

I generally prefer Westin's to Sheraton's unless I have lounge access. Any reason I should go with the Sheraton over Westin?
Sheraton is a better location both for your function as well as for Christmas shopping / festivities (if that is of interest). That said, the Rockefeller Center area gets crazy busy before Christmas with the tree, the Rockettes show, and shoppers, so if you dislike crowds things should be a bit quieter over by the Westin GC. (If you do stay at the Westin GC, keep in mind that traffic would be terrible to get a cab between there and Rock Ctr, though it is possible -- if no heels are involved and the weather isn't too bad it may be best to walk.)
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Hi All,

I'm sorry as this may have been asked several times already, but retrieving information on FT is sometimes a pain.

In which Starwood property would you have the higher chances of an upgrade as an SPG Gold? Also, is Gold enough to give Club/Lounge access in properties that have one and if so would that imply free breakfast?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ringingup
Hi All,

I'm sorry as this may have been asked several times already, but retrieving information on FT is sometimes a pain.

In which Starwood property would you have the higher chances of an upgrade as an SPG Gold? Also, is Gold enough to give Club/Lounge access in properties that have one and if so would that imply free breakfast?

Thanks in advance.
It's hard enough to get an upgrade as a Platinum - your chances of getting a meaningful upgrade as a Gold are close to zero, unless you think a room on a high floor is an upgrade. And club lounges are reserved for those who are lucky, pay for the privilege, or are Platinum. Anyone who wants to be an SPG Gold can easily attain this status even without staying at a Starwood hotel, so they are about a penny a dozen (not even a dime).
Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:04 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by ringingup
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.
On a points stay as a Gold at the Le Parker Meridien I received a park view room on the 3rd highest floor after booking the standard room available for redemptions. It's not a suite upgrade, but we appreciated it. The location of that hotel really does allow for such rooms to be considered upgrades, IMHO.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: Platinum SPG, Marriott Platinum, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum,
NYC choices

I also recommend the Parker Meridien for its location, restaurants, and fitness center/pool. If driving into the city, there are also several parking garages nearby.

If taking a train into Penn Station, it is a short walk to the Element on 39th While rooms can be small at the Element, it is nice to have a min-kitchen, and they do have a nice reception on M-R eves as well as the standard free breakfast.

If using points, then the St. Regis is top of the list for location and ambience, especially for platinums using suite upgrades. I have never had a bad room there and love the historic feel of the place. The St. Regis staff are truly exceptional.

It alls depends on what your agenda will be in the city as when we are there, we hardy spend much time in a hotel room so upgrades while nice are not the priority.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: United-1K, Million Miler; SPG-Titanium and Lifetime Platinum; Globalist
I love the St. Regis in NYC. Avoid times square properties.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Concorde28
I also recommend the Parker Meridien for its location, restaurants, and fitness center/pool. If driving into the city, there are also several parking garages nearby.
Sorry to go OT but does anyone know whether the LPM still charges $$ for bringing things up to your room like coffee mugs, champagne glasses or a small bowl etc. The topic was all the rage at one point wrt the LPM some time ago...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.