Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
The Grand Deluxe room I mentioned at the Westin TS is listed as ranging from 350-450 sf, and I'm pretty good at guestimating and ours was one of the larger ones. HUGE for New York. And a bathroom with an enormous vanity (many NY hotels are just pedestal sinks). I've also stayed in some really, really small rooms, so I do know what to expect.

What I found interesting in looking at the Murphy Bed/Parlor Room at the Sheraton is that it is also listed as 250 sf, and from the pictures has a lot more furniture than the standard rooms, so I would think it would be very crammed with the Murphy bed down but great with it up.

Unfortunately we do want the Club Level, not just for breakfast, my husband wants free access to the fitness center, unlimited water will be nice, etc. so I'll just enjoy our 250 sf.
Old May 25, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Eujeanie- I spent many trips in the Parlor Suite and my friend would always put the bed back up during the day. I'm sure Housekeeping would do it, but we liked to keep the living area as open as possible until bedtime. I spent Hurricane Sandy in one of those suites. I had the bedroom and my friend had the living room area (Parlor) and we had 3 views of the storm. Never lost electricity or even cable!

I'd love to stay at W TS but the rates haven't been low enough. I need rates equal to Sheraton for both MY dates and my friend's, and she is just staying the weekend. I hate having to book separate rooms and miss the suite UGs at Sheraton TS. For years we had great success at amazing upgrades, even upgrading ahead of the trip, which always shocked and amazed me! Their VIP service was great- I always got suite upgrades & I got to know the wonderful ladies who worked there. Now they've all moved on and up. And my 500th night will be the 1st night of my stay so I would've loved to get that suite UG and celebrate in the suite we'd stayed in so many times over the years.

I still LOVE their lounge and I agree about the location. We go each year for our Theater trip and out of all the Starwood hotels, Sheraton was best located. We walked to every show. I hope you're having fun seeing shows- I think it's the BEST part of NYC!
Old May 25, 2015, 5:05 pm

Thanks Hope you have a wonderful trip, too - and I'd definitely make it a point to tell them about your milestone stay well in advance.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Which SPG in NYC in July ?

We will be heading towards NYC in July (2 adults and 1 child 11Y old).

View and modern feeling are more important to us than location, as we will stay for 5 nights.

I am Platinum and have a few SNA's left for 2015.

Thanks for your comments and ideas....
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by geilux
I am Platinum and have a few SNA's left for 2015.
I'm going to warn you in advance... I have had 0 luck using an SNA in NYC...

Depending on your budget, I would recommend either the Element or the W Hotel Downtown. You also may want to consider the W Hoboken but would need to consider the time getting into the city.

Element is affordable, I always get a room with a kitchenette, and usually get one with a little extra space. The W Downtown has access to most subway lines within a few blocks, some amazing views, and they also will always give me a larger room. W Hoboken was great with elite recognition the few times I stayed there and the view of NYC across the Hudson is stunning. No issue redeeming SNAs there either.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
I have an upcoming trip to NYC this September for 6 nights.

my nightly rate at the chatwal is 330.66 USD plus taxes and fees (got it through brg claim)

and another booking at sheraton tribeca, the nightly rate is 191.90 USD plus taxes and fees (also got it through brg claim)

do you guys think that the chatwal deserves the premium cost? I did stay once at sheraton tribeca and found it an OK hotel. never stayed at the chatwal before. is it totally in different league?

thanks for any inputs in advance.

ps. sorry for my poor english.

Last edited by 3rdworldresident; Jun 9, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:30 pm

I have stayed in The Westin by Time Square.

Been upgraded
1 - Corner Suite
1 - Presidential Suite
1 - Suite

In that particular order for the past 3 stays I have stayed there.
Wanted to add. We booked the cheapest room. Got Upgraded from there to the following list above.

Don't know if I will do it again this year.

Last edited by FPmiles; Jun 9, 2015 at 12:43 pm
Old Jun 9, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident

my nightly rate at the chatwal is 330.66 USD plus taxes and fees (got it through brg claim)

and another booking at sheraton tribeca, the nightly rate is 191.90 USD plus taxes and fees (also got it through brg claim)

do you guys think that the chatwal deserves the premium cost? I did stay once at sheraton tribeca and found it a OK hotel. never stayed at the chatwal before. is it totally in different league?

Absolutely no comparison between the Sheraton in Tribeca and The Chatwal. Sheraton is pretty middle of the road, Chatwal provides top end amenities and service. Ultimately, it depends on what you want out of your trip to NYC. Perhaps you can provide some more details about the plans of your trip.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by vandalby
Absolutely no comparison between the Sheraton in Tribeca and The Chatwal. Sheraton is pretty middle of the road, Chatwal provides top end amenities and service. Ultimately, it depends on what you want out of your trip to NYC. Perhaps you can provide some more details about the plans of your trip.
my main objective for this trip is to watch some matches at US Open.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
my main objective for this trip is to watch some matches at US Open.
If you're planning to take the subway out to Flushing for the games, the Chatwal is going to be significantly more convenient. The 7 train is just two blocks away in Times Square. The Sheraton Tribeca will require will require a transfer.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by vandalby
If you're planning to take the subway out to Flushing for the games, the Chatwal is going to be significantly more convenient. The 7 train is just two blocks away in Times Square. The Sheraton Tribeca will require will require a transfer.
thank you very much for your advise.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:09 pm

Just got back from 6 nights at the Sheraton TS and I was so surprised how much I liked it. Fabulous location - 3 subway stations covering 7-8 lines a close walk.

We stayed on the Club Level and that was a godsend because it totally increases your room size - a place to go 24/7 to stretch out when your room gets too small (and the rooms are small, the bathrooms smaller) - but they were well-designed and we never felt that cramped. One note: if a tub is important to you, the CL rooms only have showers (and they were great showers), but the regular rooms have tubs.

We really liked the hotel, the location even more so than the Westin TS, and would happily stay here again.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Isn't Sheraton TS a dump?
I remember staying there a few years back and decided never to step a foot inside again. The lounge was also a joke and overcrowded.

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Just got back from 6 nights at the Sheraton TS and I was so surprised how much I liked it. Fabulous location - 3 subway stations covering 7-8 lines a close walk.

We stayed on the Club Level and that was a godsend because it totally increases your room size - a place to go 24/7 to stretch out when your room gets too small (and the rooms are small, the bathrooms smaller) - but they were well-designed and we never felt that cramped. One note: if a tub is important to you, the CL rooms only have showers (and they were great showers), but the regular rooms have tubs.

We really liked the hotel, the location even more so than the Westin TS, and would happily stay here again.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: Club Awesome

do you guys think that the chatwal deserves the premium cost? I did stay once at sheraton tribeca and found it an OK hotel. never stayed at the chatwal before. is it totally in different league?

$330, for the Chatwal is a steal. If you view a hotel as just a place to crash, then you might not care much for the increase in cost. However, having stayed at the Chatwal and appreciate a good hotel, this is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. They treat you really well, in the heart of the city, but still quit, A+ amenities and a TV in your bathroom, cmon a TV! j/k
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:20 am

ws8n, if you thought the Sheraton was a dump you were right to never go back.

I didn't think it was.

There are so many hotels in New York there is no need to ever go back to someplace you didn't like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.