Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
If you want alternative that may be cheaper, look in Brooklyn or Long Island city.

Going back and forth to Jersey is a pain and a huge waste of time. The money you may save, will be eaten up by committing and paying for transportation on two different transportation systems.
I'd recommend either the Westin Grand Central (a give minute walk to the 4/5/6/7 lines) and 12,000 a night and they are pretty decent with the upgrades.

Another option is the Four Points by Sheraton in LIC for 10,000 points a night (and a five minute walk to the N line at 39th Avenue).

Hope this helps!
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Thanks all. I'll take another look at the Westin Grand Central and the Sheraton Times Square.

Thanks for the idea for LIC, but if I'm outside of Manhattan I might as well stay at Hoboken.

I'm tempted to stick with the W if only because I've heard great things and I'm amazed that a hotel that is going for more than $500 on my nights can be had for 12,000 points. But the convenience factor of the Westin or Sheraton might win out.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by dcstudent
Thanks all. I'll take another look at the Westin Grand Central and the Sheraton Times Square.

Thanks for the idea for LIC, but if I'm outside of Manhattan I might as well stay at Hoboken.

I'm tempted to stick with the W if only because I've heard great things and I'm amazed that a hotel that is going for more than $500 on my nights can be had for 12,000 points. But the convenience factor of the Westin or Sheraton might win out.
The LIC property is two subway stops from 59th/Lex (Bloomingdale's) and is on the subway whereas the W is on the PATH line so would cost you more.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Sheraton in Times Square but really do like the Westin Grand Central.

Happy Planning!
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by canadiantransplant
I'd recommend either the Westin Grand Central (a give minute walk to the 4/5/6/7 lines) and 12,000 a night and they are pretty decent with the upgrades.

Another option is the Four Points by Sheraton in LIC for 10,000 points a night (and a five minute walk to the N line at 39th Avenue).

Hope this helps!
I would walk to Queens Plaza, it's actually shorter and more transportation options. I have a friend who live very close to this property.

As a native, that's ridiculous consider the time and money it would take to get to Hoboken. That LIC property is perfect if you're only going to sleep there and use the room to change. If this is the case, there are some Four Points or Aloft properties that may be an option.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United GS, Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Has anyone stayed at the Gramercy? I'm platinum, & they state they don't honor starwood status, but wondering if they do something? I'm usually staying at the W Union Square but the rooms aren't that great. Just stayed there sat night & got a room that was pretty dark w/ no upgrade
Old Dec 28, 2015, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by latony
Has anyone stayed at the Gramercy? I'm platinum, & they state they don't honor starwood status, but wondering if they do something? I'm usually staying at the W Union Square but the rooms aren't that great. Just stayed there sat night & got a room that was pretty dark w/ no upgrade
They told you the right thing. Have you read the Design Hotels annoucement on this forum? Soft Launch of Design Hotels

Right from the FAQ
Will Design Hotels™ member hotels that are SPG Partner Hotels offer SPG Member benefits on Partner Stays?
All SPG Members are eligible to receive the following benefits during a Partner Stay at a Design Hotels™ member hotel that is an SPG Member Hotel: free in-room internet and one free bottle of water per guest per day.

Gold Preferred Guest and Platinum Preferred Guests will automatically receive Starpoints as their elite welcome gift – 250 Starpoints for Gold Preferred Guests and 500 Starpoints for Platinum Preferred Guests per Partner Stay.

No other elite benefits will be offered including room upgrades, guaranteed late check-out, Suite Night Awards and Your24.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by latony
Yes. Platinum status recognized on check-in, and I have been upgraded on both stays. So while not "officially" granted, as always, YMMV. When the rates are in line, it is quickly becoming my favorite SPG property in the city.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:50 am

I would walk to Queens Plaza, it's actually shorter and more transportation options. I have a friend who live very close to this property.
This is a also a good option as I too live in this area.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Thanks, didn't realize how close LIC was to midtown (subway-wise). How's the neighborhood late at night? Also, it says parking is $25 a night, which is great as we'll drive to NYC but don't plan on driving at all in NYC. Do they have their own garage?

Thanks again. We normally stay in a family member's condo in Manhattan - this'll only be the 3rd or 4th time we've stayed in a hotel in NYC so I'm not too used to the options.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:27 pm

Thanks, didn't realize how close LIC was to midtown (subway-wise). How's the neighborhood late at night? Also, it says parking is $25 a night, which is great as we'll drive to NYC but don't plan on driving at all in NYC. Do they have their own garage?

Thanks again. We normally stay in a family member's condo in Manhattan - this'll only be the 3rd or 4th time we've stayed in a hotel in NYC so I'm not too used to the options.
This area is fairly safe at night as it's surrounded by several new hotels. As for parking, it's not a garage but is covered.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:34 pm
Suspended

In NYC Google Maps is your friend.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United GS, Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Yes. Platinum status recognized on check-in, and I have been upgraded on both stays. So while not "officially" granted, as always, YMMV. When the rates are in line, it is quickly becoming my favorite SPG property in the city.

Thanks! Has anyone stayed at the Westin Grand Central as platinum. Reviews seem to be pretty brutal about service. How often is anyone getting upgraded on weekday work stays?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:59 am

Taking my 14 year old son to NYC on 2/12/16 for 4 nights for a father-son trip. Planning on using my SPG points to stay in Times Square area. Yes I know I can stay for 1 more night for free but he has to get back to school. My wife and I stayed at The Chatwal several years ago and it was absolutely fabulous but I am not going to spend 35,000 points per night for this trip.

I am down to the Westin Times Square and W Times Square (both at 20,000 points per night), leaning to the W. Would also consider Le Parker Meridien.

Cash prices are decent but I would prefer to use points.

I am only Corporate Preferred Guest because we switched our credit card to Hyatt a couple of years ago so no reral SPG perks.

I am looking for your thoughts.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flannbarr
Taking my 14 year old son to NYC on 2/12/16 for 4 nights for a father-son trip. Planning on using my SPG points to stay in Times Square area. Yes I know I can stay for 1 more night for free but he has to get back to school. My wife and I stayed at The Chatwal several years ago and it was absolutely fabulous but I am not going to spend 35,000 points per night for this trip.

I am down to the Westin Times Square and W Times Square (both at 20,000 points per night), leaning to the W. Would also consider Le Parker Meridien.

Cash prices are decent but I would prefer to use points.

I am only Corporate Preferred Guest because we switched our credit card to Hyatt a couple of years ago so no reral SPG perks.

I am looking for your thoughts.
I would also check the Sheraton. Avoid the four points properties as the rooms are tiny, even by NY standards.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:27 am

I would also check the Sheraton. Avoid the four points properties as the rooms are tiny, even by NY standards.
The Sheraton is available at 12,000 points per night but reviews are iffy at best.

Last edited by flannbarr; Jan 2, 2016 at 7:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.