Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Parker Meridien is a corrupt hotel. This has been well documented.

The W is okay... but you have to be firm with them. They will try to screw with you if they think they can get away with it.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Feb 25, 2017 at 11:33 pm
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
In February you can probably get the Chatwal or maybe even the Ritz Central Park for under $400/night if you look hard enough for best rate guarantees (or look no further for the RC). I have upcoming stays at both between $350 and $400, and I would highly recommend them over your current choices, unless the Le Meridien pool is a huge plus. The JW Marriott may also be a good choice since you'd get lounge access as a gold member.

EDIT: Never mind, just saw you need a one bedroom suite at a minimum so the above options would end up being well above your budget with the exception of the JW Marriott where i have seen junior suites and occasionally one bedroom suites fall into that price range.

All that said, SPG gold may get you a higher floor or keep you out of a closet room, but otherwise you won't get much.

Last edited by spgplat21; Jan 29, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:56 pm

Delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Feb 25, 2017 at 11:34 pm
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SHLTP
As an addition I really like Central Park Ritz and agree w above poster. Wonderful rooms and service. Even without many benefits for plats, I'll probably stay there next time as the club lounges and breakfast benefits not great anyway in NY for most Starwood properties. Ritz really a wonderful property.
Indeed, but the price point of Central Park Ritz is vastly different than the two hotels the OP is choosing between and it is possible pricing has something to do with the their choosing from these two properties.

Regards
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Looking for some recommendations with the new Marriott options...I'm looking at the St. Regis, Ritz Central Park, or JW Essex House for a weekend stay. Hope to be platinum at the time of stay. Thanks!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:11 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by svo242
Looking for some recommendations with the new Marriott options...I'm looking at the St. Regis, Ritz Central Park, or JW Essex House for a weekend stay. Hope to be platinum at the time of stay. Thanks!
You'll probably have more luck finding information on the Marriott properties over on the Marriott board, but keep in mind that Ritz offers almost no elite benefits, so if upgrades/breakfast are important to you, that's not the best option.

If you're planning to use points, the Ritz and JW will be a much better value (or, at least a much lower price) than the St. Regis.

I believe the JW does have a lounge which would be available to you as either a Gold or Platinum member. The St. Regis does not have a lounge and the Ritz does not allow access to the lounge unless you specifically book a club room (no upgrades), so if lounge access is of interest the JW could be a good option. I can't vouch for how good of a lounge it is, the Marriott board might be more help in that regard. I haven't stayed there but the public spaces of the JW are very nice.

If you make Platinum and are hoping for a suite upgrade, SPG properties are a better bet than Marriott properties, though in New York suite upgrades aren't all that common even at SPG properties, so may not be worth booking somewhere just in hopes of one.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Parker Meridien is a corrupt hotel. This has been well documented.

The W is okay... but you have to be firm with them. They will try to screw with you if they think they can get away with it.
Yes, there are a series of nagging issues with this hotel. Aside from the stupid resort fee, there is also the fact that they will not give you a lobby wireless password as a platinum while you are waiting for your room to be ready. I also find the austerity of the rooms to be charmless rather than chic. I do like that its a bunch quieter people-wise than being in TS. I sometimes really miss the Westin Essex house (now the JW), which I suppose is now back in the fold!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bgriff
You'll probably have more luck finding information on the Marriott properties over on the Marriott board, but keep in mind that Ritz offers almost no elite benefits, so if upgrades/breakfast are important to you, that's not the best option.

If you're planning to use points, the Ritz and JW will be a much better value (or, at least a much lower price) than the St. Regis.

I believe the JW does have a lounge which would be available to you as either a Gold or Platinum member. The St. Regis does not have a lounge and the Ritz does not allow access to the lounge unless you specifically book a club room (no upgrades), so if lounge access is of interest the JW could be a good option. I can't vouch for how good of a lounge it is, the Marriott board might be more help in that regard. I haven't stayed there but the public spaces of the JW are very nice.

If you make Platinum and are hoping for a suite upgrade, SPG properties are a better bet than Marriott properties, though in New York suite upgrades aren't all that common even at SPG properties, so may not be worth booking somewhere just in hopes of one.
The JW is a good value. The breakfast in the lounge is good and the evening offering could substitute a meal if you are not too much hungry. Don't expect any kind of upgrade however (even a better view). That's said, the basic king room is already quite big for NY standard.
Definitely not the same level of luxury as the StRegis or the Ritz, but for about the same amount of point as the sheratons (15k spg vs 12/16), the value looks better.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:56 am
PBQ

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Mr. PBQ didn't want to be near Times Square and the reviews of LPM make me re-think.
We booked a jr suite at the JW Exxex House. It's not ideal as our two kids will be on a pull-out, but the suite will give us more space and we are not in our room for much othen than sleeping.
As Gold, the reservationist confirmed lounge access with complimentary breakfast which is great!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by PBQ
Mr. PBQ didn't want to be near Times Square and the reviews of LPM make me re-think.
We booked a jr suite at the JW Exxex House. It's not ideal as our two kids will be on a pull-out, but the suite will give us more space and we are not in our room for much othen than sleeping.
As Gold, the reservationist confirmed lounge access with complimentary breakfast which is great!
I think you've made the right decision. Let us know how it goes. I haven't stayed there, but I am looking at a similar situation, with a couple kids, and was wondering about the JWEH.

Cheers,
Old Feb 3, 2017, 7:15 am

Delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Feb 25, 2017 at 11:35 pm
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PBQ
Mr. PBQ didn't want to be near Times Square...
Mr. PBQ sounds like my kind of guy ^

Regards
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Other options you might want to consider are the properties in downtown Brooklyn - specifically the Marriott, Aloft (which has a few suites with king size bed and pull out couch), and Sheraton. While it's not in Manhattan, it's right next to the subway station and close to the Manhattan Bridge, making them readily accessible to head to Manhattan.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PBQ
I see from one of your earlier posts that one of your children is over the age of 12. You may want to review this thread (beginning with Post #126): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...nhattan-4.html

There seems to be some issues with this property allowing more than the Marriott-prescribed Gold/Platinum benefit of lounge access for the member plus one guest. It appears the property allows additional guests, above the prescribed amount, if under the age of 12. I don't want you to be surprised and disappointed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.