Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:09 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Stayed at the Sheraton in March and it was fine. The lounge is actually really well run and pretty nice. Had two rooms on points and everyone had access.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by DealAddict
Sucks that all the Cat 5s in NYC are Four Points with tiny rooms or the 2 Sheratons...which are okay I suppose
Can't be too surprised by that given the market. The Sheratons are more than adequate, I've found.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:43 am

Spg plat staying at the westin grand central. How is this property to plats? Haven't read great reviews on the site.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Spg plat staying at the westin grand central. How is this property to plats? Haven't read great reviews on the site.
When I used to be a plat, the hotel was just converting from being the Helmsley to being a Westin. During the transition, before lots of folks knew it was in SPG, it was great. The PLT benefits faded out once the property got better market penetration, though -- or I was getting beat out by 50-nighters.

If the mid-50s work for you, consider Le Parker Meridien. My review: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26748110-post594.html
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:27 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Westin Grand Central vs. Parker Meridien

Originally Posted by CO FF
When I used to be a plat, the hotel was just converting from being the Helmsley to being a Westin. During the transition, before lots of folks knew it was in SPG, it was great. The PLT benefits faded out once the property got better market penetration, though -- or I was getting beat out by 50-nighters.

If the mid-50s work for you, consider Le Parker Meridien. My review: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26748110-post594.html
Not clear on what basis you are recommending the Meridien? Location?

As a PLAT, I have stayed @ both properties. The only reason I can think of to recommend the Parker over the WGC is the former has a swimming pool. Also, the breakfast.

Like you, I have had awesome upgrades at the WGC - whereas I had to ask @ the Parker to be on the same bank of elevators as the pool. I would take the WGC any day - better location, staff, upgrades. I also like the Sheraton New York - although its very hard to score a suite upgrade (as they are all sold).
Old Jun 16, 2016, 5:57 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I love Sheraton NY because of its great VIP staff, the remodeled rooms and suites, and the location. I can walk to every show I want to see from Sheraton. I love the lounge, the view, and honestly, the rates are so much more reasonable than most places. A few years ago we tried staying at the new Element and then, 4 Points. While they're supposedly TS location, they were in a bad area and too far from most shows. And the Element prices are on par with Sheraton's right now, which shocks me. At Sheraton you get the lounge, a safe area, and in my experience, the best staff in NYC for upgrades. I've only stayed in a regular room once, and that was a one night stay for less than 18 hours before a Europe trip.

I DID like W Times Square, but I didn't get the upgrades I get at Sheraton and I paid more. Westin TS was okay but again, not on par with Sheraton for location and again, no lounge. I always LOOK at the other rates when booking, but Sheraton is always the best deal for me. I'm going again on July 7th and I feel like it's my home away from home. I even sat out Hurricane Sandy at that Sheraton, and wow, we were set. We never lost electricity, or even cable. They kept the lounge open, and made sure we were cared for. I would like to try Le Parker Meridien some time, but I've heard from SO many people that they're not great at Plat upgrades. Location and suite upgrades are most important to me. Sheraton NYC has never let me down.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 7:22 pm

Is the Sheraton Tribeca location super sketchy being on Canal Street? Read there are a lot of unsavory characters hanging around the hotel
Old Jul 10, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Just OK for me for a recent stay. Token upgrade, no lounge. (suites seemed available - didn't push for it; usual story). Got the pts over breakfast. Water missing from the room - had to ask for it. They insisted I should not drink the 10$ bottled water in the room but wait for the Nestle water to come. Took 15mins. Room clean and reasonably modern.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:20 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Is the Sheraton Tribeca location super sketchy being on Canal Street? Read there are a lot of unsavory characters hanging around the hotel
There is nothing sketchy about the hotel itself. The street immediately outside the hotel is definitely a bit on the gritty side, but the chances of hotel guests experiencing any crime or danger are still very, very low (as is true in all touristy areas of NYC). Personally if I were in that neighborhood for any reason, I would likely choose to walk on the side streets, many of which are quite charming, and minimize time spent walking on Canal Street itself, which in addition to being rather seedy is also a major traffic thoroughfare and so can be quite loud and polluted. I would recommend the same to hotel guests there.

Worth noting that many of the other lower-priced SPG properties, including the limited-service properties to the west of Times Square, and the Brooklyn and Queens properties, are in similarly less-polished locations. You could even argue the same description could apply to the properties in Times Square proper. Some might call it a bit of New York character.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:08 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Not at all. I've stayed there in winter and in summer. It's very quiet outside to the Subway to the West and to the east you'll go by folks trying to sell you fake merchandise but if you just keep walking they won't bother you at all.

Both subway stations are safe, there's a police station in the closer one (west)
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
There is nothing sketchy about the hotel itself. The street immediately outside the hotel is definitely a bit on the gritty side, but the chances of hotel guests experiencing any crime or danger are still very, very low (as is true in all touristy areas of NYC). Personally if I were in that neighborhood for any reason, I would likely choose to walk on the side streets, many of which are quite charming, and minimize time spent walking on Canal Street itself, which in addition to being rather seedy is also a major traffic thoroughfare and so can be quite loud and polluted. I would recommend the same to hotel guests there.

Worth noting that many of the other lower-priced SPG properties, including the limited-service properties to the west of Times Square, and the Brooklyn and Queens properties, are in similarly less-polished locations. You could even argue the same description could apply to the properties in Times Square proper. Some might call it a bit of New York character.
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Not at all. I've stayed there in winter and in summer. It's very quiet outside to the Subway to the West and to the east you'll go by folks trying to sell you fake merchandise but if you just keep walking they won't bother you at all.

Both subway stations are safe, there's a police station in the closer one (west)
So a presidential suite at this property vs a regular room with 2 queen beds for 3 people at the Westin Times Square? The suite looks really pedestrian to be honest. I'm not sure.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:34 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
So a presidential suite at this property vs a regular room with 2 queen beds for 3 people at the Westin Times Square? The suite looks really pedestrian to be honest. I'm not sure.
Haven't seen the presidential suite but I would guess it's nothing special other than a big-ish suite.

If those are the options I would just choose based on location. If you have been to New York before and/or live in another major city and are going to be seeing the city more like a local (focusing on boutique shopping, getting to the newest restaurants and bars, etc.), the Sheraton is probably better -- the immediate vicinity of the hotel isn't great but you'll be much closer to the downtown stuff you'd probably want to do. Whereas if you are first-timers and want to focus more on tourist sights (Broadway theater, Times Square, museums, Rockefeller Center, the big department stores, etc.), the Westin is probably better.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
Haven't seen the presidential suite but I would guess it's nothing special other than a big-ish suite.

If those are the options I would just choose based on location. If you have been to New York before and/or live in another major city and are going to be seeing the city more like a local (focusing on boutique shopping, getting to the newest restaurants and bars, etc.), the Sheraton is probably better -- the immediate vicinity of the hotel isn't great but you'll be much closer to the downtown stuff you'd probably want to do. Whereas if you are first-timers and want to focus more on tourist sights (Broadway theater, Times Square, museums, Rockefeller Center, the big department stores, etc.), the Westin is probably better.
This is the presidential suite:

https://www.oyster.com/new-york-city...dential-suite/

Westin (Grand Deluxe room with 2 queen beds):

https://www.oyster.com/new-york-city...e-double-room/

Not a first timer... have been to NYC a few times already, so I suppose the downtown location of the Sheraton is a plus.

There are other options, because I'm redeeming points. I'm just not sure what the other good options are...it's a challenge to find a hotel with 2 Queen beds or King + Sofa bed. Of course, the option I like best is the Westin Grand Central (at least the room)- but that's 40,000 pts per night for a suite

Last edited by DealAddict; Jul 11, 2016 at 4:06 pm
Old Jul 12, 2016, 5:40 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
That Grand Deluxe is one of the "Atrium Rooms", isn't it? Lower floors and I recall lots of street noise coming in through the windows.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
That Grand Deluxe is one of the "Atrium Rooms", isn't it? Lower floors and I recall lots of street noise coming in through the windows.
Oh, that's why it was so noisy! We thought it was because we tried to open the window, thought better of it, and never could crank it tight all the way again. Yes, it was a noisy room but I really liked the spaciousness of both the room and bathroom compared to many NY hotels - compared to the Sheraton it was huge.

I like to spread out so that suite in Tribeca, while plain, gives you a ton of room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.