Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:35 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by ringingup
Hi All,

I'm sorry as this may have been asked several times already, but retrieving information on FT is sometimes a pain.

In which Starwood property would you have the higher chances of an upgrade as an SPG Gold? Also, is Gold enough to give Club/Lounge access in properties that have one and if so would that imply free breakfast?

Thanks in advance.
I think you will struggle at any property unless NYC is very quiet! Avoid W NYC (Lexington) though as my experience is even as a returning guest and Platinum status you wont get anything and the management seem awful. There is no service and even less desire to do anything about it.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by toddml
I think you will struggle at any property unless NYC is very quiet! Avoid W NYC (Lexington) though as my experience is even as a returning guest and Platinum status you wont get anything and the management seem awful. There is no service and even less desire to do anything about it.
The Downtown Brooklyn, Harlem, Long Island City and Financial District properties are in quiet areas.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by jaejaez
Sorry to go OT but does anyone know whether the LPM still charges $$ for bringing things up to your room like coffee mugs, champagne glasses or a small bowl etc. The topic was all the rage at one point wrt the LPM some time ago...
On our recent stay during Halloween weekend 2014 I stopped by the front desk on our way to dinner and asked for a second bathrobe to be brought up. It was there when we came back, and I wasn't charged.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 3:32 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Sheraton Brooklyn actual experience

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
The Downtown Brooklyn, Harlem, Long Island City and Financial District properties are in quiet areas.
I do not agree. The Sheraton Brooklyn has an indie dance club on its top floor i.e. one floor below where Plats stay. A couple of years ago, my stay was so interrupted by noise I left the property for the WGC. A much quieter property with decent views of Manhattan.
IMO

I later learned the Sheraton Brooklyn was never even designed to be a hotel.

IMO, the Parker Meridien is also quiet, even though it is located near 5 subway lines (57th).
Old Dec 31, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
See, now I read todd's post #391 to mean "when the city is quiet", i.e. a non-busy time, so not Christmas and not Fashion Week, etc.

I didn't think he meant a quiet hotel in a quiet area.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
See, now I read todd's post #391 to mean "when the city is quiet", i.e. a non-busy time, so not Christmas and not Fashion Week, etc.

I didn't think he meant a quiet hotel in a quiet area.
Ahhh....I guess I read that wrong. However, NYC can be quiet on certain holidays. NYC is quiet Christmas but not New Years.

January and February is a quiet time. Just as is August and October are quiet.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:58 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Ahhh....I guess I read that wrong. However, NYC can be quiet on certain holidays. NYC is quiet Christmas but not New Years.

It's cheap New Years, though. Had a $159 rate for tonight thru Saturday night at the Westin Grand Central that I had to cancel, darn it.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
It's cheap New Years, though. Had a $159 rate for tonight thru Saturday night at the Westin Grand Central that I had to cancel, darn it.
had a $110 + tax stay at the four points midtown on the 29th night....i didn't want to be around times square at this time of the year but that price was too good to pass up....
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver

Also, NYC hotel rates are a lot lower on Fri/Sat/Sun night stays. The business travelers far outweigh the tourists so you see how prices drop dramatically on the weekends.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Songer5
Also, NYC hotel rates are a lot lower on Fri/Sat/Sun night stays. The business travelers far outweigh the tourists so you see how prices drop dramatically on the weekends.
quite the opposite actually during christmas & new years....rates on weekends are insanely high....i was getting rates between $90-$250 on most ny properties from sunday - thursday but friday & saturday nights the rates jumped to between $500-$800....

i stayed at the element a few days before christmas & at the four points midtown a few days after christmas....both stays were on weekdays & i paid less than $130 a night....but the same properties on weekends were in the $500-$600 range....
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:46 am

Programs: Marco Polo Gold, China Airlines Gold, SPG Platinum, IHG Platinum
I agreed so... indifferent service, or, simply, no service attitude.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: OW Emerald SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold

I strongly disagree about October. Although IMHO it is the best month to be in the city it also seems to always have some of the highest prices and lots of big groups in town.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Hi everyone, I am looking for some suggestions.

I will be in NY from 29/5 to 5/6 with my now fiancee, soon to be wife on our honeymoon from Singapore.

This will be my first time in NY but this will be the wife's third time. We will be mostly eating, shopping and just taking in the sights. Not big theatre fans.

I have already booked using points from 29/5 to 2/6 at WGC based on the recent reviews and recommendations on this thread, but am still open on the 3 and 4 of June.

I am SPG Plat and have about 36k SPG points left.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Am thinking of spending cash on Parker Meridien for 1 night and then splurging the remainder of my points on a St Regis (35k vs 995 USD)
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zjunyuan
Hi everyone, I am looking for some suggestions.

I will be in NY from 29/5 to 5/6 with my now fiancee, soon to be wife on our honeymoon from Singapore.

This will be my first time in NY but this will be the wife's third time. We will be mostly eating, shopping and just taking in the sights. Not big theatre fans.

I have already booked using points from 29/5 to 2/6 at WGC based on the recent reviews and recommendations on this thread, but am still open on the 3 and 4 of June.

I am SPG Plat and have about 36k SPG points left.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Am thinking of spending cash on Parker Meridien for 1 night and then splurging the remainder of my points on a St Regis (35k vs 995 USD)
St. Regis....no questions...it's a honeymoon! Spent my wedding weekend there. Gorgeous experience.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I agree with spending the last night at the St. Regis. But I would not want to do 3 different hotels for the last 3 nights. If the St. Regis is too pricey for 2 nights, I'd just do one more at the WGC and forget the Parker Meridien.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.