Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by ymx
I'm currently Marriott Lifetime Gold, but will end the year with over 2M points and ~630 lifetime nights. I also have 75 SPG nights total accrued. Am I understanding my options correctly as follows:

1. Do nothing and I automatically convert from Lifetime Gold to the new Lifetime Platinum?
2. Reach 750 Marriott nights by 12/31/18 and I convert to the new Lifetime Platinum Premier (which is arguably only marginally better than LP because no suite nights)?
3. I cannot combine the 75 SPG nights with my Marriott nights to get closer to the current Marriott qualifications for LPP (I'd be about 45 nights short in this scenario)?
Correct. (by my read of the material) Except for the "no suite nights' part. I'm pretty sure everyone will earn 5 at 50 nights and 5 at 75 nights - the table doesn't account for being at PP without passing through P first.

What you get to start the program year will be interesting. SPG PLT who have earned 10 this year will have 10 for next year, I'm sure. What will MR PLT's, who had no equivalent, receive as a 1-time starter?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:04 am

TWONER32>> " Seems like the winners are current Marriott LTP members, like myself- Thankful "

Seems like the real winners are current Marriott LTG holders, since essentially henceforth they'll be equivalent to Marriott LTP members (notwithstanding the token LTPP trinkets).
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ronin
TWONER32>> " Seems like the winners are current Marriott LTP members, like myself- Thankful "

Seems like the real winners are current Marriott LTG holders, since essentially henceforth they'll be equivalent to Marriott LTP members (notwithstanding the token LTPP trinkets).
Not really. The benefits for Platinum are pretty much the old Gold benefits, so they are winners in name only.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by CPRich
That's an interesting question. I believe SPG was clear that comped years weren't counted. But I've seen no documentation either way.

"achievement at that level" would imply you need to earn it, but that's far from clear.
It's all a bit confusing. I'm a MR LTS on the cusp of LTG (under the old rules). Lots of nights, just short on the points by a small amount. I don't have travel plans to get me to LTG by August 1 at this point.

But, depending on how you read what the statement "Years of Elite tenure is based on achievement at that level" means, I'm either comfortably LTP (new program at 50 nights) if judged by nights earned, or potentially on the cusp if based on actual years MR gave me Platinum Status (old program at 75 nights). And that doesn't even consider that if "achievement" means getting platinum in the past...

Also, while I read in the Marriott FAQ we have until the end of the year to qualify for life time status and still get matched... I'm sceptical.

probably safest thing is a mattress run in the next few weeks to jump me over to LTG (old program) in enough time for August 1.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:22 am

I'm looking for advice on chasing LTP before 12/31. Currently sitting at 778 nights and 1.48MM points (lots of low rates and Residence Inns). Hit Platinum each year based on 50 or so nights, plus the 15 credit card and spending. Will easily hit LTG by 12/31, but I'm wondering if I should take actions to hit LTP before year-end? I have 20+ years of working left, so the extra earnings of Platinum Premier and possibility of better upgrades would be nice. Odds of staying 75+ nights are low.

Questions:
1. Is it worth it to reach for LTP by 12/31 in my situation needing 500,000 points? Based on scheduled trips through September, I will get at least 100,000 points.
2. If it's worth it, how should I go about it? I can buy 50,000. I have 135,000 Amex MR that I could transfer to my spouse's SPG account and transfer them to MR through a backdoor. In that case (exceeding the spousal 50,000 point limit - does my account balance need to be lower than the "award"?) That would get me to 285,000 points. Credit card spend + travel in the last quarter are question marks, so I would need about 200,000 points. Best (cheapest) sources?

3. If it is not worth the effort and cost, do I need to make sure I hit LTG by August 1?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:26 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by rny321
Thank you for posting this. The language has changed since last night. Previously the language stated that SPG members had until year-end to qualify and MR members only had until August. When I spoke to Marriott yesterday, the rep conferred with supervisors who confirmed the earlier date for MR. I am glad to know that the activity I have planned for the rest of the year will allow me to qualify for a higher lifetime status.
So does this mean they will merge in SPG lifetime points with MR lifetime points? I have 650 nights + 1.1million in Marriott and 370 and I'm not sure how many in SPG but i'm positive it's at least 300k which would ensure I had over 2 million when they combined and well over 750 if they combined.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by tods27
Not really. The benefits for Platinum are pretty much the old Gold benefits, so they are winners in name only.
Exactly my point... Up until now, Platinum held a distinct advantage over Gold. Henceforth, the new LTP (equivalent to the old LTG) will be a terminal lifetime status, with nothing further to lifetime aspire to.
So current lifetime Gold benefits remain as-is, even if renamed "Platinum." Whereas current lifetime Platinum members will henceforth receive no better benefits than their former LTG brethren.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ronin
Exactly my point... Up until now, Platinum held a distinct advantage over Gold. Henceforth, the new LTP (equivalent to the old LTG) will be a terminal lifetime status, with nothing further to lifetime aspire to.
So current lifetime Gold benefits remain as-is, even if renamed "Platinum." Whereas current lifetime Platinum members will henceforth receive no better benefits than their former LTG brethren.
Current LTP (MR only) members will get LTPP, so they do receive better benefits than their LTG bretheren. People who qualify next year won't.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by ridgepath
IYES. I bought points in January. They posted just like regular points and were added to lifetime total. That is a quick way to get points before August. There is a 50000 point limit for purchase
can you combine purchasing 50k points and being gifted/shared 50k points from a spouse in a calendar year?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Well, we're "winners" in that 1 day ago we were all worried we were going to get busted down to an equivalent to today's Silver, have the Travel Packages ripped away, and have a dynamic program.

We "won" in that Marriott left the fundamental piece of today's Gold status - breakfast/lounge - intact.

And I think there's one more shoe to drop that will make the new Platinum Premier status actually worth it: it would not shock me at all if United bumped up the Silver requirement to PP, keeping it at basically the 75-night level like it was. In other words, I am *not* expecting Star Silver as a regular Platinum after August 1st - I think you're going to need Plat Premier for that. I haven't seen it called out clearly yet, but I would think that UA and Marriott would want to keep that program somewhat where it was before.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:42 am

Current LTP (MR only) members will get LTPP, so they do receive better benefits than their LTG bretheren. People who qualify next year won't.
Yes, so there is no further status to aspire to in the future, as I said.
Also, as mentioned current LTP will get the token LTPP trinkets over the current LTG as a one time mercy grant, which although no doubt nice enough, are not nearly the level of distinction as the prior difference between G & P.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mattw4239
I'm looking for advice on chasing LTP before 12/31. Currently sitting at 778 nights and 1.48MM points (lots of low rates and Residence Inns). Hit Platinum each year based on 50 or so nights, plus the 15 credit card and spending. Will easily hit LTG by 12/31, but I'm wondering if I should take actions to hit LTP before year-end? I have 20+ years of working left, so the extra earnings of Platinum Premier and possibility of better upgrades would be nice. Odds of staying 75+ nights are low.

Questions:
1. Is it worth it to reach for LTP by 12/31 in my situation needing 500,000 points? Based on scheduled trips through September, I will get at least 100,000 points.
2. If it's worth it, how should I go about it? I can buy 50,000. I have 135,000 Amex MR that I could transfer to my spouse's SPG account and transfer them to MR through a backdoor. In that case (exceeding the spousal 50,000 point limit - does my account balance need to be lower than the "award"?) That would get me to 285,000 points. Credit card spend + travel in the last quarter are question marks, so I would need about 200,000 points. Best (cheapest) sources?

3. If it is not worth the effort and cost, do I need to make sure I hit LTG by August 1?
I'm not sure about your #2 . You can buy 50k. You can transfer in 50k from another MR account. Those increase your LT total.

I'm not following the spousal SPG account. In today's system, SPG -> MR transfers happen instantaneously, but don't increment your LT counter. (I tested this to reconfirm it 1 hour ago with 1,000 points.) So I'm not sure how you get the 185k counting towards the legacy LTP status in your account.

Admittedly, how things behave after August 1 when there's a combined account is a mystery to me. It sounds like they'll still be tracking "heritage Marriott source" separately from "heritage Starwood source" after that date, and you'll probably have to track it yourself manually to know for sure.

I'm also interested in cheap sources of points for later this summer or early fall. Marriott has always been one that had limited partner transfer-in options. (Probably one of the reasons that they've had comparatively little point inflation over the years. Most people get Marriott points by actually staying in hotels.) I'm already holding two MR Visas and one SPG Amex so new sign-up bonuses are not a source of points for me.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: DL FF, Marriott LT Plat., National EA
I just asked this question via Twitter:

"I am currently 27 elite nights away from Lifetime Platinum (under current rules). In order to get Lifetime Platinum PREMIER (under the NEW rules), do I need to earn these nights by 8/1/18 or by 12/31/18??"

We'll see if I hear back!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:21 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
How do you find your years as Plat?

Also, since new Plat is 50 nights should years as MR Gold not count towards LT Plat?

i.e. New Plat is old Gold
Relatedly, if years MR Gold counts as years toward new Lifetime Platinum Elite, does that mean that spending $10K on the R-C card gives you a year toward MR Gold? Or only years with 50 nights?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I'm still a ways off from Lifetime Platinum in either program, but the comments on Frequent Miler are interesting to me. Does status that was "matched" from SPG double-count under the lifetime totals? If so, that could change my strategy to "double-count" this year's SPG Platinum status under the old stay qualifications, and allow me to be only 4 years away from lifetime platinum with Marriott.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.