Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:41 pm

Can't see it working that way for platinum premier. As others have said, one time bone thrown to legacy lifetime platinum members. Conservatively, expecting the grandfathered platinum premier cutoff date to be August 1, whereas achieving existing lifetime gold or regular platinum goes to December 31
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by JLandon79
I'm adding this post per a conversation I had with a Rewards customer service agent that was ultimately escalated to higher levels at Marriott based on concerns with my personal situation. I currently hold lifetime gold status at both Marriott as well as at SPG (Marriott - 700 nights, 1.7M+ points; SPG - 350 nights, 700,000 pre-3:1 converted points, 2.1M post-converted points). Although I'm not going to hit LTP in either program by August, I expressed concern about not being grandfathered in to lifetime platinum premier status based on the fact that as an example, there could be a Marriott LTP member that barely qualified for LTP status granted this higher status versus someone like me, whose aggregate nights and points post-merger would be significantly higher than many legacy LTP members (which to me doesn't seem to reward someone that falls into this sliver of a situation which I'm sure many of you reading this do). For me personally, I'll have over 1,000 nights and over 3.5M+ lifetime points post-consolidation and felt that this shouldn't be overlooked. I was assured after talking with higher ups that someone in my situation would be grandfathered into lifetime platinum premier based on the order of operations they will execute the program merger and this idea that you have until the end of the calendar year to achieve the status in either program. I would encourage anyone else that falls into a similar situation to definitely call in and validate what I'm saying to ensure that this actually does come to pass (aka. the more of us that call I think the better).
Thank you for posting this. My situation is similar:

840 MR nights, 1,825,000 MR points
365 SPG nights, 575,000 SPG points x 3 = 1,725,000 translated to MR points

Totals: 1205 combined nights, 3.5 million combined lifetime points
Additionally: 9 years SPG Plat, 9 years MR Plat, = 18 years combined Plat status

Under the posted rules, this would only qualify for regular new MR Plat, which equals the old MR Gold

So I'll definitely be giving them a call to discuss!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:26 pm

has anyone got it confirmed that we have to December 31 to get our lifetime status? im 200.000 points from LP and make it to august is hard

I got this now from the chat
Erin H: In order to be grandfathered into the Lifetime Platinum Premier status, you would need to achieve the Lifetime Platinum status before August.
Erin H: Otherwise
Erin H:If you did not have the Lifetime Platinum status then, you would have to complete the requirements under our current rules by December 31, 2018 to become Lifetime Platinum.Me: but you say - You can also qualify via the existing criteria through December 31, 2018 in the lifetime page?
Erin H: You would only be able to be grandfathered into the Lifetime Platinum Premier status if you achieve the Lifetime Platinum before August. I did receive clarification on this and this is how it was explained to me.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
Thumbs up New platinum better than old gold, even old platinum

Originally Posted by tods27
Not really. The benefits for Platinum are pretty much the old Gold benefits, so they are winners in name only.
The new platinum has some VERY important new - and real - benefits:
1.) Suite Upgrades if available, and this one REALLY WORKS. I've been Marriott Plat for 5 years and SPG plat for 7 years in a row. Almost never during 60 nights a year (+2 events with People booking rooms) did I ever get a suite upgrade with Marriott - I think 1 or 2 times a year, ironically it happend for 3 of my 8 US stays during thoose years.
With SPG, I get consistently upgrade to Junior Suites / Suites for about 40% of my stays (Europe, Asia, Australia and I was lucky to have it happen even to half of my US stays).
When they merged the programs, I dropped my Marriott nights to around 10 for last year and this year each while still reaching 50 - 60 at SPG.
What happened to my Marriott stays? I got Suite Upgrades at Marriott 3 out of 10 times in 2016 and 4 out of 10 times last year (all in Europe).
So the Suite Upgrades always happened for SPG platinums, and tehy do happen for Marriott Platinums since they merged the programs, so the former Gold benefits do really increase.

2.) While the first one is more important, they also Extended the breakfast benefit. Sometimes there is just a Courtyard (at least in smaller European Cities), and now you'll get breakfast.
And by including all SPG properties, you just have more Hotel choices. So this really increases where you'll get breakfast, which was limited for Marriott Golds before (no Lounge/propterties not participating/fewer hotels).

So mapping old Golds to new platinums is not the same, it's really better :-)
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat
question

I currently have 440 lifetime nights and 1.68M points. Is it right that for me to qualify for Lifetime Platinum, I have to stay 60 more nights before the new program kicks in in August to become Lifetime Gold and then get the conversion to Lifetime Plat with the new rules? Is there a card or something else I can use to get me there (I currently am a MR Visa member).

If I don't get to 60 more nights, then is it true I will attain Lifetime Gold under the new program after August 1st and then have to stay 160 more nights (and have Plat for TEN! years) before getting Lifetime Plat?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I believe you have until December 31.

Yes, if you've never been PLT with MR, you would need an additional 100 nights and 10 years earned Platinum. (assuming you have nothing in an SPG account today).

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 18, 2018 at 9:22 am
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:50 pm

Ronin, definitely let me know what they tell you when you call in. The supervisor I ultimately spoke with seemed to totally understand my situation, my concerns, and indicated I had nothing to be worried about in terms of getting the grandfathered platinum premiere status. They said it's all out there on their site, however you would need to go to 5-6 different pages to gather all of the information to piece it together.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Jaenks
There is a possibility that Marriott adds during the next two-five years a Lifetime Platinum Premier level as highest in the new program with requirements of approx.800 to 1000 nights+10 Platinum years combined. Most,if not all SPG LTP are pissed off and will give their thoughts about the current decision. That voice must be heard!
Current LT SPG Plat (50+ nights) benefits pretty closely map to the new Marriott LT Plat (50+ nights) benefits, while current LT Marriott Plat (75+ nights) benefits pretty closely map to the new Marriott LT Plat Prem (75+ nights) benefits, so I have trouble following the assertions of unfairness.

I'm adding this post per a conversation I had with a Rewards customer service agent that was ultimately escalated to higher levels at Marriott based on concerns with my personal situation. I currently hold lifetime gold status at both Marriott as well as at SPG (Marriott - 700 nights, 1.7M+ points; SPG - 350 nights, 700,000 pre-3:1 converted points, 2.1M post-converted points). Although I'm not going to hit LTP in either program by August, I expressed concern about not being grandfathered in to lifetime platinum premier status based on the fact that as an example, there could be a Marriott LTP member that barely qualified for LTP status granted this higher status versus someone like me, whose aggregate nights and points post-merger would be significantly higher than many legacy LTP members (which to me doesn't seem to reward someone that falls into this sliver of a situation which I'm sure many of you reading this do). For me personally, I'll have over 1,000 nights and over 3.5M+ lifetime points post-consolidation and felt that this shouldn't be overlooked. I was assured after talking with higher ups that someone in my situation would be grandfathered into lifetime platinum premier based on the order of operations they will execute the program merger and this idea that you have until the end of the calendar year to achieve the status in either program. I would encourage anyone else that falls into a similar situation to definitely call in and validate what I'm saying to ensure that this actually does come to pass (aka. the more of us that call I think the better).
An argument against yours would be that someone who focused on loyalty to Marriott when they were separate (for example, many years of 75+ nights to achieve LT Plat) earned the right to keep LT status aligned with 75+ nights, nothing more, and someone who focused enough on SPG when they were separate (for example, many years of 50+ nights to achieve LT Plat) earned the right to keep LT status aligned with 50+ nights, nothing more. You didn't reach the level with Marriott to earn that 75+ grandfathering, so even though you did a good amount with SPG when they were separate, it doesn't automatically mean you showed loyalty to deserve the 75+ benefits.
jn in ca likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DL DM & 2MM
As a MR LT Plat I'm glad they decided to grandfather us into the PP level with the new program. I am curious if the LT PP status will include the suite night awards regardless of actual stays. It would also be great if Marriott came up with some sort of incentive / milestone program beyond LT PP. When the programs merge I'll end up at over 2,300 lifetime nights credit, over 8.5M lifetime points and Plat / PP for the past 15 years (mostly as part of MR program). As my parents are retiring soon and ready to travel the world I would appreciate the ability to gift them lifetime status based on my "overachievement" of both past and current lifetime requirements three times over. Hopefully Marriott is monitoring this thread and realizes there are likely many of us out there who achieved LT Plat years ago and remain loyal even if there aren't additional milestones to achieve.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Chase UR / Citi TY Transfer Question

if I transfer chase points to Marriott will they count towards lifetime status? What about Citi Thank You points?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by mooper
Current LT SPG Plat (50+ nights) benefits pretty closely map to the new Marriott LT Plat (50+ nights) benefits, while current LT Marriott Plat (75+ nights) benefits pretty closely map to the new Marriott LT Plat Prem (75+ nights) benefits, so I have trouble following the assertions of unfairness.

An argument against yours would be that someone who focused on loyalty to Marriott when they were separate (for example, many years of 75+ nights to achieve LT Plat) earned the right to keep LT status aligned with 75+ nights, nothing more, and someone who focused enough on SPG when they were separate (for example, many years of 50+ nights to achieve LT Plat) earned the right to keep LT status aligned with 50+ nights, nothing more. You didn't reach the level with Marriott to earn that 75+ grandfathering, so even though you did a good amount with SPG when they were separate, it doesn't automatically mean you showed loyalty to deserve the 75+ benefits.
I'd suggest rather that going forward this is a combined program of two great brands. This isn't the Marriott Company throwing a sop to loyal adherents of another part of the Marriott Company. They consistently state they are one brand joined together, not a lucky brother an a poor brother.
tbm13 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I hope this is true... but based on the website updates and everything I'm reading I doubt it. I'd love confirmation from the Lurkers or someone at Marriott.
jeanie and tbm13 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
My advice is to get this in writing. At the very least, I hope the supervisor noted your account. I have over 750 nights, but need about 75k points right now. I have about 33k SPG points. So that is enough after the conversion to put me over the top. But if I were to transfer those SPG points right now, they wouldn't count toward lifetime status.

I am seriously considering transferring 112k MR points to United for 50K miles. Then transferring the 50K miles back to MR. I know this would cost me 62K MR points. But would this work to get me the additional 50K lifetime qualifying points from the transfer? I don't want to try this, lose all those points in the conversion, and then not have the additional 50K lifetime points.

Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by mooper
I think people are over-reacting to the tier labels without actually understanding them.

In addition to your observation, Old MR Gold (50 nights) and Old MR Platinum (75 nights) were very similar. Plats get a welcome amenity of varying value, there's the point earn difference, and some minor stuff at the fringe (eg: unaffordable "guaranteed availability"), but otherwise both get the same important benefits (eg: lounge, breakfast, enhanced internet, late checkout).

In the new program, again New Plat (50 nights) and New Plat Premier (75 nights) are very similar. There's the point earn difference again, the guaranteed availability, and the suite night upgrades which probably don't even come with lifetime status, meaning New LTP and New LTPP are almost the same.

IMO this is about as fair a merged program as we were likely to get in terms of elite benefits. My one complaint is the August - December transition seems to make things unnecessarily complicated. Well, and the names of the tiers.
mooper likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Unfortunately, people here get emotional attachments to status levels. Ask how much they would pay for PP status over P status, as defined in the documents. I would bet it's very little. But knowing a bunch of people have a title that's "higher" - huge emotional impact.

It is what it is.
Major G, jeanie, mooper and 2 others like this.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 18, 2018 at 9:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.