Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by bennos
I've lost track, does converting SPG points to MR points count towards LT?
If you convert them today, they will NOT count toward LT status. However, I do not know how they will be treated when the programs are combined in August. in you situation I would just wait for August and see how things fall out.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Originally Posted by pinniped
Well, we're "winners" in that 1 day ago we were all worried we were going to get busted down to an equivalent to today's Silver, have the Travel Packages ripped away, and have a dynamic program.

We "won" in that Marriott left the fundamental piece of today's Gold status - breakfast/lounge - intact.

And I think there's one more shoe to drop that will make the new Platinum Premier status actually worth it: it would not shock me at all if United bumped up the Silver requirement to PP, keeping it at basically the 75-night level like it was. In other words, I am *not* expecting Star Silver as a regular Platinum after August 1st - I think you're going to need Plat Premier for that. I haven't seen it called out clearly yet, but I would think that UA and Marriott would want to keep that program somewhat where it was before.
On the Marriott Reward FAQ page about the new program, it states:
"There are no changes to the United RewardsPlus offering. If you have Platinum Premier Elite status, you will still be able to link and upgrade your United MileagePlus Account to Premier® Silver status."

Note that it specifically states Platinum PREMIER, and not just Platinum. Which means, you will still need 75 nights going forward (just like the old Marriott program) to get United Silver. Arguably for some, United Silver is a benefit that would make Platinum Premeir (75+ nights) more valuable than the new 50 night Platinum.

Link for referenced info:
https://members.marriott.com/faq/#ar...ed-mileageplus
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Now that the programs are about to merge, is it worth it to have the Marriott Visa Signature and the SPG Amex; as I doudt they would give you duplicate benefits.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by jfulcher
So does this mean they will merge in SPG lifetime points with MR lifetime points? I have 650 nights + 1.1million in Marriott and 370 and I'm not sure how many in SPG but i'm positive it's at least 300k which would ensure I had over 2 million when they combined and well over 750 if they combined.
My interpretation is that you would need to qualify as if the programs were still separate by 12/31.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I'm not sure about your #2 . You can buy 50k. You can transfer in 50k from another MR account. Those increase your LT total.

I'm not following the spousal SPG account. In today's system, SPG -> MR transfers happen instantaneously, but don't increment your LT counter. (I tested this to reconfirm it 1 hour ago with 1,000 points.) So I'm not sure how you get the 185k counting towards the legacy LTP status in your account.

Admittedly, how things behave after August 1 when there's a combined account is a mystery to me. It sounds like they'll still be tracking "heritage Marriott source" separately from "heritage Starwood source" after that date, and you'll probably have to track it yourself manually to know for sure.

I'm also interested in cheap sources of points for later this summer or early fall. Marriott has always been one that had limited partner transfer-in options. (Probably one of the reasons that they've had comparatively little point inflation over the years. Most people get Marriott points by actually staying in hotels.) I'm already holding two MR Visas and one SPG Amex so new sign-up bonuses are not a source of points for me.
How to bump your lifetime counter with SPG->Marriott Rewards point transfer from a spouse or other:
1) Have spouse create their own Marriott Rewards account and transfer SPG points to that Marriott account.
2) Have spouse call Marriott Rewards customer service and transfer Marriott points from their account to yours. If its 50k or less annually they will just do it. Your lifetime balance should go up, theirs will go down (on a brand new account, yes, they will have a negative balance since they started with 0 due to the SPG->MR transfer)
3) If need to transfer more than 50k, this MIGHT work
3a) Create a dummy hotel reservation that requires many more points than you have, but enough that it covers how many you want (let's say 160k points)
3b) When calling Marriott tell them you are transferring for that award reservation (the rules say above 50k is allowed for an award). They will issue an award ticket for the reservation, so you will end up with 0 and an award cert. But you will get the lifetime credit.
3c) Call back later and cancel the award cert.. the points should just redeposit into your account.

If there's some sort of weird claw back eventually in the system, I don't know. In my case I'm easily Lifetime Gold now, Lifetime Platinum later without ANY transferred points.. but if I decide to try for Lifetime Platinum now, lifetime Platinum Premier later, I may be playing this game. On the fence if the extra bonus points and few other trinkets is worth it, but tempted because I know I won't get another chance to be lifetime PeePee. Heh.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pitflyer
How to bump your lifetime counter with SPG->Marriott Rewards point transfer from a spouse or other:
1) Have spouse create their own Marriott Rewards account and transfer SPG points to that Marriott account.
2) Have spouse call Marriott Rewards customer service and transfer Marriott points from their account to yours. If its 50k or less annually they will just do it. Your lifetime balance should go up, theirs will go down (on a brand new account, yes, they will have a negative balance since they started with 0 due to the SPG->MR transfer)
3) If need to transfer more than 50k, this MIGHT work
3a) Create a dummy hotel reservation that requires many more points than you have, but enough that it covers how many you want (let's say 160k points)
3b) When calling Marriott tell them you are transferring for that award reservation (the rules say above 50k is allowed for an award). They will issue an award ticket for the reservation, so you will end up with 0 and an award cert. But you will get the lifetime credit.
3c) Call back later and cancel the award cert.. the points should just redeposit into your account.

If there's some sort of weird claw back eventually in the system, I don't know. In my case I'm easily Lifetime Gold now, Lifetime Platinum later without ANY transferred points.. but if I decide to try for Lifetime Platinum now, lifetime Platinum Premier later, I may be playing this game. On the fence if the extra bonus points and few other trinkets is worth it, but tempted because I know I won't get another chance to be lifetime PeePee. Heh.
Thanks for the explanation.

So the two salient points here are:
(1) I'm allowed to transfer my SPG points to a spouse's SPG account. (Or directly to a spouse's MR account?)
(2) My spouse can transfer a lot more than 50k MR to me if I'm immediately redeeming an award. Which I'd actually do for a Travel Package, so that part would be legit.

In other words, if I had 85k SPG points right now, I could do all of this and get my 250k MR. If both of these points hold true...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Thanks for the explanation.

So the two salient points here are:
(1) I'm allowed to transfer my SPG points to a spouse's SPG account. (Or directly to a spouse's MR account?)
(2) My spouse can transfer a lot more than 50k MR to me if I'm immediately redeeming an award. Which I'd actually do for a Travel Package, so that part would be legit.

In other words, if I had 85k SPG points right now, I could do all of this and get my 250k MR. If both of these points hold true...
You can transfer SPG points in between people directly without using Marriott Rewards, but then your lifetime counter for Marriott obviously doesn't change. I don't know if your lifetime counter for SPG changes.
And yes, you can redeem for more than 50k when transferring to an award -- if you have legitimate reason for an award that's even better.

The key point is SPG->Marriott transfer -- does not change either's lifetime balance. Marriott->Marriott transfer -- does change Marriott lifetime balance. SPG->SPG transfer -- ask on SPG board? I don't know.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
This thread is actually about "Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status"

The discussion/quotes around this seem to make it clear that everyone earns 5 at 50 and 5 at 75, though I agree that's not what the table indicates.

It also indicates a 100 nt/Ambassador status would never earn any. I don't believe either of those is correct. It would be a stunningly bad program design.
Not sure I understand, or maybe not sure I agree. If a Lifetime Plat becomes a Lifetime PP that person should get all the benefits of a Platinum Premier. It would be like saying now "You are a lifetime plat but no breakfast until you get to 50 nights" "Lifetime" utilizes the fiction that you have achieved that elite level for the year.

Anyway, I hope that's true...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:26 pm

Can I ask a (probably slightly dumb) question about how 'years elite' is calculated, for the purposes of Lifetime status?

If I (re)qualify for Platinum status this year (2018), that's 1 year elite.

Then in 2019, I do NOT qualify; I'm Platinum that year, but I didn't qualify (renew) that year.

In 2020, my status is downgraded. I then do the required nights and qualify for platinum in 2020.

Does that described pattern count as three years elite, or just two, according to the Marriott scheme?

Thanks very much!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:03 pm

Platinum Premier Grandfathering Concern

I'm adding this post per a conversation I had with a Rewards customer service agent that was ultimately escalated to higher levels at Marriott based on concerns with my personal situation. I currently hold lifetime gold status at both Marriott as well as at SPG (Marriott - 700 nights, 1.7M+ points; SPG - 350 nights, 700,000 pre-3:1 converted points, 2.1M post-converted points). Although I'm not going to hit LTP in either program by August, I expressed concern about not being grandfathered in to lifetime platinum premier status based on the fact that as an example, there could be a Marriott LTP member that barely qualified for LTP status granted this higher status versus someone like me, whose aggregate nights and points post-merger would be significantly higher than many legacy LTP members (which to me doesn't seem to reward someone that falls into this sliver of a situation which I'm sure many of you reading this do). For me personally, I'll have over 1,000 nights and over 3.5M+ lifetime points post-consolidation and felt that this shouldn't be overlooked. I was assured after talking with higher ups that someone in my situation would be grandfathered into lifetime platinum premier based on the order of operations they will execute the program merger and this idea that you have until the end of the calendar year to achieve the status in either program. I would encourage anyone else that falls into a similar situation to definitely call in and validate what I'm saying to ensure that this actually does come to pass (aka. the more of us that call I think the better).
ronin, jeanie and TravelinSperry like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by JLandon79
I'm adding this post per a conversation I had with a Rewards customer service agent that was ultimately escalated to higher levels at Marriott based on concerns with my personal situation. I currently hold lifetime gold status at both Marriott as well as at SPG (Marriott - 700 nights, 1.7M+ points; SPG - 350 nights, 700,000 pre-3:1 converted points, 2.1M post-converted points). Although I'm not going to hit LTP in either program by August, I expressed concern about not being grandfathered in to lifetime platinum premier status based on the fact that as an example, there could be a Marriott LTP member that barely qualified for LTP status granted this higher status versus someone like me, whose aggregate nights and points post-merger would be significantly higher than many legacy LTP members (which to me doesn't seem to reward someone that falls into this sliver of a situation which I'm sure many of you reading this do). For me personally, I'll have over 1,000 nights and over 3.5M+ lifetime points post-consolidation and felt that this shouldn't be overlooked. I was assured after talking with higher ups that someone in my situation would be grandfathered into lifetime platinum premier based on the order of operations they will execute the program merger and this idea that you have until the end of the calendar year to achieve the status in either program. I would encourage anyone else that falls into a similar situation to definitely call in and validate what I'm saying to ensure that this actually does come to pass (aka. the more of us that call I think the better).
So, is this basically saying that they will combine the data (in August, I presume), then assign a LT status, then convert that status to the new program? Sounds strange as they specifically noted that the LTPP was for existing MR LTP. I have yet to find any indication that they will calculate your lifetime points in SPG. Are you saying that you currently have 700,000 SPG points in your account? I can't see it being fair if they convert your current account balance and add it to LT points. That would effectively reward people who haven't actually used their SPG points. Or, are you saying that you somehow know your LT point accrual for SPG?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This feels *too* generous. The wording of the grandfathering seems to specifically rewards people who hit the LTP tier based on the legacy requirement. The combining happens afterwards and is designed to allocate "new" LTG and LTP to people who have a lot of activity across the two programs.

By what you were told, I'm LTPP right now. Probably a *lot* of Marriott LTGs reading this right now are as well, assuming they've run into a few SPG stays in their life. I don't interpret the rules this loose, but I guess Marriott now has a couple months to publish an answer to every crazy scenario that Flyertalkers can come up with. (I have no doubt we'll cover them all.)
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by pitflyer
You can transfer SPG points in between people directly without using Marriott Rewards, but then your lifetime counter for Marriott obviously doesn't change. I don't know if your lifetime counter for SPG changes.
And yes, you can redeem for more than 50k when transferring to an award -- if you have legitimate reason for an award that's even better.

The key point is SPG->Marriott transfer -- does not change either's lifetime balance. Marriott->Marriott transfer -- does change Marriott lifetime balance. SPG->SPG transfer -- ask on SPG board? I don't know.
OK, so the order of transfers is as follows:

(1) I have a bunch of SPG points. I set up an account for my wife, and directly transfer all of my points to her new SPG account.
(2) Wife transfers all of her SPG points to her Marriott account.
(3) Wife transfers all of her Marriott points to me as I'm redeeming a Travel Package.

It's all legit. My wife actually exists (), shares my address, and we'll use the Travel Package. Only question I guess would be whether there's an annual cap on the SPG side.

Lifetime points on the SPG side doesn't matter to me: I'm not close to the years-of-Plat needed to be an SPG LT Plat. Only the Marriott LT points matter, which should go up for me with Step 3 in this process.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
This feels *too* generous. The wording of the grandfathering seems to specifically rewards people who hit the LTP tier based on the legacy requirement. The combining happens afterwards and is designed to allocate "new" LTG and LTP to people who have a lot of activity across the two programs.

By what you were told, I'm LTPP right now. Probably a *lot* of Marriott LTGs reading this right now are as well, assuming they've run into a few SPG stays in their life. I don't interpret the rules this loose, but I guess Marriott now has a couple months to publish an answer to every crazy scenario that Flyertalkers can come up with. (I have no doubt we'll cover them all.)
i agree that I don’t think it will happen this way. But I don’t see why it’s too generous. I’m LTP with Marriott with 770 nights, have about 100 SPG nights. I get LTPP. I’m happy about that but not sure why a person with more total nights shouldn’t also get LTPP.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I hope the information you're given is accurate. I am SPG LTP with 635 nights and unkown number of LT SPG points, plus 339 MR LT nights and 987K points. My combined total should exceed 2MM MR points equivalent, and over 980 nights by Aug.1. I would be royally pissed, if I end up as LT Plat Elite (similar to current MR Gold) and no chance to get to LT Plat Premier Elite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.