Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by ncgator
this is from the website and my confusion

"In addition, when you combine Rewards and SPG accounts we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program. Members will have until year-end 2018 to complete stays in order to achieve the Lifetime Elite status thresholds to be grandfathered in at the previous thresholds for Rewards or SPG."

if I read this I understand that they will be combining points and nights and if you meet the thresholds by the end of 2018 you will be grandfathered in.
Thank you for posting this. The language has changed since last night. Previously the language stated that SPG members had until year-end to qualify and MR members only had until August. When I spoke to Marriott yesterday, the rep conferred with supervisors who confirmed the earlier date for MR. I am glad to know that the activity I have planned for the rest of the year will allow me to qualify for a higher lifetime status.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Assimilated Cajun

(2) Can past years in SPG status and in MR status be aggregated to meet the 7 or 10 year status requirements? In other words, if someone has 600 nights and was an SPG Plat for 5 years and an MR Plat for those same 5 years, does he or she have the necessary 10 years in Platinum Elite status? I can imagine that the answer to this question might be "Yes, but not counting 2017 or 2018 if your sole reason for having status in one program was that you had linked your status in the other program." But has MR given any information on this, or any hints?
Another source on this.

VftW:

For [lifetime] status under the new system, years of status in both the legacy Starwood and Marriott programs count — indeed if you have status in both programs in the same year, that’s two years of status.
Assimilated Cajun likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by JBord
I hope you are correct as I'd have about 8 years of MR Gold (current program) which is over 50 nights. I don't see it explained anywhere in the communication so I'm not banking on it until I see it happen. I'm a little over 500 nights too. So I'd not be far from LT Plat, which I'd be very happy with. Overall, I'm pleased with the changes, or lack of changes, and I'm glad 50 nights still means something both ongoing and for LT. If it didn't, I'd probably stay at Marriotts when convenient but otherwise pick hotels based on the property and price.

I'd also like to see my years at Gold on the web site. I suppose I could call, but it really doesn't matter until they clarify the conversion.
I don't think they have a very good handle on this from an IT perspective. It took me two minutes to get the information from SPG but after 30 minutes with MR they gave me wrong information. Seems they could only go back to 2015 and even that was hard for them to access. Kinda hard to get 10 years of elite status in 3 years!

Also, giving you credit for MR Gold towards the new Plat makes sense but this conflicts with the actual wording of the document. I won't make it without this either, most of my Plat years are SPG but I have several years of MR Gold (which they can't seem to find).

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Apr 17, 2018 at 9:24 am
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by sdd80
"And if you’ve previously achieved Lifetime Elite status in Rewards or SPG, you will have that Lifetime Elite status in the new program."

I read this to mean if I have LTG I will have LTG in the new program (NOT LTPE).

Is that correct?
It literally means if you had LT status before, you will have LT status later. It says nothing about levels.

Level alignment is in the program announcements.

If you had LT Gold in MR you have LT Platinum in the new program. If you had LT Gold in SPG, you have LT Gold in the new program.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I don't think they have a very good handle on this from an IT perspective. It took me two minutes to get the information from SPG but after 30 minutes with MR they gave me wrong information.
SPG had a requirement for years of Elite status as part of their LT program, so it doesn't surprise me that they were able to give you the information.

Of course, SPG also included qualification from having the SPG Amex (spend $30K and get Gold status) in their calculation of years of Elite status and as I noted up-thread, did not include years you might have been comped (soft landing) status.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ncgator
if I read this I understand that they will be combining points and nights and if you meet the thresholds by the end of 2018 you will be grandfathered in.[/color]
I don't read it that way. Your current status, earned under the individual program rules, through the end of 2018, will earn you the status in the "Elite Statut Today/Elite Status in August" table.

Separately, they will combine your history in both programs and you can earn the status in the "Starting in August, you’ll be able to qualify instantly for one of our three Lifetime tiers" table.

That's why they're labelled "Status Today' and "Starting in August". And "grandfathered in at the *previous thresholds* for Rewards or SPG"

I see nothing that indicates they will combine program numbers then retroactively see how you would have qualified under the old individual program rules with that combined data and reclassify your "Today" status for one-time conversion purposes.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 17, 2018 at 9:37 am
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My current situation:

Marriott:
- 730 LT Nights
- 1.75 million LT points
- Current LT Gold
- Many years (>10) as Gold or Plat

Starwood
- 110 LT Nights
- Don't know, but probably around 600k LT points
- Few years (3-4) as Plat
- 50k sitting in the account right now

Let's say hypothetically I want to make a run at LTPP by Dec 31, 2018. This is what I'm assuming I need to do:
- On August 1, I get an LTP card, simply because of my existing LTG status.
- I need 20 nights and 250k points by Dec 31 to reach LTPP.
- Between now and August 1, only points and nights at heritage-Marriott brands count.
- Between August 1 and Dec 31, I don't know...does a stay at a Westin count? Or not?
- Do the 600k Lifetime SPG or the 50k sitting in my SPG account ever factor in to LTPP? (I'm guessing no.)

The 20 nights will be easy. I'll get that through my regular business trips plus a few personal trips. The 250k *could* be a stretch, depending on what counts. I could do something funky, like redeem a United TP and then convert the United miles back to Marriott to create 50k (that's the cap), but I'd rather not waste a bunch of FF miles if I don't have to.

I'm thinking LTPP might be a nice status to have, given that it will finally be called out as an official status, meaning some hotels might really pay attention to it.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From earlier - yes, it clearly states that if you earned elite status in both programs in the same year, you would earn 2 years of elite status credit.

For the level you earned, obviously. So if you were SPG Gold and MR PLT one year, you earned 2 years towards the "7 years Gold or higher" but only 1 year towards the "10 years Platinum".
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
- Between August 1 and Dec 31, I don't know...does a stay at a Westin count? Or not?
No. You have until the end of the year to earn status - annual or lifetime - under the existing program rules with the existing program. Which means Marriott properties for the Marriott program.

It's analogous to:
If you have 100 SPG nights by 12/31, you have Ambassador status next year as you met the SPG criteria, with no spend requirement.

If you have 95 SPG nights and 5 MR nights by 12/31, you also need $20K spend. You didn't meet the SPG legacy criteria, so you need to meet the new program criteria.

In this case, there is no new program criteria. You need to meet the MR LT PLT numbers by 12/31. It's a bit of a one-time only thing, as there is no go-forward LT PP criteria.

Originally Posted by pinniped
- Do the 600k Lifetime SPG or the 50k sitting in my SPG account ever factor in to LTPP? (I'm guessing no.)
You guess correctly.

(All according to my understanding, of course, and subject to change. But I don't see 600 SPG nights getting LT PP - 750, matching MR, maybe)
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by soy
Per Frequent Miler conversation with a Marriott VP, they will count up all your 50night MRR years + the SPG Plat years to determine your lifetime Plat years in the new program

​​ Another question is how - if at all - soft landing or "close enough" years in status would count under the new program? Do the years when I didn't make Platinum but was granted it anyway count as years as Plat, or is it based on the actual nights?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's an interesting question. I believe SPG was clear that comped years weren't counted. But I've seen no documentation either way.

"achievement at that level" would imply you need to earn it, but that's far from clear.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
Wink Happy as a CURRENT LTP Member

Seems like the winners are current Marriott LTP members, like myself- Thankful
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Safti
Since this thread is about suite upgrades
This thread is actually about "Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status"

Originally Posted by Safti
So, if you are a grandfathered LTPP do you still need 75 nights to qualify for a suite upgrade? Wording seems confusing.
The discussion/quotes around this seem to make it clear that everyone earns 5 at 50 and 5 at 75, though I agree that's not what the table indicates.

It also indicates a 100 nt/Ambassador status would never earn any. I don't believe either of those is correct. It would be a stunningly bad program design.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by twoner32
Seems like the winners are current Marriott LTP members, like myself- Thankful
I'd actually say the SPG LT PLT's with >750 nights are the losers.

MR LTP members are where they should be, as are typical 5xx night LTP SPG members (and everyone else). But having no higher possibility there, even for folks with 1500 SPG nights, doesn't seem right. And I won't be surprised if it's changed.

I was both, so I guess I came out OK.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:58 am

IYES. I bought points in January. They posted just like regular points and were added to lifetime total. That is a quick way to get points before August. There is a 50000 point limit for purchase

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.