Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:11 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kpc
Thinking of booking a 5 night "cash and points" stay here in July. Is it possible to request (and get confirmed) an Instant Room Upgrade Award to a Le Royal Club Deluxe Room for 1500 SPG pts per night before our arrival?
Not sure why the rep is ignoring this Q...a "Yes" or "No" will suffice, and let me book my hotel stay in BKK accordingly
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:35 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by kpc
Not sure why the rep is ignoring this Q...a "Yes" or "No" will suffice, and let me book my hotel stay in BKK accordingly
Why not send the rep a PM and ask directly?
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:58 am
kpc

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Why not send the rep a PM and ask directly?
I did...the rep(s) have been active of FT since then, and still have not replied...
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:10 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
This hotel has a new GM. Expect some changes to follow... :-0
Old Dec 24, 2009, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
This hotel has a new GM. Expect some changes to follow... :-0
Do you have clues as to what changes you think should be expected?

Do you know who the new GM is? What property were they are previously?
Old Dec 24, 2009, 2:23 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Interesting that they have now a new GM. I know many FTer's have rode with PA when they were up and down. I think recently they have been very good and are now pricing themselves higher as a result of this. I'm not sure pricing themselves as high as other properties is in their best interest, but obviously their management have looked at the numbers and made these decisions carefully.

If they could stay a 500-1000 bahts under other starwoods properties I would select them, however with pulling even with the WGS and SGS of the world I may not be inclined to go with them. Their promotions have served them well in the past. The 2 for 1 that ended recently was a huge success I believe in getting them some filled rooms but at 2800 bahts a night was probably not as profitable as they would have liked.

Interested to see where this property goes from here.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:28 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Do you know who the new GM is? What property were they are previously?
ChooLeng Goh, previously Hotel Manager of the ROS, has been appointed General Manager of Plaza Athenee Bangkok.

http://www.thaipr.net/nc/readnews.as...38E1C5FE6D6A9F
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:29 am
Company Representative -Le Meridien Plaza Athenee Bangkok

Originally Posted by kpc
I did...the rep(s) have been active of FT since then, and still have not replied...
Apologies - this completely slipped through our fingers! Will respond in the next 12 hours.

Best regards,
Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Kalboz
ChooLeng Goh, previously Hotel Manager of the ROS, has been appointed General Manager of Plaza Athenee Bangkok.
Anyone know how this works? Is Starwood a management company (same way FS operates) with no ownership interest in the hotels? In that case, it strikes me that this would be more of an internal transfer from one location to another. Or is Starwood just an affiliation primarily for marketing, in which case I imagine that this would be more along the lines of moving to a competitor. Does Starwood own any of its properties?
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by http://www.starwoodhotels.com/corporate/company_info.html
Our hotel business emphasizes the global operation of hotels and resorts primarily in the luxury and upscale segment of the lodging industry. We seek to acquire interests in, or management or franchise rights with respect to properties in this segment. At December 31, 2008, our hotel portfolio included owned, leased, managed and franchised hotels totaling 942 hotels with approximately 285,000 rooms in approximately 100 countries, and is comprised of 69 hotels that we own or lease or in which we have a majority equity interest, 436 hotels managed by us on behalf of third-party owners (including entities in which we have a minority equity interest) and 437 hotels for which we receive franchise fees.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:41 pm
Company Representative -Le Meridien Plaza Athenee Bangkok

Originally Posted by kpc
Thinking of booking a 5 night "cash and points" stay here in July. Is it possible to request (and get confirmed) an Instant Room Upgrade Award to a Le Royal Club Deluxe Room for 1500 SPG pts per night before our arrival?
You can upgrade to a Royal Club room even before arrival - our Contact Centre will be able to assist in processing the ugprade.

Otherwise, feel free to send us your details and we can process it from our end as well.

Apologies again for the late response.

Best regards,
Old Dec 24, 2009, 11:03 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)
You can upgrade to a Royal Club room even before arrival - our Contact Centre will be able to assist in processing the ugprade.

Otherwise, feel free to send us your details and we can process it from our end as well.

Best regards,
your responsiveness on this thread is very impressive. makes me want to think about moving from the sgs to your hotel. keep it up as it is good for your business imho.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 12:30 am
kpc

Originally Posted by Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)

Best regards,
Great news^ Need to finalise some dates, then I will book 2 stays...
Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:19 am

Programs: Industry insider
Ms. Goh, General Manager of Plaza Athenee Bangkok

Ms. Goh is well appreciated in the circles of Starwood insiders. She has been in charge for a while even if the official announcement went out only recently. I think that the property will continue its ascendancy. As some of you know, Starwood has some great development plans for the Thai capital and for Asia in general.

Perhaps she'll stop by to introduce herself here. Those visiting can probably see her roaming around the property.

TT
Old Dec 25, 2009, 6:09 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
The new GM, like many in Asia, recieved her promotion through patrongage. The press release has all the clues you need to understand this situation. I hear there's a shaking of the tree at the PA that normally accompanies such changes, but am sworn to secrecy as to the details.

As for the ownership structure of the Thailand SPG hotels, as far as I know the Royal Orchid Sheraton is the ONLY SPG owned property at 49%.

The owner of the PA is Khun Charoen Siriwattanaphakdee, or "Mister Chang (Beer)". He owns 40 hotels in Thailand, including the Le Meridians in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. I believe his office is in the Empire Building, which he also owns. I hear he's listed on the Forbes as the 4th richest person in Thailand. http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/85/...akdi_A5FA.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.